• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories Appreciation thread

fkl118

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
Is this the best type of maple?

I'd say yes, but I'm biased.
wink.gif

Happy Canada Day!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Truly the LabelKingest of umbrellas. Most fitting.
+1

I agree, LK never ceases to provide a most uniquely elegant example of an item. It's a magnificent piece. Thanks for posting the pic.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
James Smith one-piece stick umbrella, polished maple, black nylon canopy.

With slip cover:

p1030948wu5.jpg

Without; note the two closure straps:

p1030951mk8.jpg

Nameplate logo; Brigg's go all the way around; Smiths are ovals:

p1030953dl5.jpg

Closeup of the ring and button fastener; identical to Brigg's:

p1030954uv2.jpg

Interior shot #1:

p1030955ax9.jpg

Interior shot #2:

p1030956cv1.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Does anyone here have a Maglia Francesco? I think they make the private label umbrellas for Facconable and the better Brooks Brothers ones.
I have a couple from BB that were made in Italy but I don't know the maker. Both umbrellas are of better quality than my Brigg.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Extremely slim and elegant solid stick English silk umbrella from Edwardian period with 18 carat gold engraving decorated ferrule and antique sterling silver eagle's head handle by noted Belgian silversmith, Delheid Freres

This is beautiful!

Originally Posted by Manton
James Smith one-piece stick umbrella, polished maple, black nylon canopy.

... Nameplate logo; Brigg's go all the way around; Smiths are ovals:

Yours is identical to mine apart from the name plate. Do you like the oval? I got mine without one because I think it looks a bit "stuck on"... and it didn't hurt my sense of righteousness that (I think, from memory) it was a bit cheaper than the ones with the plates.
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Yours is identical to mine apart from the name plate. Do you like the oval? I got mine without one because I think it looks a bit "stuck on"... and it didn't hurt my sense of righteousness that (I think, from memory) it was a bit cheaper than the ones with the plates.
smile.gif

I ordered mine by telephone. I knew I wanted a one-piece stick umbrella in black. They have a limited selection of woods in one piece at any given time. They asked me how tall I was and then told me what was available. The oval nameplate did not come up at all. I just assumed that was on all their products.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ah well, my memory of the purchase is a little hazy... maybe I just got lucky (from my perspective, anyway).

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the ideal umbrella size to body height? Question to all here: do your umbrellas rise to exact height of the resting hand like so here:
2-avengers.jpg

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great pics - the silk looks beautiful. Does it really sound different when it rains?
A little, but it's nothing amazing. I'm usually scurrying to get out of the rain.
Does anyone know the ideal umbrella size to body height? Question to all here: do your umbrellas rise to exact height of the resting hand like so here:
Ideally, your arm will be slightly bent when holding the handle, with the umbrella's tip on the ground. Anything shorter and it will be awkward when you attempt to stroll with it like a cane, which is an almost irresistible temptation. Brigg makes three lengths to accommodate various heights, while Smith will cut to length. Personally, I would not consider a full-length umbrella that was not the proper length -- I lost the tip off my Fox and nearly went nuts until I got it replaced.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
A little, but it's nothing amazing. I'm usually scurrying to get out of the rain.

Ah, not quite the romantic-sounding pitter-patter I was led to believe!
smile.gif

Ideally, your arm will be slightly bent when holding the handle, with the umbrella's tip on the ground. Anything shorter and it will be awkward when you attempt to stroll with it like a cane, which is an almost irresistible temptation. Brigg makes three lengths to accommodate various heights, while Smith will cut to length. Personally, I would not consider a full-length umbrella that was not the proper length -- I lost the tip off my Fox and nearly went nuts until I got it replaced.
Absolutely agree - your arm needs to be slightly bent when holding the brolly vertical & by your side for it to be comfortable when walking. It feels weird otherwise. The Steed photo shows him holding the brolly out to the side and angled in front of him, so there's an optical illusion to its length, making it appear shorter. His brolly in the show is actually the right length for him I think, if I remember correctly.

I don't think there's a magic formula - when getting the Smith cut to size, I made a suggestion as to my preferred length, the staff advised a bit too and we pondered the imponderable for a few minutes before adopting a "suck it and see" approach which happened to get it right first time.
smile.gif

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doc, Are most of the umbrellas posted here, Briggs, Smiths, Fox, etc., strong enough at the tip to stroll with?
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
A little, but it's nothing amazing. I'm usually scurrying to get out of the rain. Ideally, your arm will be slightly bent when holding the handle, with the umbrella's tip on the ground. Anything shorter and it will be awkward when you attempt to stroll with it like a cane, which is an almost irresistible temptation. Brigg makes three lengths to accommodate various heights, while Smith will cut to length. Personally, I would not consider a full-length umbrella that was not the proper length -- I lost the tip off my Fox and nearly went nuts until I got it replaced.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Doc,

Are most of the umbrellas posted here : Briggs, Smiths, Fox, etc. strong enough at the tip to stroll with?

The tip is not the problem. The weak point of a typical brolly is where the crooked handle is joined to the shaft. That's why one piece "stick" umbrellas are meant for use as walking sticks/canes: there is no such joint.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
+1

I agree, LK never ceases to provide a most uniquely elegant example of an item. It's a magnificent piece. Thanks for posting the pic.

This is beautiful!

It really resembles a walking stick in slimness. I have not seen a modern umbrella that slim.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ Manton,

I See. Thanks for the info.

@ everyone

Looking back at the pic I posted of P. Macnee, does anyone know why he buttons top and last and not the middle?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads