• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: Ralph Lauren Outlet a@ Woodbury Opened Today 25% Off Promotion

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The fit of Black Label and GF is radically different. I dig BL but find GF essentially unwearable. BL has narrow shoulders and an extremely slim fit, while Golden Fleece has broad shoulders and a boxy fit. I'd say GF is much more similar to PL than BL.

Qualitywise, I'd rank PL above both GF and BL. But they're all fine suits.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i hope the RLPL I bought fits. RLBL just fits me ...

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doc, I own several RLBL pieces ranging from suits to shirts to pants. I love how they fit me. I've never tried on Purple Label. From your post, I am sensing that the shoulders are wider on Purple Label and the waist not as suppressed. Is this a fair read? Of course this is in comparison to Black Label. Looking at the RLPL collections from the last few shows on men.style.com however shows a pretty nipped waist. Perhaps the real life pieces aren't as extreme in fit.
Originally Posted by blackplatano
I'm in your exact situation. I would love to see some pics of the pants to determine whether I should pull the trigger myself.
Got my mid grey Black Label pants today. They are perfect. Fit is spot on. Black Label pants are pretty trim without being (skin) tight and they sport a moderate hem circumference in between being tapered and straight leg. In my opinion a well balanced cut. If you have every tried on a Black Label suit, their odd trousers will fit the same. The are mid to low rise though, if that bothers you. If not, I say go for them. They are worth every penny in my opinion, even at $182 shipped.

Keith S.

Reaction score
I just feel like i need to comment on this thread;

I work at the J Crew in the woodbury outlets...and yeah, cool seeing them mentioned here.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes!! just scored another RLPL suit, Alex was kind enough to let me know she found some more in my size.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

andyw

Reaction score
Hi fellas, dropped in yesterday during my commute and noticed the overcoats and jackets, which along with the suits and sports jackets are definite bargains. Several smartly cut black overcoats, several cashmere overcoats and several leathers........and I believe all discounted to $450.

I picked up a RLBL dark brown leather balmacan overcoat, reversable with a fine wool fabric on the other side. The fit is fantastic and trim, unlike most balmacan that baloon in the chest and shoulders, and better proportioned than the haute couture Burberry line. I died when I saw the original price tag at $4,599, marked down to $599, then with 25% discount.........a sale price of $450. I revived quickly and proceeded to check-out.

Those that can get up to Woodbury should. Away from the frenzy of this site and the total focus on suits, give yourself a chance to check out the other fine goods on display. I also recall seeing some fine fairisle patterned cashmere sweaters, loads of trousers and lots of ties. I guess that's also my assignment when I swing by again next week.

Enjoy!

cbj

Reaction score
I called up this morning to see if they still had anything in 42R. They told me there was a RLBL 2B double vented suit in brown (sounded like heavy wool or possibly flannel). There was also a RLPL cashmere blazer with notch lapels and a ticket pocket. Neither were what I was looking for, so I thought I would pass it along.

laxnate

Reaction score
Just called in and picked up a RLBL 2B double vented brown pinstripe in 36R. Nothing else left in 36S or 36R. Was a little worried that the 25% off sale was finished but apparently its still running. Good luck to anyone else late to the party like I was.

The SA that picked up initially wasn't very helpful in answering the questions I had about the suit but the manager I spoke with was able to give me a lot more information and was very nice through the whole process.

Thanks to RLGirl for the phone number, I got right through.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone know if 44Rs are available? haven't seen this size talked about much - might be a reason for that.

RLgirl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by laxnate
Just called in and picked up a RLBL 2B double vented brown pinstripe in 36R. Nothing else left in 36S or 36R. Was a little worried that the 25% off sale was finished but apparently its still running. Good luck to anyone else late to the party like I was.

The SA that picked up initially wasn't very helpful in answering the questions I had about the suit but the manager I spoke with was able to give me a lot more information and was very nice through the whole process.

Thanks to RLGirl for the phone number, I got right through.

so im sorry about the inconviniece w/ the SA this morning. the two morning girls werent from our store, they were cashiers from the polo clothing store, so i dont think they really knew much. they just werent used to the different atmosphere, since they dont customer service were they are, just ring, literally. but i am glad that you were able to speak to a manager who was able to help you.

Originally Posted by teddieriley
anyone know if 44Rs are available? haven't seen this size talked about much - might be a reason for that.

so as of yesterday, we did have a few 44's available. im not sure what is left though. so tomorrow i will take note and definitely post. i will try to make another suit inventory list, and then post it. this way everyone will be able to see what is available. but keep in mind, it being a sunday, i dont know how busy we will be, but i will try

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RLgirl
so as of yesterday, we did have a few 44's available. im not sure what is left though. so tomorrow i will take note and definitely post. i will try to make another suit inventory list, and then post it. this way everyone will be able to see what is available. but keep in mind, it being a sunday, i dont know how busy we will be, but i will try

Can someone please call Ralph and let him know what a gem of a person his corporation has!!
worship.gif

She may singlehandidly sell most of the RLPL/BL in the state....and can accuratly describe a suit to SF standards....with a smile!!
worship.gif
worship.gif

Regards.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
Can someone please call Ralph and let him know what a gem of a person his corporation has!!
worship.gif

She may singlehandidly sell most of the RLPL/BL in the state....and can accuratly describe a suit to SF standards....with a smile!!
worship.gif
worship.gif

Regards.

Seconded! Alex, you're the best

BABuckeye

Reaction score
Per Denise, there are no more overcoats left in any size.

Also, only one 44: RLPL suit, 44R, black DB pinstripe.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received help from Nicole, Trisha, and of course Alex this week. They were all helpful, especially Alex who alerted about a suit in my size after I called to take one off of hold since I decided against it.

It's like the famous line from the Godfather III, "Just when I think I'm out...they pull me back in."

After letting Alex know I decided against a charcoal suit I had put on hold on Thursday, Alex told me she was taking inventory and asked if she should call me back in a little bit to see if there anything was in my size that struck my fancy. Being weak willed, I said sure. At this point I was trying to save a little money as I had just scored a Black Label Navy linen suit off Yoox.

Sure enough, she calls back about an hour later to let me know that had a solid Navy in my size. I was extremely excited and asked to put on hold, "I'll get back to you soon." She called back 2 minutes later because she forgot to mention that this was a heavier weight Navy. At this point I was extremely excited because there was black label navy serge suit I had my eye last fall. I was immediately drawn to it when I was in my local RL store. It was there still during the winter semi annual sale and was marked down to a rediculously low $465. I decided at the time though my money was better spent on a black label navy pinstripe and a black label cord jacket and pants as I could get more use out of these items (as I had neither but arleady had a year round navy solid in my possession). Several times since then, I had thuoght about that suit. The drape of the fabric was just so great. Oh well, I figured. Low and behold 6 months later, Alex calls to tell me they have it. As soon as I describe the diagonal ribbing, she said yep that's the one. I thought about it over the evening and called back yesterday and decided to get it after all. I even had Trisha confirm it was from the Fall 07 collection and it was.

So thanks Alex. I've had my eye on this one for a while now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads