• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories Appreciation thread

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
perlmutt.jpg
Oertel Handmade Mother-of-Pearl http://www.european-umbrellas.com/luxury/luxury.php

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The MOP handle looks like a disco ball.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here own an Oertel? Where is it made? I've asked this on the other umbrella thread and got no answers so hopefully someone comes across this one. I got to say, that MOP Oertel is a bit much .Looks like a marital aid.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there places in America that can change the handles on your umbrellas? Like, if you owned one and wanted a wangee or silver handle, who does that?

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doc, Which house is this from? Such a classy top to look up to. This is Appreciation at its very best.
peer2.jpg
[/quote]

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Are there places in America that can change the handles on your umbrellas? Like, if you owned one and wanted a wangee or silver handle, who does that?

It seems like any after-market work gets referred to Gilbert Stuart, in New York City. I'm not sure if he does handle replacement, but it might be worth a call. He'd be able to direct you to the proper place, if he doesn't (and if such a place exists). Short of that, you might try contacting the manufacturer, but if the manufacturer is overseas, it might be as economical to consider the purchase of a new umbrella.

Originally Posted by Coho
Doc,

Which house is this from? Such a classy top to look up to. This is Appreciation at its very best.

That's a closeup of the Peerless.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
For you gents with the pretty umbrellas, how well do they hold up to wind? (like Seattle wind)

I don't know Seattle, but they stand up to UK breezes with much more firmness than cheaper brollys do.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Man, some great stuff showing up in this thread. I'm digging all the pics. Nice to see your Smith, HF -- seems like photos of those are a rare commodity.

Glad to have added to the virtual database then!
smile.gif

With the discussion of silk v. nylon in the other umbrella thread, I thought it might be nice to see the view from beneath three different canopies.
Great pics - the silk looks beautiful. Does it really sound different when it rains?

Originally Posted by yfyf
This may sound like blasphemy but aren't the nice umbrellas also very heavy?

I can't say I've noticed any difference, to be honest.

Also, the curved handle umbrellas are a million times more practical. There have been innumerable times when I had to juggle things in my hands and it was so much more practical to be able to hook it onto my arm for a minute.
Very good point, I agree!

Originally Posted by Aluan
Do you think it's possible to actually fly in a strong wind with the right umbrella, like Mary Poppins? Not that anyone would want to on purpose, but I'm kind of worried about it happening and where I might end up.

laugh.gif
I now want this to happen...

Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Oertel Handmade Mother-of-Pearl

Tony Manero called. He wants his umbrella back...
smile.gif

(if he doesn't take it, I would though!)

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The MOP handle looks really delicate -- I can't imagine it would last very long without panels chipping or coming off.

My full-size Brigg travel umbrella is fairly light, as are the solid stick ones I've handled. The metal-tubed golf umbrellas are quite heavy, though.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any difference in shape between the Brigg golf umbrellas and their normal umbrellas?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
My full-size Brigg travel umbrella is fairly light, as are the solid stick ones I've handled. The metal-tubed golf umbrellas are quite heavy, though.

RJman, is your travel Brigg the three-piece screw on version? If so, how do you like it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads