• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me some headphones

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Please don't be That Guy
Ha is there some kind of negative connotation with that image? I just figured that I'd listen to music on my way to class (I always listen to my iPod) and that I wouldn't want to risk cramming my headphones into my bag afterwards.
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
That doesnt really show me anything, and I'm not familiar with the way those sit so i don't know for sure. Are you looking for the earcups to fit around your ear and rest on your skull or do they rest on top of your ear pressing it against your head? I'd second the Sennheiser HD280 if its the former, and the Grado SR60/SR80 if its the latter.
Heh sorry I just google imaged some head phones. But yes the ones that fit around my ear and rest on my skull. Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I need to hunt these various items down and check them out, but keep them coming.

ltsmash11

Reaction score
The Grados have far too much leakage to wear outside. You'd probably be better off with IEM's such as the Shure se210.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Heh sorry I just google imaged some head phones.

But yes the ones that fit around my ear and rest on my skull. Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I need to hunt these various items down and check them out, but keep them coming.

Ok, so that rules out the Grado's, unfortunately that company has yet to develop an "around the ear" (circumaural) set of headphones.

I'd try the Sennheisers, they have a whole range of headphones within your budget:

HD201
HD205
HD280
or the HD485

That site is also good for people wanting to learn more about all kinds of headphones, I know that your typical music player will be able to push decent sound through at least the HD280 at moderate volumes, so I don't think it will be a huge problem. Of course, for the best possible sound, you'll want an amp - but it doesn't sound like you are super serious about this stuff yet.
smile.gif

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Ok, so that rules out the Grado's, unfortunately that company has yet to develop an "around the ear" (circumaural) set of headphones.

I'd try the Sennheisers, they have a whole range of headphones within your budget:

HD201
HD205
HD280
or the HD485

That site is also good for people wanting to learn more about all kinds of headphones, I know that your typical music player will be able to push decent sound through at least the HD280 at moderate volumes, so I don't think it will be a huge problem. Of course, for the best possible sound, you'll want an amp - but it doesn't sound like you are super serious about this stuff yet.
smile.gif

The 201 looks tempting, but so does the 280. What justifies the $80 price difference? Will it be noticeable to me? A lowly, uneducated audio peasant?

Just for reference, I listened to these so if I can find equal if not better sound quality for a cheaper price then I'm set.

I'm also not looking to get into an audiophile, mostly because being a clothing snob is expensive enough.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
double post.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
The 201 looks tempting, but so does the 280. What justifies the $80 price difference? Will it be noticeable to me? A lowly, uneducated audio peasant?

Just for reference, I listened to these so if I can find equal if not better sound quality for a cheaper price then I'm set.

I'm also not looking to get into an audiophile, mostly because being a clothing snob is expensive enough.

Better sensitivity and frequency response, sturdier build quality and more adjustable headband on the HD280... The HD201 are really rather quiet for iPod use without a amp. To be honest, the HD205's are probably better suited for that kind of thing than the HD201. But neither one is going to sound as good as the HD280...

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ltsmash11
The Grados have far too much leakage to wear outside. You'd probably be better off with IEM's such as the Shure se210.

I'm not sure I agree. I wear mine on planes and sometimes at our local park and they work well. Certainly not very isolating but more comfy and I like the sound.

sleekblackroadster

Reaction score
senn 555's for me.

my favorite cans that i feel most people will be pleased with and are affordable. if you can find them at the $100 level instead of $150 they are hard to beat imo.

i find the aesthetics and fit and comfort of the senns is light years ahead of grado even tho the grados have great sound.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sleekblackroadster
senn 555's for me.

my favorite cans that i feel most people will be pleased with and are affordable. if you can find them at the $100 level instead of $150 they are hard to beat imo.

i find the aesthetics and fit and comfort of the senns is light years ahead of grado even tho the grados have great sound.

A lot of the comfort issues some have with the Grados can be eliminated by using the optional flat ear pads. That's what I did.

bowman9000

Reaction score
A lot of good recommendations already though I will offer another one: Denon AHD-1001. Could be had for below $100. Great street prices make them a real bargain, IMHO. Quite portable too. One problem is is that the strap isn't too adjustable, so if your head is too small/big they may not be too comfortable. Luckily for me they fit great and much more comfortable than even my Senn hd-600.

Reviews
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...mpared-250041/

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Beyerdynamic DT860s or DT880s would be my recommendation. I paid full retail for DT860s but they have come right down in price and sound amazing.

beyerdynamic_dt880.jpg

Regarding Grados. I had a pair of SR80s and they sounded good, especially for acoustics - but the build quality could have been better. The wires constantly needed resoldering inside the can (which I had to do, because it'd cost alot to send to New York from the UK) and the headband eventually broke.

whallyden

Reaction score
I just picked up the Sennheiser PXC350's. I like the natural sound -- and the noise cancelling doesn't give me the vertigo I've experienced with other sets (read: Bose & Sony).

shimmyt

Reaction score
This really all depends on what kind of music you listen to, but I have some Audio Technica 900's that I got off of ebay for about $199 that sound phenomenal. The best thing about them you don't need an amp to power them either. If they have 1 downfall it's that the bass is on the weak side but probably some of the best cans i've sampled / own.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
The new closed ear Denons are said to have the best measurements they have seen at the Headroom store...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads