• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dress shoes in australia

strazzaque

Reaction score
There seem to be Loakes on sale at DJs for 300. I saw them with my own eyes, and remember being tempted. Trouble is, I refuse to spend 300 on 1 pair.

At Aquila one of the more expensive labels, Hudson, might be worth looking at. They're also within your range, but someone more savvy will have to elaborate.

All I know is, I'm definitely starting a shopping and delivery service for Aussies when I finally make it to Boston. Our time of getting ripped off will hopefully be at an end then.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by strazzaque
There seem to be Loakes on sale at DJs for 300. I saw them with my own eyes, and remember being tempted. Trouble is, I refuse to spend 300 on 1 pair.

At Aquila one of the more expensive labels, Hudson, might be worth looking at. They're also within your range, but someone more savvy will have to elaborate.

All I know is, I'm definitely starting a shopping and delivery service for Aussies when I finally make it to Boston. Our time of getting ripped off will hopefully be at an end then.

Amen brother! Shoes DownUnder are a disgrace - take a trip down somewhere like Oxford Street of a Saturday arvo and it is crap city. Then you have to park!

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by misterjase
for under $400 and purchase from retailer, you best opt for Loake which are a quarter decent (as the price does indicate).

Loakes are cheap on the DJs sale. But watch out for the cobbler leather ones that they are flogging for regular leather prices! RMs also have shoes by the way - brogues - a bit too chisel fronted for me but Goodyear/RM welted shoes for around $500 the same.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw the RM shoes recently and I concluded that Chelseas, not shoes, were their speciality. The brogueing looked inelegant and the last they use for their lace ups looks blobby. However, if you are keen on them I suggest ordering through someone like Steve from Nungar, once you know your size.

Zanzibar

Reaction score
Hi

Don't buy shoes in Australia is my view. I haven't bought a shoe locally ( I am close to Sydney) for the last four years. When I walk into Henry Bucks and see C&J Benchgrades for 950.00 I am thinking two (yes two) Handgrades from Plal is currently about 1040.00. Damn near the same price adn the Aussie dollars just keeps getting better.

Find one of the online measuring charts and measure up your feet. Get a couple of other people to do it also and take the average if there is a difference. Then (heart in mouth) get online to Pediwaer, Plal and Ron Rider for some really good shoes.

I have found the advice from both Plal and Ron Rider to be far superior from that of most shoe stores in Australia and both are more concerned with getting a shoe that fits than making a sale.

Regards
Chris

xarope

Reaction score
Originally Posted by neyus
Florsheim is definitely an often overlooked option. I saw cap and plain toe balmoral in brown the other day, however these were not goodyear welted. Their range is gradually improving as the classically designed shoes become more fashionable. I suggest you check in regularly to see whats available.

I recently went to the Florsheim outlet at stones corner, but there was nothing worthwhile. The length of the store wall was covered in square bicycle-toed and bowling shoes.

Stick to Florsheim at the Myer Centre or possibly through DJs and Myer at sale time. While you're on that level of the Myer Centre you can check out Allen & Edmunds which are available at Peter Sheppard.

I would agree about Florsheim, last year, I picked up an ankle boot in the royal imperial line, which had leather soles topy'd, traditional/classic shape (i.e. not squared/chiselled/bicycle), and it was discounted to only AUD$100 or so (AUD$110?). This was at their Chatswood Chase shop in Chatswood, Sydney, but I'm sure their other shops will also carry the same line.

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I saw the RM shoes recently and I concluded that Chelseas, not shoes, were their speciality. The brogueing looked inelegant and the last they use for their lace ups looks blobby. However, if you are keen on them I suggest ordering through someone like Steve from Nungar, once you know your size.

I saw an RM shoe at The RM Williams store in Brisbane. I wondered why they didn't make more styles for shoes. But I guess bootmaking is their specialty and they need not be too innovative with their shoes. However if they made a sleaker last and refined their broguing they would be a good option. At this stage its only wishful thinking.

ProphetHammer

Reaction score
I did a search for the word "Aquila" and came up with thread. After reading it a bit I have two comments.

The first is that Aquila is not rubbish as there's plenty of quality shoes there if you shop correctly.

The second is that I just picked up a pair of Florsheim RI for less than $200 in Canberra. If I can pick those up for that price here you can certainly find a similar bargain in Brisbane somewhere.

my .02

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProphetHammer
I did a search for the word "Aquila" and came up with thread. After reading it a bit I have two comments.

The first is that Aquila is not rubbish as there's plenty of quality shoes there if you shop correctly.

The second is that I just picked up a pair of Florsheim RI for less than $200 in Canberra. If I can pick those up for that price here you can certainly find a similar bargain in Brisbane somewhere.

my .02

The best shoes at Aquila are probably the ones made by Boss and that's not saying much. I did see some spanish made shoes that were rather tasteful, but I forget who the maker was of those.

neyus

Reaction score
Does anyone know of somewhere in Aus that stocks Allen-Edmonds?

Peter Sheppard does or at least use to, in Brisbane, anyway.

penguin vic

Reaction score
Does anyone know of somewhere in Aus that stocks Allen-Edmonds?

Did you not read the thread??? Peter Shepperd

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by penguin vic
Did you not read the thread??? Peter Shepperd

I know it was mentioned several times on this thread already.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads