• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good for you dude. The only downside is once you get in the kind of shape you want, you'll probably go nuts buying new clothes cuz you think you look so pimped out in them.
smile.gif

jamoo

Reaction score
MonkeyFresh;1136993 said:
Originally Posted by why

Haha ok then its settled i guess
smile.gif

just hafta find the nearest running outfitter
and are they really? so how is it kenyan runners can run barefoot and not get destroyed? im not doubting you i know nike running shoes are a joke, but i thought there might b hope on these lol

Nike running shoes aren't a joke. The Bowerman series is supposed to be quite good. I wear Asics Kayanos and they suit me just fine. My suggestion would be to hit up a good running store, get fitted, and try on as many pairs as you can.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by warlok1965
Good for you dude. The only downside is once you get in the kind of shape you want, you'll probably go nuts buying new clothes cuz you think you look so pimped out in them.
smile.gif

Thanks, and congrats on your loss a few years back. And I think that's a downside I can live with!

jamoo;1137536 said:
Originally Posted by MonkeyFresh
Nike running shoes aren't a joke. The Bowerman series is supposed to be quite good. I wear Asics Kayanos and they suit me just fine. My suggestion would be to hit up a good running store, get fitted, and try on as many pairs as you can.

Yeah Bowerman... haven't you guys ever watched Prefontaine?

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
excuse my ignorance, all ive ever seen are airmax 360s and what not and i know those are
eh.gif
for running
And true about the barefoot thing, i love walking around with no socks or shoes just as much as i love wearing all my kicks lmao but ill stick with sneakers when i run
and as for the fartlek (thats what it is hahai knew it was a funny name) Its just fun to run fast, but ill def read up, i really wanna lose wieght, and my goal for the summer is 6 miles aday, idk if thats too big a goal or if i should project that for a year? but knowledge is key
teacha.gif
fing02[1].gif

Syl

Reaction score
5kms (3.1miles) in around 40 mins. Not bad for someone who mostly bikes (but can't because of the terrible weather here).

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Syl
5kms (3.1miles) in around 40 mins. Not bad for someone who mostly bikes (but can't because of the terrible weather here).

I just did the same distance in about the same time hahaha
laugh.gif

I tried running at a slower pace than before, more steady, ran the whole 3 miles without stopping, found a nice pace, was able to steady my breathe, and it was one of the most enjoyable runs ive had
bigstar[1].gif

Ill def be doing this now, no more running at a pace too fast for my own breathe, and plus i feel like i can mayb pump out another mile or 2, i felt like i had so much more energy after this run than all my other ones
fing02[1].gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
0. Running is not fun.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
0. Running is not fun.

Not true. Running is awesome, but it might not be for everyone.

05charley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by warlok1965
I'm about due for new shoes. I found that Asics Gel Kayanos work well for me, but the factory insole kind of sucks for shock absorbtion. Any recommendations on a good insole to save my achy knees?

The midsole is supposed to provide the cushioning in a running shoe. The insole is really a footbed that should form to your foot. If you are not getting the right cushioning from your shoe, you may have the wrong model, or your shoes may be worn out (300-500 miles is the recommendation for a running shoe before they have lost most of the shock absorption). A good running store should be able to look at your current shoes and tell if they are shot.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 05charley
your shoes may be worn out (300-500 miles is the recommendation for a running shoe before they have lost most of the shock absorption).

I've run way more than that in my NB 845s.
colgate.gif

... wait, maybe it's time to stop procrastinating on getting new shoes...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
4 miles in 32:41, kept my pace in check and kept breathing in waltz-time (3-3). Feel very good now. I'd better step up the mileage soon if I'm going to run the half this January.

re: Nike shoes - I loved the Nike Span around 6 years ago - very light and very flexible - good for races except a bit too cushioned for me to sustain good foot turnover. However, the heels were a bit high compared to the rest of the shoes I liked - Mizuno Maverick, Adidas Supernova, and it killed my achilles to rotate among the shoes, so I dropped the Nikes from the rota once I wore the last ones out.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to bears, mountain lions and other predators.

If you encounter a predator square off to them. Do not quarter to them or run from them. Quartering is sign of submission and running triggers a chase response. Most times a passive predator will wander off.

If a predator is actively hunting or worse has a baby nearby you are in deep and have a huge problem. There is pepper spray that's made for animals and it is effective most of the time. A better choice is a heavy caliber handgun. Several companies make something called a mountain gun and they are designed for encounters with bears. Light weight and available in heavy hunting calibers, these guns are carried by a lot of guides and fly fishers up North in Alaska.

Mountain lion attacks are a completely different animal altogether. An attack from this cat is swift and out of the blue. If one confronts you it is hunting you, bet on that. Your only defense is pepper spray or a gun and you better do something quickly or you're dead.

Feral dogs are another nasty problem and rogue pit bulls just plainly suck. Most feral dogs hunt in packs so the one you see is not necessarily the one that will get you. Watch your heinie. Pepper spray works well on dogs and so does most personal defense rounds if you go with a handgun. A rogue pit bull is a dog you just shoot on sight if it makes any kind of move towards you.

Depending on where you live dictates what animals you would encounter. Plan accordingly. Where I live rogue dogs were my initial problem. A PPKs was carried at all times in the woods while fishing or hiking. Black bear and to a lesser extent mountain lions have moved in. Now I carry any number of hunting caliber revolvers when out and about. I have no interest in becoming a statistic.

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Back to bears, mountain lions and other predators.

If you encounter a predator square off to them. Do not quarter to them or run from them. Quartering is sign of submission and running triggers a chase response. Most times a passive predator will wander off.

If a predator is actively hunting or worse has a baby nearby you are in deep and have a huge problem. There is pepper spray that's made for animals and it is effective most of the time. A better choice is a heavy caliber handgun. Several companies make something called a mountain gun and they are designed for encounters with bears. Light weight and available in heavy hunting calibers, these guns are carried by a lot of guides and fly fishers up North in Alaska.

Mountain lion attacks are a completely different animal altogether. An attack from this cat is swift and out of the blue. If one confronts you it is hunting you, bet on that. Your only defense is pepper spray or a gun and you better do something quickly or you're dead.

Feral dogs are another nasty problem and rogue pit bulls just plainly suck. Most feral dogs hunt in packs so the one you see is not necessarily the one that will get you. Watch your heinie. Pepper spray works well on dogs and so does most personal defense rounds if you go with a handgun. A rogue pit bull is a dog you just shoot on sight if it makes any kind of move towards you.

Depending on where you live dictates what animals you would encounter. Plan accordingly. Where I live rogue dogs were my initial problem. A PPKs was carried at all times in the woods while fishing or hiking. Black bear and to a lesser extent mountain lions have moved in. Now I carry any number of hunting caliber revolvers when out and about. I have no interest in becoming a statistic.

geez man the worst ive seen near my house was a group of raccoon o_O
ill stick to suburban america lol much less to worry about... but i wouldnt mind jogging with one of the light weight mountain guns u mentioned strapped to my back, that would b pretty sick
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it funny how everyone here is a ******* super athlete.

Four 6:15 miles? Jesus.

Then there's the guys that run 10 miles 9 days per week.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads