• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

are 3 button single breasted suits out of style

MTM

Reaction score
I've been buying 2 button suits only for the past 2 years. I guess I got tired of all the 3 button suits I was getting for awhile. I wonder what all of you guys been going for recently....

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Short answer: No.

Long answer: 3 buttons is the "original" SB style, or at least it came before 2 button SB. It is therefore more classic and always will be. In terms of what is being made and sold, manufacturers sometimes favore 2B over 3B. sometimes the reverse. However, neither style is ever really "out" in the way that certain women's styles go out, or (say) wide ties go out.

BTW, you will have a hard time finding an Italian 2B suit. For them, 3B is always "in."

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My preference is 3 button roll to 2 1/2 or 2. Second would be 2 button. I don't particularly care for straight 3 button.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We should come up with a list of standard responses or response fragments so that we can cite them by number. Here's my stab at coming up with #1.

"Most people on this board aren't terribly interested in what's currently in 'fashion' and believe that if you stick with tried and true it will never go out of 'style.'"

Having said that, you're likely to get different responses on three button suits, ranging from:
A. They don't ever look good on anybody.
B. They only look good on certain body types (taller usually).
C. They're great and you can wear them anytime.

I tend to have every configuration there is, 1 button, 2 button, 3 button, 3 button rolled to 2 button, 3 button rolled to 2.5 button. No 4 buttons or higher though. :yikes:

I'd say if you like them and they look good on you, buy them and don't worry to much about what's "in style" (see #1 above).

factorial

Reaction score
They're not the current trend, but they'll never go out of style.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MTM
I've been buying 2 button suits only for the past 2 years. I guess I got tired of all the 3 button suits I was getting for awhile. I wonder what all of you guys been going for recently....

This same question was asked about 10 years ago. Back then it was whether the the 2 button suit is out of style.

Goes to show that a classic item will NEVER go out of style.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I rate this thread (which I've seen before) three Tomassos:

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Short answer: No.

Long answer: 3 buttons is the "original" SB style, or at least it came before 2 button SB. It is therefore more classic and always will be. In terms of what is being made and sold, manufacturers sometimes favore 2B over 3B. sometimes the reverse. However, neither style is ever really "out" in the way that certain women's styles go out, or (say) wide ties go out.

BTW, you will have a hard time finding an Italian 2B suit. For them, 3B is always "in."

If by "out of style" you mean, currently out of fashion among the fashionable set, the answer is actually, yes. A majority of designers have been stressing two button styles for several of years now, in both sports coats and in suits. Of course, in Idaho, I think that the three button trend is just picking up steam (I'm living on the Idaho/Washington border right now.)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
This same question was asked about 10 years ago. Back then it was whether the the 2 button suit is out of style.

Goes to show that a classic item will NEVER go out of style.

Well, the two button suits now "in style" have higher gorges, a differently shaped, and typically much slimmer lapel, as well as much slimmer silhouette than the two button models that went out of style in the early nineties.

Which goes to show that there are no "classic items", except in the lexicon of marketeers who like to appeal to men's yearnings for stability and security.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A retailer recently told me that the "market" has moved to two button jackets, and so should I. Well, I like my 3/2 jackets and shall not be moved to anything else.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I'd say if you like them and they look good on you, buy them and don't worry to much about what's "in style" (see #1 above).

QFT. Not all styles work on everyone and picking a flattering style definitely adds more points than picking what's 'in' currently.

Originally Posted by LA Guy
Well, the two button suits now "in style" have higher gorges, a differently shaped, and typically much slimmer lapel, as well as much slimmer silhouette than the two button models that went out of style in the early nineties.

I would add shorter skirts, more open quarters, more waist suppression and slimmer pants in addition to your list.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
I would add shorter skirts, more open quarters, more waist suppression and slimmer pants in addition to your list.

Thanks
smile.gif

Actually, the waist suppression has gotten to the point of ridiculous (and I've always liked my suits slim, since I am.) My latest suit I call my honesty suit. I can't gain more than, maybe 2 lbs, without the jacket becoming quite uncomfortable around the middle. I've noticed that this SS and the coming FW, in the Ralph Lauren BL and several other collections (maybe Bottega Veneta), the skirts are not that short, although they way seem longer because the lapels and overall shape is so slim.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
We should come up with a list of standard responses or response fragments so that we can cite them by number. Here's my stab at coming up with #1.

"Most people on this board aren't terribly interested in what's currently in 'fashion' and believe that if you stick with tried and true it will never go out of 'style.'"

Having said that, you're likely to get different responses on three button suits, ranging from:
A. They don't ever look good on anybody.
B. They only look good on certain body types (taller usually).
C. They're great and you can wear them anytime.

I tend to have every configuration there is, 1 button, 2 button, 3 button, 3 button rolled to 2 button, 3 button rolled to 2.5 button. No 4 buttons or higher though. :yikes:

Great idea Mark.

Maybe we need some standard responses about short sleeved 'dress shirts' and questions like 'Does this shirt look good on me half tucked in?', and a few other things.

I have been wearing the same fashion of clothing for over 40 years. I wonder how many times I have been in and out of style - I never really cared.

Cheers, Jim.

fusherino

Reaction score
Thanks
smile.gif

Actually, the waist suppression has gotten to the point of ridiculous (and I've always liked my suits slim, since I am.) My latest suit I call my honesty suit. I can't gain more than, maybe 2 lbs, without the jacket becoming quite uncomfortable around the middle. I've noticed that this SS and the coming FW, in the Ralph Lauren BL and several other collections (maybe Bottega Veneta), the skirts are not that short, although they way seem longer because the lapels and overall shape is so slim.

black label has a v low gorge tho

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A majority of designers have been stressing two button styles for several of years now, in both sports coats and in suits.

But if the designers are stressing 2 buttons for now, that means 3 buttons will be in style very soon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics