• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Safari Jacket Saga

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In need of a lightweight casual jacket that I could wear every day for days running with lots of pockets for wallet, passport, food, etc., I went looking for a Safari Jacket. Having waited for the last minute, my choices were pretty limited. I found a nice one at J.Press but the only one in my size was in navy. I wasn't thrilled with the color, but it looked to be nicely made, and in NY no less (with a stupid made in NY logo embroidered on the back), and would do the job.

My wife hated it, saying the color made me look like I was wearing a lab coat, and wanted me to return it. I agonized over it for hours, searching the web for alternatives and found some really nicely made but pricey ones over at Lost Worlds. The problem is that I wouldn't have time to get it shipped to me, was uncertain about weight and sizing and while I was willing to drive to the mailing address in Queens if that was their warehouse, no one answered the phone or responded to emails so I had no idea if I could get there in the morning before heading to the office.

Meanwhile, I struggled with the J.Press one, trying it on again and again. It had some features I liked and really nice construction around the belt, seams and underarms. I was even impressed with a hidden inside pocket that I hadn't noticed in the store. But its doom was sealed when I checked the outside pockets more closely. They are fakes!! The gusset on the top pockets don't open and neither do the bellows on the lower pockets!! This is actually amazing as the features are there and real, just non-working. The gusset up top is sewn shut and maybe a seam ripper would open it and maybe it wouldn't. The construction of the lower pockets were even more astounding. I don't know how to explain this, but it looks like the lower pockets have a thin inner pocket sewn into a bellows outer pocket. In other words, the bellows is there, but you just can't use it. A lot of work actually went into making something that useless. I assume the idea was to have the look of a Safari jacket but to keep you from stuffing things in the pockets to ruin the line (I sense the weird Misterman or Mordechai Richler touch here; probably to blame for the dumb "Made in NY" embroidery, too). Whoever designed this "feature" made my choice easy. Back it went this morning.

I had no luck at Daffy's or Paul Stuart either (Brooks had nothing when I checked yesterday). The tiny travel outfitter on 44th is gone. But I found what I wanted at Orvis. They had a Filson's Safari Jacket, made in the USA of 6 oz. poplin that had pretty much everything I wanted. The belt was not as nicely detailed as the J.Press one (A+ for Press - the buckle buttons off for washing the rest of the jacket and adjusts in size) or the Lost Worlds model (based on the web only), but everything else seemed pretty good. And it gets bonus point for a nice zippered interior pocket.

One thing that I found odd in this search is the sizing. I have a 39-40 inch chest but narrow shoulders. I typically start looking with Mediums. I needed a L at Press and an S in the Filson's. That makes no sense.

Some images:
Filson -
pFILSON1-2232347dt.jpg

pFILSON1-2232347_filson1_dt.jpg

J.Press:
WEB-COAT-1.jpg

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
pFILSON1-2232347_filson1_dt.jpg

You look younger than I thought.

That was a peregrination and a peroration worthy of David Bresch. Bravo.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In need of a lightweight casual jacket that I could wear every day for days running with lots of pockets for wallet, passport, food, etc.

You mean running around, right? If I see someone jogging in a safari jacket, I'm going to have to laugh. Edmorel, please post your picture. Thanks.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
. . . That was a peregrination and a peroration worthy of David Bresch. Bravo.
I had to look up peroration. I am still not sure how to take your comment, but I suppose, unlike Bresch, I am comfortable not caring. But like Bresch, I will be perpetually unhappy about this purchase. I now know that nothing short of showing up at the Lost Worlds factory and having them make me one to size and spec. will satisfy me. But I also know that will never happen as my need for this one may be urgent, but it is also likely non-recurrent. I surely don't need two. So I will suffer with this not-quite perfect jacket and forever berate myself for not having started looking earlier.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
You mean running around, right? If I see someone jogging in a safari jacket, I'm going to have to laugh. Edmorel, please post your picture. Thanks.
Actually I meant a run of days. I've seen Ed's, but this Fedora Lounge post has some better pictures:
pith003jx9.jpg
pith002hw8.jpg
I like the look, but I don't have time to get a helmet.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Actually I meant a run of days.

I've seen Ed's, but this Fedora Lounge post has some better pictures:
pith003jx9.jpg

I like the look, but I don't have time to get a helmet.

Given his natty attire and stature, I'd say he was ready to recolonize India.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually I meant a run of days.

Phew!

Fedora Lounge comes through again!

Not exactly the same, but I saw another of those shirt jackets at CEGO yesterday. Looked nice. And then a cashmere shirt.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice to know about the funny pockets on the Press Pongee. They had a very rare XS last fall that fit me; I've been kicking myself ever since for not buying it. I kick no more.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Given his natty attire and stature, I'd say he was ready to recolonize India.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Nice to know about the funny pockets on the Press Pongee. They had a very rare XS last fall that fit me; I've been kicking myself ever since for not buying it. I kick no more.

It is a real pity. The jacket is very well-made and nicely designed. I think I would have lived with the color since it was an otherwise practical jacket and the color doesn't really affect its usefulness. And my wife would have tired of complaining about it eventually.

But I can't live with stupid non-functionality. The idiot designer should be shot for the pockets (and the bullet wounds filled with salt and vinegar for the dumb embroidered logo).

There can't be many factories in NY that made it. Here's hoping shirtmaven will post and tell us the story, especially since the J.Crew hipster design crew are his buddies.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In need of a lightweight casual jacket that I could wear every day for days running with lots of pockets
Brioni makes a travel sport jacket in cotton drill which features around twenty pockets of various sizes. It used to be offered as RTW but now I believe it's MTM/MTO.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know I've seen some nice Borrelli cotton safari jackets at the Shop the Finest warehouse. I almost got one about a year ago in navy herribone. I'd estimate that well less than half of the inventory there is not on the website, so it may be worth calling Ian and asking him if he as anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads