• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you like to eat anything strange/unusual?

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From a while back...
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
I skipped dinner, but just got back from lunch. They had this on the menu:
photo031408001bh4.jpg

juicemakesugar

Reaction score
Ah, Tony Bourdain had the chicken ass in Korea. He thought it was mighty chewy.

Fulcannelli

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Sounds like the eating of Ortolan.
"First, it is caught with a net in the forest. Taken alive, its eyes are poked out and the bird is put in a small cage. It's then force-fed oats, millet and figs until it has swollen to four times its normal size. Then the bird is drowned alive in fine cognac. Then, it's roasted whole, in an oven at high heat, for six to eight minutes. Once it reaches the table, a napkin is placed over the eater's head. The technique of eating the ortolan is to put the whole bird into the mouth, with only the beak protruding. Here sadism mingles with masochism. The first taste as you crunch on the bird is the brandied flesh and fat. Then, the bitterness of the guts follow and finally, as the tiny, delicate bones are being chewed on, they will lacerate the diner's gums, with the salty taste of the bleeding gums mingling with the richness of the fat and the bitterness of the organs. Chewing the ortolan takes approximately 15 minutes."

nice, Im pretty sure its been banned now (even in France).

Conrad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by juicemakesugar
Everything that has been mentioned has been tame and softcore in nature except for the ortolan.

I myself like raw crab marinated in kim chee liquid.

Honestly, that sounds damn good. As I was growing up we had a korean family down the street, the grandmother would make kim chee on a pretty regular basis. Tasted great, but you couldn't be in the same room when the jar was first opened- had a smell all of it's own that the americanized stuff you can buy at the store just totally bypasses; a combination of death and chili sauce.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Same place I ate dog the first time.

Otherwise, if it's an american game animal I've probably eaten it. from the standard squirrel and rabbit to turtle to opossum (avoid), ground hog (not too bad) and raccoon (sooooo good).

Then you have your other standard fares such as-
Fried pig ears, pickled pigs feet (dilled, not sweet), tongue (makes a wonderful cut for corning or pickling), and honestly one of my favorite meat cuts to use in cooking is the cow or pig heart. has a gamier taste than standard cuts, but isn't overwhelming like liver and keeps a good consistency.

When i was younger there was always new stuff for dinner, we would rarely eat the same thing twice in a month, so I had plenty of opprotunity to be exposed to plenty of different "weird" foods.

Now I'll admit there's some stuff I'll never try, but it has to be pretty damn far out there to not even consider.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juicemakesugar
Ah, Tony Bourdain had the chicken ass in Korea. He thought it was mighty chewy.

Yeah, and tasty albeit a little gamey too. Problem is, after the 4th one, all that fat can make you feel ******, pun not intended.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I believe some pregnant women eat the placenta of their newborn.

There is a phenomena known as "placenta roadkill" in the Four Corners Navajo reservation area. The mother eating the placenta was a cultural norm but apparently is not allowed in the area hospitals. So the father is often given the placenta to take home for the mother to eat. Many fathers do not really go with the old cultural norm (mothers too no doubt), so they pitch it out the car window driving home. Leading to, placenta roadkill.

Public health. What a field.
laugh.gif

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Octopus sashimi. Love it. Not sure how unusual that is.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in Denver at the Buckhorn Exchange, I had Rocky Mountain Oysters, rattlesnake dip, Yak, and shark. Asctually liked the oysters.

juicemakesugar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Conrad
Fried pig ears, pickled pigs feet (dilled, not sweet), tongue (makes a wonderful cut for corning or pickling), and honestly one of my favorite meat cuts to use in cooking is the cow or pig heart. has a gamier taste than standard cuts, but isn't overwhelming like liver and keeps a good consistency.

When i was younger there was always new stuff for dinner, we would rarely eat the same thing twice in a month, so I had plenty of opprotunity to be exposed to plenty of different "weird" foods.

Now I'll admit there's some stuff I'll never try, but it has to be pretty damn far out there to not even consider.

I like the cut of your jib...you're my kind of people...etc.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arnach
Octopus sashimi. Love it. Not sure how unusual that is.
trite.
tounge.gif

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I believe some pregnant women eat the placenta of their newborn.
Many animals do, and it's quite common in many cultures. Haven't we had several odd-foods threads? Anyway, here's a few favourites of mine: - Whale, can be prepared like beef - Cured ram's testicles, marinated in sour milk and roasted, a bit like kidney - Fermented (OK, rotten) shark (both this and the balls are Icelandic specialties) - Rakfisk, fermented fish, most often trout - Lutefisk, cod jellified with lye or caustic soda - Smalahove (smoked/dried/singed sheep's face, you eat the eye and face muscles) - Tørrfisk - dried cod, actually very nice, like fish jerky Except for the Icelandic shark, which was horrible, I'll eat any of the above regularly.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tacos made of cow eyes (ojo), cheek (cachete), brains (sesos) or head (cabeza). i don't know which parts of the head they use. all of them are good, especially the eyes.

a few have mentioned beef tongue, but i would not consider that strange or unusual. it's very common and i believe every jewish deli serves beef tongue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads