• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair Loss Prevention article

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
What about gray hair, tiecollector?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not researched grey hair at all but I have read that it can be reversed by taking Vitamin D3 and maybe some other stuff.

Supposedly L'Oreal has found a molecule that will treat it as well.

Nicesuit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Sure, it is just 3-5 years away since 1995.

Intercytex has announced small scale commercialization in 2008 to their investors.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicesuit
Intercytex has announced small scale commercialization in 2008 to their investors.

Yeah, we'll see. Aderans and Intercytex have been at it a while. They both have to say things to keep the investors happy. I wouldn't be surprised if there are cancer concerns or it falls WAY below expectations and back to the drawing board. Personally, I wouldn't rely on any sort of neogenensis until it has been on the market for at least 20-30 years due to cancer risks.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm, if I read the fda document

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/pdf6/K060305.pdf

correctly, it merely says that it's okay to market the lasercomb to promote hairloss. There is nothing to say that it actually works, the data in the submission is very scant. I don't think that this means that one should interpret it as 'the FDA says it works'.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
Hmm, if I read the fda document

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/pdf6/K060305.pdf

correctly, it merely says that it's okay to market the lasercomb to promote hairloss. There is nothing to say that it actually works, the data in the submission is very scant. I don't think that this means that one should interpret it as 'the FDA says it works'.

Yes, it has FDA level 2 approval, which is safe to use as a *cosmetic* device. This was last I heard at least, I quit following it a while back though. They were funding level 3 approval, which would actually give it scientific validity for regrowing hair, the only two products on the market right now that can legally claim this are Finasteride (propecia) and Minoxidil (rogaine).

FDA approval is a VERY expensive and slow process. The lasercomb works on outdated technology now and there are much cheaper alternatives within this past year.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Low level light therapy has been a 'technology' waiting for useful applications to sprout from it. It's been bandied around for wound and burns healing but no-one is seriously using it; it is popular in cosmetic clinics to promote better whatever in a fairly safe manner.

If it works as well as they say in their preliminary data, then it would be really easy to come up with great statistics for the product, after all, high response rate vs placebo and no side effects - almost the ideal clinical trial.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dapperdude
Like Minoxidil, all these "prevention" techniques (eating omega 3's, scalp massage, dandruff shampoo) can possibly do is to make existing hair more healthy or slightly thicker. They cannot prevent hair loss due to genetics. Not a bad thing, but let's be clear about this.

If the reason men lose their hair is because of bad diet and so forth, how do you explain men with average diets and poor health, walking around with thick heads of hair? There are plenty of people who fall into this category.

The last update to the article pointed out that MPB often has specific triggers.

Likewise, there are also bald athletes in top shape. Since exercise increases insulin sensitivity, there goes the argument that sugary foods and lack of exercise cause hair loss.
Athletes, especially younger ones, don't necessarily eat well or avoid other, less speculative hair-loss causing behaviors. Of course nobody is saying that doing everything right guarantees a full head of hair.

By the way, avoiding gray hair - or premature gray hair - likely also involves preventing some of the same factors, such as disease and nutritional deficiencies.

Woogie

Reaction score
i am looking for some anti dht products (or anything really) to slow down the thinning of my hair. what would people recommend? nizoral, rogaine, nanocaps and nanoguard are the ones i have brielfy looked at.

(as a side note i have been asking people if they have used nanogen nanofibres or toppik to conceal thinner patches of hair and if they are worth a temporary investment - i know its not really prevention but if anyone has used either i would love to have soe feedback)

thanks, WW

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
woogie- juding from your avatar pic, there really isn't much you can do now besides a sweet eagle tattoo on top.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any healthy way to promote grey hair? Im 23 and hope I go grey before I turn 30. I think it looks great.

Woogie

Reaction score
good point haha. luckily thats not me just yet (a quick avatar change was needed there)

im trying to be optimistic. ive heard such good things about anti dht products. apart from my crown my hairloss isn't so noticable which is why im looking for both concealer and prevention.

i think im going to buy some nanogen nanofibres and probably one of their prevention products as well. no tattoo just yet!!!

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Right, I'm convinced that hairloss is a symptom of some other imbalance or ailment. I don't buy into the "it's part of getting older" or "genetics says so" arguments.

Prevention is the only real cure!

You're "convinced", yet there's absolutely no evidence of it. Since when has male pattern baldness ever been linked to any kind of ailment? Sorry to burst your bubble, but MPB is just unlucky genes. Some of the healthiest/fittest guys out there have MPB, and vice versa.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thyroid dysfunction is believed to be present in up to ten percent of cases (likely both sexes). There are many other causes of male hair loss that are not MPB, though their combined prevalence likely is lower. It's very bad if conventional wisdom (baldness is inevitable, use Rogaine or Propecia when it happens) is leading to undertreatment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads