• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: Ralph Lauren Outlet a@ Woodbury Opened Today 25% Off Promotion

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree we shouldn't openly advertising to the sales staff that you heard the sale through styleforum. Because they can easily sign up here and lurke, and perhaps effect their pricing decision in the future.

Also, in this case, I think it created a sense of resentment on the polo staff's mind, becuase their workload just trippled in the past weekend, I don't think they really appreciate it.

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
You have 36 posts.

I'm not saying that I would benefit now, but I plan to continue to participate in the forum and hopefully my post total will grow -- now it's 37
laugh.gif
Why does one have to personally benefit from something to suggest it as a good idea?

My point is that the folks who have been on here a while and contribute to this board regularly should probably get some advantage for sales that get posted on here.

JordanB

Reaction score
Any idea what sort of overcoats they have in stock? I've been looking for a "Polo" coat. (Not as in Ralph Lauren Polo, but the camel colored overcoat with peak lapels and a belt in back.)

Thanks.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RichmondStyle
How about this as a proposal (though I'm not exactly a longstanding member of SF):

There should be a special PSA deal thread that is only accessible to folks that are logged in and have a certain threshold number of posts. This keeps lurkers and those that don't contribute to the forum from stealing suits away from the folks that make this forum an enjoyable read.

Thoughts?

I actually agree with these sentiments...PSA's are generally intended to help out your fellow SF'er, not your everyday lurker...Anyone else agree?

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about this as a proposal (though I'm not exactly a longstanding member of SF):

There should be a special PSA deal thread that is only accessible to folks that are logged in and have a certain threshold number of posts. This keeps lurkers and those that don't contribute to the forum from stealing suits away from the folks that make this forum an enjoyable read.

Thoughts?

Absolutely. It's one way to increase SF registration and participation. We have talked about the same thing for the "Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata" thread for a long long time but nothing has been done.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slycedbred
I actually agree with these sentiments...PSA's are generally intended to help out your fellow SF'er, not your everyday lurker...Anyone else agree?

I 2nd that idea, even tough it sounds selfish, but ppl who just lurk here and don't actively contribut shouldn't be entitled to our finds.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
I 2nd that idea, even tough it sounds selfish, but ppl who just lurk here and don't actively contribut shouldn't be entitled to our finds.

+1000

Regards.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How's this?

Whenever someone stumbles across a sale in the future, just let me know and I'll determine when and how to make the info public.

Works for me.

lefty

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
They are making money...we are spending money.
Each major SF frenzy generates about $50,000.00 worth of spending (tough to be exact as lots of lurkers too). Rather than hide that, I would look for ways to promote our site IMO.

Regards.

What I was thinking.

Originally Posted by haganah
You have 36 posts.

ROFL

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not worth it

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree we shouldn't openly advertising to the sales staff that you heard the sale through styleforum. Because they can easily sign up here and lurke, and perhaps effect their pricing decision in the future. Also, in this case, I think it created a sense of resentment on the polo staff's mind, becuase their workload just trippled in the past weekend, I don't think they really appreciate it.
I'm not sure how you guys present yourselves, but i thanked denise for answering my questions about measurements, styles and availablility, and she said she appreciated the bother, and was happy that people were buying from the store. So i wouldnt be too quick to jump the conclusion that we're "bothering" people. Personally at work, i much prefer to be busy then bored, they day flys by!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My point is that the folks who have been on here a while and contribute to this board regularly should probably get some advantage for sales that get posted on here.

Not being greedy sounds like a much better idea to me.

You might consider being happier that someone let all of us know about it (thanks!) rather then just reaping all the benefits.

I'm sure the original poster would have made very good money buying their entire stock and selling them in the B&S forum for a 25% profit.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I'm sure the original poster would have made very good money buying their entire stock and selling them in the B&S forum for a 25% profit.

but just becuase he didn't do it, doesn't mean some lurker won't do it, and that would suck for the rest of us.

Reborn

Reaction score
Local sale and I miss out!

This is what I get for taking a few days off SF.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Not being greedy sounds like a much better idea to me.

You might consider being happier that someone let all of us know about it (thanks!) rather then just reaping all the benefits.

+1.

It's not like "contributing members" are the only informants of sales, many times it has been a new member who started a frenzy.

And we really don't need to make MC more elitist than as is.

but just becuase he didn't do it, doesn't mean some lurker won't do it, and that would suck for the rest of us.

There're many resellers among frequently posting members as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads