• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring a leather jacket

BYucko

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Just a quick question about taking in the waist of a leather jacket. I'm new to this stuff, and I certainly know that regular jackets can be taken in. Are there any special rules or risks to altering leather? This jacket costed my (female) friend quite a bit, so I don't want to offer her any shoddy advice.

And any reccomendations for tailors that live in Vancouver specializing in leather are much appreciated as well
smile.gif

Thank you!

rogerm

Reaction score
I had a leather jacket that i wanted taken in at the waist (just ever so slightly), but gave up and sold it.

There are no special rules that I'm aware of except that you need someone who has done leather work before.

The risks are severe in that a tailor will only get one chance. It's hard to come back from a mistake with leather.

the leather jacket I had was bought from Neiman Marcus and it was a nice jacket, but like I said I wanted it taken in at the waist. The tailors there were pretty competent and pretty much said they could do what I wanted, but they also seemed hesitant too.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BYucko
Hi guys!

Just a quick question about taking in the waist of a leather jacket. I'm new to this stuff, and I certainly know that regular jackets can be taken in. Are there any special rules or risks to altering leather? This jacket costed my (female) friend quite a bit, so I don't want to offer her any shoddy advice.

And any reccomendations for tailors that live in Vancouver specializing in leather are much appreciated as well
smile.gif

Thank you!

I've always wondered about altering the sleeves on leather jackets. Normally, wearing a short jacket, I've shied away from leather jackets because I always heard it was hard to get them altered.

BYucko

Reaction score
So I guess the best advice would be not to tailor it then?

And would anyone know if there would be any cost increase?

rogerm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BYucko
So I guess the best advice would be not to tailor it then? And would anyone know if there would be any cost increase?
If you can find a willing tailor who does leather work, by all mean do it. Just make sure you know what you want and weather he/she can do it. In theory there shouldn't be any higher than a regular jacket - it's just a different material.

meauounji

Reaction score
I've had a leather jacket altered before with good results. (Had the body slimmed down significantly) I had to leave my jacket with the tailor for a few days for him to open up the lining and examine, then he gives me a yay or nay as far as alterations. After that, it went as normal.

A few things to consider:
1) It probably will cost you more (it did me) leather's apparently harder to work with and you can't make mistake that requires you to undo a seam.

2) Depending on the seam you're trying to get and the stich style, you can't make minute alterations since whatever seam you undo needs to be folded away completely because it is going to have stitch holes all through it. Those holes obviously can't be closed up. This is also why you can't make a mistake that requires you to undo a seam.

3) Be sure you KNOW what you want. Again, this is because you can't make a mistake that requires you to undo a seam.

4) You can't make a mistake that requires you to undo a seam. (recurring theme much?)

sanrensho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
I've always wondered about altering the sleeves on leather jackets. Normally, wearing a short jacket, I've shied away from leather jackets because I always heard it was hard to get them altered.

Try Johnson Leathers in San Francisco. They do nothing but leather jackets (and pants for motorcyclists) and stuff like custom work for movie wardrobes and short runs for high end dealers.
They do bespoke and definitely would know how to alter jackets. They do this all day long.

Capitano

Reaction score
I have a leather jacket that fits fine on the waist and chest, but the sleeves are just to baggy and I hate that. Leather jackets tend to look much better when somehow closely fit to the body.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads