• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares in BigLaw?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
"Always remember that you dress to fascinate others, not yourself."

I don't want to go so far as to say I would despise someone with this outlook, but I would definitely think he was a tool.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just try to turn everything into business so people dont get the jealous seed.

Rather then come off arrogant i say something like, oh i just picked up "X" suit for "X" price, next time you're in a market for a suit give me a hollar and i'll get you a good price on the suit your in the market for.

In the real world its pretty uncommon for average working people to be wearing such elite clothes, infact the "super expensive" store in my area carries Canali shirts and Hugo Boss jackets.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I don't want to go so far as to say I would despise someone with this outlook, but I would definitely think he was a tool.

That's from Pelham/The Adventures of a Gentleman by Edward Bulwer-Lytton in 1828.

armylog

Reaction score
I work at a BigLaw firm in Montreal. I'm a summer student. I work in high-end clothes before going to law school. I wear a pocket square to all my interviews and now to the job. There are two other people in the firm who wear them. One is one of the managing partners. I figure I'm in good company. I keep it understated.

Actions speak louder then clothes, I would think. If I'm good AND well-dressed, great. If I'm not good AND well-dressed - well, they'll just assume I spend my time shopping... ;-)

Be yourself.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
The lesson is that you shouldnt tell people anything. If they ask where you got your suit, tell em Jos A Bank. If they ask how much, tell em 150 bucks.​
+1,000,000.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
That's from Pelham/The Adventures of a Gentleman by Edward Bulwer-Lytton in 1828.

I know, I Googled it before posting
smile.gif
. Regardless of provenance, it's awful advice.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by armylog
Actions speak louder then clothes, I would think. If I'm good AND well-dressed, great. If I'm not good AND well-dressed - well, they'll just assume I spend my time shopping... ;-)
That's a stupid generalization. I am glad you are both good and well dressed. At least it is working out for one of us.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Rather then come off arrogant i say something like, oh i just picked up "X" suit for "X" price, next time you're in a market for a suit give me a hollar and i'll get you a good price on the suit your in the market for.

That doesn't come across as bragging or crass? I never discussed the price of my clothes with my co-worker. Ideally, I would not talk about my clothes at all. If someone asks, I try to keep it vague but still true.

I'm not sure I'd ever feel comfortable trying to convince someone my Rubinacci really came from Jos A. Bank, even if it would work.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd ever feel comfortable trying to convince someone my Rubinacci really came from Jos A. Bank, even if it would work.
I am going to do just that at my new place of employment.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
That's a stupid generalization. I am glad you are both good and well dressed. At least it is working out for one of us.

Well, I don't know if it's 'stupid'--I'd reserve that label for vitaminc's Pelham quotation--but I agree that it's a little naive to think that ability will necessarily eclipse dress in perception when junior associates are so fungible to begin with.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
I am going to do just that at my new place of employment.

Maybe after I get stung like you did, I'll do the same. But still, I'm an awful liar. And I'd be worried that the other person would follow-up and discover I was blatantly lying. I figure the most detail I'd ever feel pressure to give would be something dismissive, like: "Eh, I got it from some random tailor in Naples when we were on vacation."

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That doesn't come across as bragging or crass? I never discussed the price of my clothes with my co-worker. Ideally, I would not talk about my clothes at all. If someone asks, I try to keep it vague but still true. I'm not sure I'd ever feel comfortable trying to convince someone my Rubinacci really came from Jos A. Bank, even if it would work.
Not in my experience, i think people more often appreciate being let in on the secret. I dont usually let the random people i meet in on these secrets, but usually people i've been working with for a few months. As far as random people go, i rarely have anyone say anything more then "you look sharp", i usually change the subject soon after that to deflect attention towards something that matters more then what jacket i happen to be wearing.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe after I get stung like you did, I'll do the same. But still, I'm an awful liar. And I'd be worried that the other person would follow-up and discover I was blatantly lying. I figure the most detail I'd ever feel pressure to give would be something dismissive, like: "Eh, I got it from some random tailor in Naples when we were on vacation."
ahh, i dont think thats going to help. somehow i dont think...."oh i just had my private tailor in Naples Italy whip these up for me" is going to deter any attention.
lol8[1].gif
I think its great, but its probably not going to help your case. Seems about as effective as me say something like...oh thats purple label...you know...what Jay-Z wears to award shows.
biggrin.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not in my experience, i think people more often appreciate being let in on the secret.

Hmm. Even my close friends who I converse openly with seem to be taken aback by the price of things. I think any partner at my firm would be extremely put-off by a first-year associate saying something to the effect of: "Oh, it's a Rubinacci I got for $XXXX last week. If you like it, I can make a few calls to Naples and see if Mariano can fit you in." Maybe you can pull it off, but I'm pretty sure I'd just come off as an obnoxious snot.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ahh, i dont think thats going to help.

somehow i dont think...."oh i just had my private tailor in Naples Italy whip these up for me" is going to deter any attention.
lol8[1].gif

I think its great, but its probably not going to help your case.

"my wife/gf bought it for me when we visited naples" should work better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads