• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit lining material

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the material used for suit jacket inner linings? I know RTW suits uses Rayon and Viscose but are the higher end suits using the same? Or there are some other natural fabrics? How good would silk fabrics function as lining?

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're all lined with Bemberg (rayon) or Emerzine (IIRC viscose). Silk linings are not good- hot and fragile.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't recommend silk - it wears very warm and is fragile. Most tailors do not recommed it and use it only when pressed.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My Rubinacci jackets are lined with silk; they seem to wear very nicely. I'll have to wait a few years before letting you know how well they've held up.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
My Rubinacci jackets are lined with silk; they seem to wear very nicely. I'll have to wait a few years before letting you know how well they've held up.

You sure? That's a surpirse. IIRC Matt's are bemberg. (when they have a lining
devil.gif
)

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
You sure? That's a surpirse. IIRC Matt's are bemberg. (when they have a lining
devil.gif
)

I believe Matt's are also silk; I seem to recall this exact conversation coming up a couple of times and Matt vouching for the durability of silk.

If the linings of my jackets aren't silk, they're certainly something different from standard bemberg. The fabric is more matte; it feels less slick and more porous.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most Black Fleece jackets have cotton linings.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I am shopping for fabrics for my future suit lining (heavily patterned, think kimono) so want to make sure I am getting the right material. Cotton doesn't sound all very exciting and breathable. Men-made materials are not as luxurious (?) and my concern with silk is it wears worm. Maybe thinner/lighter weave silk?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Cotton doesn't sound all very exciting and breathable.

It bunches in the sleeves and back a lot, too.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
I have a German-made coat that is 70 years old lined in its original silk which is well intact.

Fretless

Reaction score
I have had a few suits made and searched far and wide for certain graphic linings (e.g., skulls). I found material, but was strongly advised by a few NY clothiers that it was crucial to get the appropriate lining material. The wrong material can adversely effect the appearance of a custom suit after cleaning. If the lining material and suit material have differing shrinkage tendencies, the lining will no longer fit the suit properly.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
They're all lined with Bemberg (rayon) or Emerzine (IIRC viscose). Silk linings are not good- hot and fragile.

Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I don't recommend silk - it wears very warm and is fragile. Most tailors do not recommed it and use it only when pressed.

This is what my guy says...he'll do it if one insists, but considers it a poor choice.

My recent stuff has been all Ermazine.

- B

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
My Rubinacci jackets are lined with silk; .

Was not aware that you had Rubinacci jackets.

Originally Posted by Toiletduck
is it easy to replace lining?

Yes, by a competent tailor.

I prefer unlined jackets and most of mine are either unlined or quarter/butterfly lined. I think unlined jackets are a thing of beauty, even though no one really sees the inside, but I am an odd duck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads