• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Football --- Euro '08, Transfers, etc.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have Germany and the Netherlands in the finals in my pool.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe now Ronaldo can finally come out and say whether he's leaving or staying and all this media speculation.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omar1223
no way germany did not kick ass. portugal had two solid chances that should have been goals.

two goals by the germans were blown coverage on free kicks. the first goal however was beautiful.

all in all though it was a great match.

Id take good old German efficiency over playing well and losing out any day
smile.gif

However, i think Germany played a very good second half, played a good start to the match, their midfield was strong and kept possession, even though at first it wasnt converting that possession into chances while Portugal was.

Plus the line-up was an improvement over the past ones, and the players were much more confident in their individual abilities as far as dribbling and geting the ball out were concerned.

Portugal was defending high just like Croatia did, Germany choked against Croatia but managed to pull through in this one.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alrights gents, predictions fot today's match between Croatia and Turkey?

Croatia has been the revelation of this tournament for me. They play fast, agressive football and are quite skilled. They also had over a week of rest (played their B squad against the Poles) while Turkey battled for life against the Czech Republic in what's been THE BEST match of the tournament thus far. I think Croats take it, 2:1.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i say turks 2:1. If the Turks win, I am officially in a moral dilemma on who to root for in the semis. i really like both teams.

as for the germany portugal game yesterday, Big Phil predicted that they would have problems covering tall German players, and he was right. 2 goals on free kicks, both partially due to the height advantage of the german players.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by feynmix
as for the germany portugal game yesterday, Big Phil predicted that they would have problems covering tall German players, and he was right. 2 goals on free kicks, both partially due to the height advantage of the german players.
It was not their first encounter. Don't they learn from history? Two goals from a free kick. Where was the defense? Nearly every team has problems with the german athletics and Kampfgeist. For tonight. I think croatia has some advantages. Turkey "lost" their goalie and has some injured players. You'll never know. For sure it'll be an exciting match.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How will the loss of their GK affect Turkey? Do they have a good back-up?

I think the travails of getting through the first round will have tired out the Turks and Croatia takes the game. Or maybe the Croats have had too much time off and Turkey takes it. Ah hell, I don't know.

b

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
Maybe now Ronaldo can finally come out and say whether he's leaving or staying and all this media speculation.

Ronaldo, in addition to his usual whining, revealed himslef to be an utterly classless piece of sh!t. Yes, there are too many 'injuries' and in general players of past generations are appalled at the diving and grimacing that goes on in the modern (latin?) game. But come on - the guy is the best player in the world and he has the nerve to pull that act on the international stage?! I thought the guy has matured some this year. Truly unbelievable....

Croatia today, and then the humdinger tomorrow....

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Ronaldo, in addition to his usual whining, revealed himslef to be an utterly classless piece of sh!t. Yes, there are too many 'injuries' and in general players of past generations are appalled at the diving and grimacing that goes on in the modern (latin?) game. But come on - the guy is the best player in the world and he has the nerve to pull that act on the international stage?! I thought the guy has matured some this year. Truly unbelievable....

Strong words
laugh.gif

Btw, dawson reminded me on a question I dropped. Does anybody know, why Milan Baros did not play the EM?

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, are you giving the Russians a chance tomorrow?

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Strong words
laugh.gif

Btw, dawson reminded me on a question I dropped. Does anybody know, why Milan Baros did not play the EM?

I figured that since he practically saw no playing time at Portsmouth, it made it difficult to make a starting line up for the national team.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
I figured that since he practically saw no playing time at Portsmouth, it made it difficult to make a starting line up for the national team.

Thanks mishon.

I googled him after the yellow card, but no avail. Just found an article from April, where they said, he wants to return to the National Squad and score. Anyway He was top scorer in 2004 and in the semifinals.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Romafan, what "act" are you talking about? I didn't see most of the game yesterday (only caught about 20 min) so didn't see anything. Frankly, I thought people were just mad that he hasn't said anything about his club. And apparently he's having foot surgery now. Did he do something during the game?

b

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Romafan, what "act" are you talking about? I didn't see most of the game yesterday (only caught about 20 min) so didn't see anything. Frankly, I thought people were just mad that he hasn't said anything about his club. And apparently he's having foot surgery now. Did he do something during the game?

b

He fell over with minimal contact, opposing player stepped on his foot on the way past him while he was down, Ronaldo looked around, made sure someone was watching, and then started having serious spasming contorted pains for about 30 seconds. He was literally clutching his ankle, screaming, and flopping around uncontrollably like a fish. When it became obvious that he wasn't going to get a stoppage and no foul would be called, he opened his eyes, shrugged his shoulder, popped back up, and resumed play. From his acting, you'd have thought his ankle was broken. By a steamroller.

Disgusting, and everything that I HATE about soccer all rolled up into one pretty package.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tokyo there was a lot of flopping on both sides. there was one play i remember when ballack got "knocked" over by a guy half his size. andy gray called him out on it too. speaking of c. ronaldo, it looks like he is leaving Man U. http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...49498&&cc=3888 btw rdawson, the backup goalie i think has the most international appearences for the turkish national team, i think about 115, 116 caps. i heard it on espn, i dont think the GK issue will be that big.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads