• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dark Knight: 1st Review

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
I was referring to Rex Reed's comments, not yours.
Whoever you were intending to refer to, you still called me marsupialed since I do prefer the camp version. I did not insult anyone however by stating that the movie was marketed to pre-teen boys (IMO). Reading comprehension problems?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we all agree that Katie Holmes should stick to marrying crazy scientologists? I watched Batman Begins on DVD and its much more satisfying without the poorly acted and cutesy Dawson's Creek interludes. <press fast forward> Hence, why her part has been recast.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
I watched Batman Begins on DVD and its much more satisfying without the poorly acted and cutesy Dawson's Creek interludes.
I agree. Her scenes (and especially the last one) are cringe-inducing

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Whoever you were intending to refer to, you still called me marsupialed since I do prefer the camp version. I did not insult anyone however by stating that the movie was marketed to pre-teen boys (IMO). Reading comprehension problems?
Again, the Burton version is a little campy but is sure as hell not the camp version. And you didn't say a word about marketing, you said it's garbage made for pre-teen boys. That opinion was supposed to be about marketing? What does that have to do with anything?

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bring back Uma as Poison Ivy. Most hilarious movie villain ever.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
And you didn't say a word about marketing, you said it was made for.
Same thing - made for, written for, sold to, marketed to. Target audience IMO. Are you done? Am I officially allowed to have a negative opinion on that film now?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Same thing - made for, written for, sold to, marketed to. Target audience IMO. Are you done? Am I officially allowed to have a negative opinion on that film now?
Not the same thing, seeing as how one insults fans of the movie older than 12 and one does not. Anyway, the problem is your hissy fits, not your opinions. I never said you weren't entitled to your opinions and I even agreed with you a couple of times.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
33n9bnm.jpg

^ MP did a nice job as catwoman at least for a Tim Burton film.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
That Batman movie is a masterpiece; Qui-Gon-Jin survived his fight with the devilish-looking baddie, moved to earth and fell to the dark side. However he didn't forget his lessons about fear taught by that extra from the gremlins and decided to pass them on to American psycho. Then **** goes down, stuff starts exploding and veteran actors get the SAG version of welfare before our teary eyes. In the end the two white ninja fight to the death to stop a train from makin' them citizens craaazy. This whole bullshit manages to last 2hrs.

I've been watching American blockbusters recently and must say Constantine was much better...

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I've been watching American blockbusters recently and must say Constantine was much better...

Do you read Hellblazer?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I don't read superhero comics, I'm a fan of japanese teen girl comics though.

It's the comic featuring John Constantine.

fareau

Reaction score
It is interesting hearing some of the differing perspectives on this film. To me, the previous Burton/Schumacher interpretations smacked of mockery, like someone who never opened a DC comic reading the original scripts and deciding that the story of a masked crime-fighter was so fanciful and silly, it should be instilled with a camp and carnival atmosphere to ensure that nobody would doubt the tongue-in-cheek intention of the director. As a former pre-teen comic reader, I found these films watchable, but frustrating.

What I found appealing about Batman Begins is that it tried to fashion a somewhat "plausible" world in which a regular human being could become a highly trained and equipped vigilante, and would find himself opposing equally refined and equipped vilains. I imagine for people who grew up reading the comic series, a movie that tries to establish this premise and yet minimize the suspension of belief (like Batman Begins) is going to be better received........And, perhaps, for people with more interesting lives who did not need to read comic book drivel as a child, watching a movie that tries to adopt a believable stance in the Batman story must seem laughably portentous.......to each his own. I am very interested in seeing the next installment of this Batman series, although it will grimly be the final appearance of a very talented actor..........

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I really find it hard to believe that anyone actually prefers the Joel Schumacher batman movies over Batman Begins. I mean, I guess I'm staring at evidence to suggest this, but somehow my brain cannot, nay, REFUSES to process this information.

I would not hesitate to put Batman Forever and Batman and Robin in the category of "two of the worst movies I've ever seen".

Mr. Freeze? Poison Ivy? REALLY????

This is like someone (under 40) telling me that their favorite candy is black licorice. I know that statistically, it must be true, it's just that if that's the case, you are rarer than Unicorns.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fareau
It is interesting hearing some of the differing perspectives on this film. To me, the previous Burton/Schumacher interpretations smacked of mockery, like someone who never opened a DC comic reading the original scripts and deciding that the story of a masked crime-fighter was so fanciful and silly, it should be instilled with a camp and carnival atmosphere to ensure that nobody would doubt the tongue-in-cheek intention of the director. As a former pre-teen comic reader, I found these films watchable, but frustrating.

Exactly. Though it's worth noting that there was a camp period even in the comics (as a direct result of the TV show).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads