• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rox88
1 mile. My feet cramp so bad I have to stop half way.
I'm guessing it's because I'm running on a gravel path?
I ran about a year ago, on an indoor track that was pretty much cement, didn't cramp, but got shinsplints.
I have orthotics, and just ordered a good pair of running shoes.
I have Nike Shox, but I think they are too skinny for my feet, even with orthotics.
Plus I am 245lbs (about 5lbs overweight), so I'm guessing it will take a few weeks to get used to running again.

go to a running store and get fitted for the right running shoes. There are many different types depending on how your feet land. Every pair of feet requires a specific type of running shoes.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
curious, does anyone run with their dog?
i think im going to try it this afternoon

i see people running with their dogs all the time at the lake i run at. They all seem to enjoy it.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
But more compelling to me was that before I switched to morning runs, I ran post-work with my roommate at the time. We covered Memorial loop (2.9 miles) after work three to four times a week, and my waist hovered around 34". Our work schedules diverged and I switched to morning running. Same distance, same frequency, same eating habits and supplementation, and my waist fell to 32". Everything else remained farily constant, one variable changed, and the results were different.

I find that I tend to get more hungover if I sleep with my clothes on. I've since started sleeping naked to avoid getting hungover.

Nothing else changed. I sleep the same amount, in the same position, and in the same bed.

Originally Posted by odoreater
I'm not sure that I agree with this. I've always heard and read that doing cardio in a fasted state (which is the state that you are in when you wake up in the morning because you haven't eaten for several hours) burns more fat than doing cardio in a fed state. As I understand it, this occurs because in a fasted state your insulin levels are very low and high insulin levels are antithetical to weight loss. However, the downside of this is that you also lose muscle by doing fasted cardio (that's why most runners are not very muscular), and most bodybuilders do not do fasted cardio.

Technically that's decent science, but it misses the big picture. Running on a full stomach of carbohydrates per se may decrease lipid oxidation (fat burning) during the run (some studies show lipid oxidation to be equal, but they were pretty crappy studies), but in the time afterward lipid oxidation will increase due to the caloric deficit.

In other words, it basically comes down to calories in vs. calories out.

Fasted cardio was actually popularized by bodybuilders along with other fat loss mythology.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by warlok1965
If you google Dean Kamen who is a crazy endurance runner

wikipedia says dean kamen is an inventor who came up with this:

Segway_3.jpg

abefroman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by feynmix
go to a running store and get fitted for the right running shoes. There are many different types depending on how your feet land. Every pair of feet requires a specific type of running shoes.

+1 . also, after your first pair, find them online for much less (I consider the inflated cost of the first pair as payment for the fitting service).

but yeah, 8 last night. 10 tonight.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ran about a year ago, on an indoor track that was pretty much cement, didn't cramp, but got shinsplints.
I have orthotics, and just ordered a good pair of running shoes.
I have Nike Shox, but I think they are too skinny for my feet, even with orthotics.
Plus I am 245lbs (about 5lbs overweight), so I'm guessing it will take a few weeks to get used to running again.

Yeah, shox are **** for running, especially if you are of greater than average weight. You probably need a shoe with more stability. Like the others have said, go to a running store an bite the bullet. I have had luck with the stability and support of the Asics GT2120's.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I run a marathon every day. ******** is also 20" long.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5K a day, in intervals. Usually takes about 21 minutes, rest times included. 2x2 6 minutes miles, and then 4x400 m splits. Then a 0.13 km cool down. Just the way I like it. I used to run 6 miles loops in Boston and LA, but this takes less time, I really feel the kick, and it leaves me more time for the rest of my workout (and important coinsideration now that I have kids). Besides, I was never a good long distance runner.

jamoo

Reaction score
I do three 6-8 mile runs through the week and a long run (12-20 miles) on Saturday. Sorry for all the quotes:
so lets say you are running in the morning and you see a black bear
what do you do

I came across a coyote the other day... I just crossed the street and he watched me run past.

Originally Posted by shoe
for those who run 6+ miles per day.

are you of lean build?

Not really, I'd prefer to be slightly leaner... I'm 6', between 175-180.

Go get fitted, it's important. When I was heavy (I started running at about 225lbs or so) my feet took a beating.

Originally Posted by warlok1965
Me, I vacillate because while I dislike my lack of 6 pack abs, when I kick up my mileage to 30+ miles a week I feel like I get so skinny I look like 98 lb weakling. But when I drop the mileage, add carbs and calories, lift more weight, I just get fatter.
bigstar[1].gif

I have a hard time keeping weight OFF when I'm training particularly hard... I have difficulty controlling my hunger in the days following a long run (12 miles or more).

curious, does anyone run with their dog?
i think im going to try it this afternoon

My wife and I are talking about getting a dog, but I refuse to get one that won't keep up with me over 8 miles. Running with a dog is great.

rox88

Reaction score
I went to running room, and they said get a pair with 'cushioning' (Shoes are divided into 3 groups) and just put my orthotics in them. So I got Nike Moto +5 or whatever they are. I have no arch, so when I walk, without orthotics, they cave in.

Mblova

Reaction score
How do some of you guys manage to hit 3 miles a day consistently. I am honestly finding myself stopping at around 2-2.5 miles at a 8-9 minute pace. I figure its my endurance...but damn is it hard.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mix it up. Run slower (10+ minute pace) for longer runs once or twice a week. Run faster for short runs and do some really short really fast runs here and there. Cross train some days to prevent injury.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads