• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy boots

mram65

Reaction score
I know this topic has been approached before, but I'd like to know how you guys feel about cowboy boots. They seem to be coming back in style, with lots of big name celebs wearing them. The Backstreet Boys wear them often, and not a night goes by on the "E. Entertainment News" when you don't see Steve Kmetko wearing them.

They're looking really sharp of late, with super pointed toes, and radically underslung heels.  I think they make a cool fashion statement.

Anyone out there a cowboy boot fan? Would like to hear your opinions.

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
I currently have two pairs of cowboy boots (one kangaroo skin and one elk skin) on E-bay for sale. That should tell you what I think of them.

JGreen

Reaction score
I personally hate cowboy boots no matter how trendy some people try and make them. The only people who have any business wearing them are "Cowboys". Hence the words cowboy boots.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Das Boot.. haha, sorry. Yeah cowboy boots are nice. They aren't really my style, but if I found a nice pair, I'd probably get them.

My cousin wears them. Of course, I might mention he does live in TX.

Now, what was that you said about the Backstreet Boys? I wouldn't suggest getting your fashion ideas from them. These are the same fellas that wear t-shirts with rhine stones, and other rather odd choices in clothing. Sure they may have some good ideas, but they have a lot of bad ones as well.

-CWS

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I loathe them. Not much else to say ;p

Jofaile

Reaction score
This should reveal to you what I truly think of cowboy boots:

I lived in Texas for quite a few years and the very first time I had ever worn cowboy boots was after I moved to Charlotte, for a production I was apart of, being staged by a professional drama company I am a member of.

And I hated every second I had to wear them...they are the devil incarnate...literally.

GatorStyle

Reaction score
As with most other "Western" fashion (bolo ties, huge belt buckles, etc.), think twice. And then again. And then, unless you live in Texas or Montana and rope cattle for a living, don't do it.

A rodeo bullrider from Texas who wears cowboy boots? OK, I suppose. An accountant from Wisconsin? Ridiculous. A boy band member? Please.

marktimms

Reaction score
I'd like to give a contrarian viewpoint on the wearing of cowboy boots. Western attire isn't trendy. It's been around for ages.

I grew up in Arizona and now live in Texas. My father (from Ohio) had a closet full of bespoke suits (sometimes went to Brioni in Rome for fittings) and knew how to dress elegantly. A breeder of quarter horses (his hobby), he was also a lover of classical western attire, and would often wear a pair of ostrich boots with a jacket or suit. I occasionally do the same, but wouldn't attempt it in Chicago or NYC. However, in Dallas or Tucson you can wear cowboy boots with business attire and receive compliments, as long as you do it tastefully, but that applies to everything. Let's not confuse the mixing of classical western and business attire with "trendy western". In some places it fits in just fine.

fareau

Reaction score
I am a huge fan of well made cowboy boots. If you take the time to find a pair that fit well, and then give them a little time to break-in, cowboy boots are some of the most comfortable footwear available. I have a pair of Lucchese's that are a pleasure to wear. I have been living in Texas for a handful of years so it has been easy to acquire a taste for boots. I will be moving to Wisconsin in a week but, weather permitting, I will continue to wear my boots. That being said, I personally wouldn't wear them with a suit.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to wear them constantly. I now think they are best reserved for REAL Westerners in the REAL West. These people know who they are. On anybody else, no! Very hard on the feet, as I eventually discovered.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I used to wear them constantly. I now think they are best reserved for REAL Westerners in the REAL West. These people know who they are. On anybody else, no! Very hard on the feet, as I eventually discovered.

But what about Mexicans?

I frequently see rather well-dressed Mexican men wear very fancy cowboy boots.

Jsoftz

Reaction score
I'm mexican and live in Houston. I have a pair of rather cheap Dan Post cowboy boots and I enjoy wearing them with jeans. Seem to look fine to me, people notice them and compliment favorably. They aren't made of anything exotic, just dark oak cowhide. Have a nice shine and a classic shape to them. I like the contrast leather sole they have, as well. But say I moved up north or to California for some reason.. they probably wouldn't see much face time. Down here, it seems this they're very popular in the business casual world in which I live.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jsoftz
I'm mexican and live in Houston. I have a pair of rather cheap Dan Post cowboy boots and I enjoy wearing them with jeans. Seem to look fine to me, people notice them and compliment favorably. They aren't made of anything exotic, just dark oak cowhide. Have a nice shine and a classic shape to them. I like the contrast leather sole they have, as well. But say I moved up north or to California for some reason.. they probably wouldn't see much face time. Down here, it seems this they're very popular in the business casual world in which I live.

I see a lot of Mexican men in cowboy boots in California.

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I see a lot of Mexican men in cowboy boots in California.

Oh, right. I forget that there are a ton of Mexican people in California. The one time I went there, everyone just spoke Spanish to me without asking. I don't speak Spanish, so it was quite confusing.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fareau
I am a huge fan of well made cowboy boots. If you take the time to find a pair that fit well, and then give them a little time to break-in, cowboy boots are some of the most comfortable footwear available. I have a pair of Lucchese's that are a pleasure to wear. I have been living in Texas for a handful of years so it has been easy to acquire a taste for boots. I will be moving to Wisconsin in a week but, weather permitting, I will continue to wear my boots. That being said, I personally wouldn't wear them with a suit.
Good recommendation on the Lucchese's. I'm currently shopping for a pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads