• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wardrobe for the new Batman?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone knows about the wardrobe the newest Bruce Wayne will be sportin in the new movie; Lindy Hemming put Bond in Brioni, wonder what she'll do for Batman's alter-ego? If anyone knows, i'd be curious to know if she goes the same route.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guess my question was finally answered, Bruce Wayne's suits are MTM Armani 'handmade' line, as currently advertised in new mens magazines like GQ/ Esquire. thought it might be of note for styleforumites.

http://www.sfilate.com/fashion/news.cfm?id=11371

kshah

Reaction score
I saw that ad and immediately thought Patrick Bateman is back - low gorge.

Shraka

Reaction score
I like low gorge.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Interesting that the gorge is as low as it is. Not old-school low, but lower than much of the high-end stuff we see today. Has Armani skipped the trend for super-high gorges?

My first thought too when I was flipping through GQ and saw this.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting that the gorge is as low as it is. Not old-school low, but lower than much of the high-end stuff we see today. Has Armani skipped the trend for super-high gorges?

Armani is setting the new trend of 'low' gorges that other design house will follow in the next couple years!

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For comparison:

waynevb0.jpg

atto-s-2b_1_re_small.jpg

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
For comparison:

waynevb0.jpg

atto-s-2b_1_re_small.jpg

Point taken, though I want to point out two things:

1. The height at which the Bateman picture was taken is higher than the height at which the 2nd photo is taken, making the gorge look lower down on his body.

2. More of an interesting aesthetic point: the breast pocket on the Armani seems quite high, the 2nd picture's breast pocket is slightly lower than average.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Point taken, though I want to point out two things:

1. The height at which the Bateman picture was taken is higher than the height at which the 2nd photo is taken, making the gorge look lower down on his body.

Discounting variation in camera angle, which I'll give you, check out the gorge in relation to the shirt collar. Batman's points are fairly long and narrow, and the gorge sits about even with the tips. On the second suit, the gorge sits above a spread collar. Now imagine the second coat with Batman's shirt. The gorge on Batman's suit has to be significantly lower.

Personally, if this is the beginning of a trend, I wouldn't mind. Gorges are gonna move down sooner or later -- if they climb much higher, they'll meet behind the neck.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Discounting variation in camera angle, which I'll give you, check out at the gorge in relation to the shirt collar. Patrick's points are fairly long and narrow, and the gorge sits about even with them. On the second suit, the gorge sits above a spread collar. Now imagine the second coat with Patrick's shirt. The gorge on Patrick's suit has to be significantly lower.

Personally, if this is the beginning of a trend, I wouldn't mind. Gorges are gonna move down sooner or later -- if they climb much higher, they'll meet behind the neck.

Strangely enough, I never made the connection between collar point length and gorge until you pointed it out. I tend to see it in relation to where a man's collarbone is since this takes into account the shape of the upper chest as well.

Bateman's gorge and longer shirt points seem to flatten his chest somewhat, looks good though, especially with the slimmer lapel.

Shraka

Reaction score
I don't understand the high gorge thing. I think perhaps 1 in 1,000 people manage to pull it off without looking completely stupid, but even then I don't like it:
7226.jpg
I also notice that more often than not, high gorge suits are always left unbuttoned. A subtle nod to the fact that it looks even more silly done up? I think it's an extension of raising the gorge on suits to stop it from accentuating the stomach... which is only a problem if you're overweight. I'm sick of fashion being dictated by people who are unhealthy.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shraka, that white suit doesn't have a high gorge.

BTW, I think the batman poster would look much better if he wears spread collar instead of point collar. But that's just IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads