• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: Ralph Lauren Outlet a@ Woodbury Opened Today 25% Off Promotion

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
I 2nd that idea, even tough it sounds selfish, but ppl who just lurk here and don't actively contribut shouldn't be entitled to our finds.

Elitist but more of a sour loser on a second thought. Didin't you already bought a suit? Or did you miss the chance to monetize on the opportunity?

Originally Posted by whacked
There're many resellers among frequently posting members as well.

Hopefully that's the case and some of them will post items to B&S forum or eBay soon. Don't care where I can buy it from as long as prices are reasonable.

I called in this morning and Alex said they are almost out of all men's suits and is waiting for shipment for warehouse. They were 'bombarded' by phone calls over the weekend.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Elitist but more of a sour loser on a second thought. Didin't you already bought a suit? Or did you miss the chance to monetize on the opportunity?

No, I just bought a suit for myself, not being sour grape or greedy.
Actually I was trying to make a case for ppl like you who missed out on the sale, but I guess that was misconstruded.

Material Boy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
i wonder what RL actually spends when the produce a PL or BL suit.

Ralph Lauren paid between 10 % to 15% of the full retail price from the manufacturers (i.e St. Andrew). I saw these figures with my own eyes. As to the cost to the makers, 5% - 10% of the full retail price. These figures are pretty standard among all the designer labels.

Cost of putting ads in GQ, hiring models for the runway shows, renting and running a nice office in NY, hiring a staff to answer calls for Ralph etc. are bigger contributors to the final price the public is paying.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
managed to score a few suits earlier today. Alex was awesome
inlove.gif
I chatted with her for a minute she's a really nice girl and she mentioned that some people had been a bit rude
plain.gif
which is just lame same rules apply here as in restaurants don't screw with people who make your food and don't screw with people who provide you with badass clothes. Also she said that they might start an account here to let us know when they get in new shipments or when they have sales so yall play nice and hopefully they'll give us a heads up on this stuff... they all tried their best to deal with our queries, but not everyone is as anal about suits as we are so some of the technical terms are lost on them and the risk of a couple of misinterpreted details is easily offset by the super cheap prices.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Material Boy
Ralph Lauren paid between 10 % to 15% of the full retail price from the manufacturers (i.e St. Andrew). I saw these figures with my own eyes. As to the cost to the makers, 5% - 10% of the full retail price. These figures are pretty standard among all the designer labels.

Cost of putting ads in GQ, hiring models for the runway shows, renting and running a nice office in NY, hiring a staff to answer calls for Ralph etc. are bigger contributors to the final price the public is paying.

sounds like a good figure, i always figure my contributions are keeping people working, but it always makes me wonder how much i'm actually paying for the suit, and how much for the service.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slycedbred
managed to score a few suits earlier today. Alex was awesome
inlove.gif
I chatted with her for a minute she's a really nice girl and she mentioned that some people had been a bit rude
plain.gif
which is just lame same rules apply here as in restaurants don't screw with people who make your food and don't screw with people who provide you with badass clothes. Also she said that they might start an account here to let us know when they get in new shipments or when they have sales so yall place nice and hopefully they'll give us a heads up on this stuff... they all tried their best to deal with our queries, but not everyone is as anal about suits as we are so some of the technical terms are lost on them and the risk of a couple of misinterpreted details is easily offset by the super cheap prices.

Really? I talked to her Monday early afternoon and its all gone. Guess I should call them back again today to get my name in.
smile.gif

BTW, PST if you are willing to part with any size 42R suits.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren paid between 10 % to 15% of the full retail price from the manufacturers (i.e St. Andrew).
I find this very hard to believe. If Ralph Lauren is buying the suits for $300-$500 then they are getting them for less than half what the other stores are paying. They have pull but not that much.

Generally speaking the markup for tailored clothing is 2-3 times. At $599 a suit RL is losing money (on that particular suit, not on the whole buy.)

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
Just a quick question -- do the Purple Label suits have the same "low rider" characteristics of the Black Label line? I don't have anywhere nearby that I can try on a Purple Label suit, but love the styling.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sounds like a good figure, i always figure my contributions are keeping people working, but it always makes me wonder how much i'm actually paying for the suit, and how much for the service.

85% for service,that's pretty steep.But on the other side,if you get a suit directly from tailors,it is not going to be much cheaper,is it?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
I find this very hard to believe. If Ralph Lauren is buying the suits for $300-$500 then they are getting them for about half what the other stores are paying. They have pull but not that much.

Generally speaking the markup for tailored clothing is 2-3 times. At $599 a suit RL is losing money (on that particular suit, not on the whole buy.)

Me too. I call BS on this. I can't imagine they cost $300-$500. That could be excluding material costs, maybe, but those are significant.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RichmondStyle
Just a quick question -- do the Purple Label suits have the same "low rider" characteristics of the Black Label line? I don't have anywhere nearby that I can try on a Purple Label suit, but love the styling.

i dont believe purple label is going to be nearly as fashion forward as black label.

I believe the black label, while not as trendy as Dior or Dolce Gabbana, is going to be along those lines.

Thats infact the reason why i chose a black label, i'm 23 and fashion forward works for me.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
I find this very hard to believe. If Ralph Lauren is buying the suits for $300-$500 then they are getting them for about half what the other stores are paying. They have pull but not that much.

Thanks for clearing that up, basically we're buying these below cost....nice
smile.gif

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up, basically we're buying these below cost....nice
smile.gif

Many, if not most of the deals seen on SF, are well below wholesale price, or even the cost to make the item.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads