• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ I like that one. Are there any other pictures of it?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
^ I like that one. Are there any other pictures of it?

It's a fairly thin vertical case:

2616678851_69a5e39c3d.jpg

2616675973_699dacc96d.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LK, this is a great briefcase. Vintage LV is terrific and this is a great example. I find myself far more interested in vintage cases than new ones.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, it's a particularly interesting looking case given the sleek profile.

I think vintage goods hold a lot more promise in terms of look and quality than most new items, which have a generic sheen to them. However, I do like the look of the Valextra Premier, especially the zipper.

1_valextra_3_545x363.jpg

Unit 91

Reaction score
That LV is marvelous. Really cool looking and I'm not a big fan of logos plastered everywhere.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
update: met with Myron Glaser yesterday to inspect the dyed hyde he's going to use for my bag and it's simply stunning
inlove.gif

being a shoe antiquer myself, I really appreciate how leather looks as it ages and I have to say that what Myron achieved using only natural vegetable dyes is almost unbelievable

there's a good chance that the case will be finished this coming week, so hopefully that happens and I can post lots of pictures before Friday

I'm away for the 4th but when I get back, I'll do a full trip report with lots of pictures of Glaser Deigns and his pieces

edit: also heard that Ghurka closed their San Francisco in the past 2 weeks

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^The leather on the Tusting is aging nicely.

Originally Posted by NorCal_1
...when I get back, I'll do a full trip report with lots of pictures of Glaser Deigns and his pieces

You'd better with all of this teasing! Can't wait to see it. I know you've got to be excited.

samurai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bob01
Would this still be true in say....90F/32C degree weather with 90-100% humidity, on a strap leaning/rubbing against my thigh/lower back for extended walking/standing periods? (Trying to think worse case scenario...ok guess worst case would include rain blowing sideways...typical Miami Summer weather...but lets assume a sudden rain shower doesn't occur ;-))

On a side note, on average, how much do you all carry (weight-wise) in your brief case/bag?, with an average 15" laptop and say portfolio and some documents - I would assume a minimal of 14 lbs/6.3kgs (including the weight of the bag)? - seems like alot to carry over long distances with a handle (thinking back to my days at working as an I.T. mgr at a large resort...a round trip from one end to the other was 1/4 mile, or rushing through the loooong airport terminals)

Bob - In the kind of heat/humidity you describe there could be some risk of polish rubbing off. However, in that kind of weather I would not be carrying that briefcase at all. Something in a light natural tan would seem a good choice. As always, JMO. Larry.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
^The leather on the Tusting is aging nicely.

You'd better with all of this teasing! Can't wait to see it. I know you've got to be excited.

very, very excited
bounce2.gif

p.s. read travel writer Peter Greenberg's review of his own Glaser case:

IMG_6208_2.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samurai
Bob - In the kind of heat/humidity you describe there could be some risk of polish rubbing off. However, in that kind of weather I would not be carrying that briefcase at all. Something in a light natural tan would seem a good choice. As always, JMO. Larry.
I've sustained numerous stains on my clothing from a couple of leather items in hot/humid weather. My most recent was a brown RL portfolio last summer in the Washington DC heat. I also had this happen from a nice vintage brown leather Land garment bag. Fortunately the stains came out.

Unit 91

Reaction score
You guys actually use polish on your bags? I've used leather conditioner (the same stuff I use on my belts). Am I doing this wrong? I really don't want to ruin a nice leather bag.

Thanks.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unit 91
You guys actually use polish on your bags? I've used leather conditioner (the same stuff I use on my belts). Am I doing this wrong? I really don't want to ruin a nice leather bag.

Thanks.

I don't use polish, only a conditioner.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads