• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The V-Diet (Velocity Diet) - who's done it and does it work?

TintinATL

Reaction score
I came across a link to this diet on a posting here some time ago, and kept it:

http://www.t-nation.com/readPhysClin...dra?id=1852678

It seems a little extreme but I am thinking of giving it a try. Basically you live on protein shakes and eat only one meal of real food a week. I like the fact that it seems like it would be very simple to follow. However, I am a bit skeptical that it may just be a plug to purchase the company's protein shakes and supplements - if you buy everything that's listed in the diet, it comes to around $800 (the diet lasts a month).

So, before going for it, I wondered if anyone here has tried it and if so, what the results were?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
there are mods you can make to make it more liveable, like 1 solid meal a day. i have done this before and lost in the neighborhood of 7-10lbs. of fat over 21 days.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont get how one would have the discipline to live on protein shakes but not the disciplin to keep eating varied foods in lesser amounts.

Any diet that cuts some nutrients to zero cant be good.

Protein needs even for those who do weight trraining are exaggerated, let alone living on solely proteins.

You needs carbs and some fats just as much as you need proteins.

And unused protein will end up as gained weight as well.

Not to mention potential kidney problems from too much protein intake.

ANything can work for a month. I quit dinner for a month and i lost like 7 kilos. Still sounds healthier than just living on shakes, not to mention much cheaper.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you'd have to eats massive amounts of protein to interrupt kidney function. and you would supplement with vitamins, fish oil, fiber, etc.

it's not a long-term solution.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The diet works well if you stick to it in its entirety. Don't expect huge weight loss unless you are significantly overweight. Some weight will be water weight due to drinking so much water. alan: the V-diet is applealing because it is easy. You don't need to weigh your food as often as if you ate varied foods in lesser amounts. It also saves much time. The V-diet has adequate carbs and fats, although you can't get away with any junk food. The V-diet isn't special or revolutionary; it just saves cooking time. The kidney problems associated with too much protein intake have been overblown. TintinATL: On one hand, it is a plug for Biotest products. However, I have found that the Metabolic Drive Complete does keep hunger down. I'm not sure why; it might be due to the fiber they stick in. I've done a similar diet (I just used protein powder - no creatine or post-work-out Surge) and lost weight. I've also done the normal eat small portions diet and lost weight. The diet with protein powder saved alot of time but I got bored of the taste after I finished the diet.

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
ht

The kidney problems associated with too much protein intake have been overblown.

This is true. Protein restriction is helpful for relieving symptoms of chronic kidney failure, but this is not the same thing as saying a high protein diet causes kidney failure. I would not recommend a high protein diet to a person with known preexisting renal impairment, but it is fine for those with normal kidney function as long as it is not at the expense of other essential nutrients.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
there are mods you can make to make it more liveable, like 1 solid meal a day. i have done this before and lost in the neighborhood of 7-10lbs. of fat over 21 days.
Why would that even work? Isn't the whole point to stick to protein only? and part of the diet's draw is simple...you just drink protein shakes. It sucks but at least it takes a lot of the hesitation over what to eat out of the picture.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how would a solid meal of nearly all lean protein interfere or throw the diet off?

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
how would a solid meal of nearly all lean protein interfere or throw the diet off?

I'm assuming the "nearly" part may be a slight problem but more than that, what's the point of even doing this diet mixed if you do that? Why not just eat solid pieces of protein?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics