• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Supplement Thread!

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LA can be metabolized into DHA and EPA, so eating canola-based mayonnaise can be decent enough.

Fish Oil is highly overrated.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Right but the body is incredibly inefficient at this.

ALA can be metabolized into DHA and EPA

Here's my regimen:

Morning:
5 grams spirulina and/or chlorella to get me going

After breakfast:
1 gram ascorbic acid
1 gram lysine
1 gram MSM
1,000 IU D3

After lunch:
1 gram ascorbic acid
1 gram lysine
1 gram MSM

Evening:
Sometimes 5 more grams of chlorella

After dinner:
1 gram ascorbic acid
1 gram lysine
1 gram MSM

Before bed:
5 grams magnesium citrate
50 mg zinc picolinate

Also I have whey/egg/lecithin shakes after workouts.

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
ALA can be metabolized into DHA and EPA, so eating canola-based mayonnaise can be decent enough.

Fish Oil is highly overrated.

I totally disagree. Humans are not very good at converting ALA to EPA and even less able to convert it to DHA. Fish oils are our main sources of these ***** acids. While many nutritional supplements have very limited or no evidence at all that they are beneficial, there is considerable scientific data on the benefits of fish oil supplementation. Sources?? Just google and you will find plenty. I am not in the mood to do a PubMed search right now; maybe after I have my fish oil!

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah from the research I've done, I read less than 2 or 3% of ALA is converted to EPA, DHA. I just didn't say anything because I didn't save the link to that study and why demands that others do his research for him if the argument does not support his views.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take an omega-3 supplement. Also selenium (supposed to be good for the prostate), zinc, vitamins B, C, E, A. I read about the combination of alpha lipoic acid and acetyl l-carnitine (commonly called ALA and ALC) and how it's effective in preventing Alzheimer's. In general it aids cognitive function. Evidently, humans lose these chemicals as they age. Also, try to eat more fish. Not hard to do because I love it. I usually have two smoked salmon fillets a week.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Yeah from the research I've done, I read less than 2 or 3% of ALA is converted to EPA, DHA. I just didn't say anything because I didn't save the link to that study and why demands that others do his research for him if the argument does not support his views.

No, I already did the research.

There's no amount of EPA and DHA that are considered 'enough' for the human body, so I don't know where most of the EFA comments come from.

Anyone know of a study that measures EFA intake and their effects?

eidolon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
No, I already did the research.

There's no amount of EPA and DHA that are considered 'enough' for the human body, so I don't know where most of the EFA comments come from.

Anyone know of a study that measures EFA intake and their effects?

I know of none that go particularly high (15g+) in dosage. The only presumed downside to a high dosage is blood-thinning (obviously), but I would guess there are others.

I have to admit that, taking into consideration prior postings where you have appeared to be knowledge, I am baffled by your assertion that small amount of ALA (assuming you do not inhale mayonnaise throughout the day) would somehow be sufficient to try and "right" the 3:6 balance. The amount of ALA consumed would be minimal, and the eventual metabolization is horribly inefficient. Fish oil is overrated by people that consider it to be some kind of panacea, but it's useful for pretty much everyone in that it is the easiest way (price, availability, dosage) to get DHA and EPA (and depending on what you're taking, CLA).

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eidolon
I have to admit that, taking into consideration prior postings where you have appeared to be knowledge, I am baffled by your assertion that small amount of ALA (assuming you do not inhale mayonnaise throughout the day) would somehow be sufficient to try and "right" the 3:6 balance. The amount of ALA consumed would be minimal, and the eventual metabolization is horribly inefficient. Fish oil is overrated by people that consider it to be some kind of panacea, but it's useful for pretty much everyone in that it is the easiest way (price, availability, dosage) to get DHA and EPA (and depending on what you're taking, CLA).

ALA is an n-3, so it will help 'correct' the 3:6 balance somewhat.

I also cannot find anything to actually verify what percentage of ALA is converted into EPA/DHA outside of supplement websites selling EPA and DHA. Anyone have a study that actually shows the percentage?

eidolon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
ALA is an n-3, so it will help 'correct' the 3:6 balance somewhat.

I also cannot find anything to actually verify what percentage of ALA is converted into EPA/DHA outside of supplement websites selling EPA and DHA. Anyone have a study that actually shows the percentage?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9637947
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15576848
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16441943
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16188209
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17275274

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A multi-vitamin, Kyolic Garlic formula 104, chromium picolinate and a couple of gel-caps of psyllium powder.

I tried PGX powder, but it was just too gross. I may try the PGX capsules in place of the psyllium at some point.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take the following supplements:

Whey Protein
Fish oil
Flax seed oil
Creatine ethyl ester

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i am wondering if any of you do this as well:

i know alot of multivitamins that come in hard tablet form. mine do. i am not too sure/keen on the absorbtion of these, so i take 3x the recommended dose.

let say twice a day, instead of 1 tablet, i take 3 . i also sort of prechew them up in my mouth before swallowing to get more abraded surface area to volume ratio.

my multivitamin does not have a high iron content (10% daily recommended)

is there anything i need to be aware of/cautious of before i continue doing this?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not sure that chewing them up will help with absorption, won't it all get separated in your stomach anyway? Also check to make sure you are not getting too much zinc from taking 3 multis. Although, I'm sure it's a poorly absorbed zinc gluconate in there anyway.

Instead of having to take so many tablets and chewing them, why not just get a better multi where you don't need to do that? I hear NOW ADAM is very good, and it comes in capsules.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads