• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the ideal military body?

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the ideal body for a soldier according to the military?
I don't care how you measure it. Weight, height, fat %, waist and chest size etc.
Just curious.

Spilotro

Reaction score
Depends on many things. I suppose all builds are going to have their place, so long as that person is in good physical condition.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spilotro
Depends on many things. I suppose all builds are going to have their place, so long as that person is in good physical condition.

Not at all. The air force for example, prefers all their men whether 5'0 or 6'2 to have a 32" waist.
These are the kinds of things i'm asking about.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
honestly, that is pretty much impossible to answer. If I had to give an answer

5 foot 10, 180 pounds, able to do 20 pullups and run a 3.5 hour marathon.

but let me answer that a different way - in an infantry company (and, lets face it, the only thing that really counts is Infantry) you will have some riflemen, some machine gunners, some snipers, some mortarmen, officers, sargents and a wide variety of others. you need some guys who are comfortable carrying a 60 mm mortar but aren't that great at sprinting, and some guys who are great at running but can't carry anything heavier than a normal pack. and you need both kinds.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I carry a bengal tiger in a large slingshot.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I carry my banana in a bengal tiger hammock.

^^ This is a "*****" joke waiting to happen.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
What's the ideal body for a soldier according to the military?
I don't care how you measure it. Weight, height, fat %, waist and chest size etc.
Just curious.

Do you ask this as "what is the ideal body for a fighting machine?"

If so then as normal people go I would say look at the build of a strong safety in the NFL and stick him in the military... i.e. Pat Tillman - 5'11" - 202... great strength to weight ratio. Above average intelligence, agility, eye sight etc... But this obviously can vary, because you look at a guy like Lebron James with all those stats (apparently he can kick out 25 pull ups no prob) and he is obviously a athletic specimen.

Also why does the air force prefer a 32" waist?

KBW

Reaction score
the 32" waist comment is one of the more absurd I've ever heard

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW

+1. There's a the "Dumb Threads" subforum for this kind of thing...
plain.gif

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
honestly, that is pretty much impossible to answer. If I had to give an answer

5 foot 10, 180 pounds, able to do 20 pullups and run a 3.5 hour marathon.

but let me answer that a different way - in an infantry company (and, lets face it, the only thing that really counts is Infantry) you will have some riflemen, some machine gunners, some snipers, some mortarmen, officers, sargents and a wide variety of others. you need some guys who are comfortable carrying a 60 mm mortar but aren't that great at sprinting, and some guys who are great at running but can't carry anything heavier than a normal pack. and you need both kinds.

This hits the nail on the head. The military is not some monolithic entity. There are many different jobs to be done and different body types suited to the work. Just like football players vs triathletes.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
32" waist huh? Is that anatomical waist or pants waist?
confused.gif

Originally Posted by KBW

Originally Posted by whacked
+1. There's a the "Dumb Threads" subforum for this kind of thing...
plain.gif

Well it's true. Google it if you doubt me.

datasupa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
The air force for example, prefers all their men whether 5'0 or 6'2 to have a 32" waist.
No, it's not true, not the way you phrased it. They don't specify the waist to be exactly 32" (which would be absurd, as people have said), they have a maximum waist size limit of 32.5". This rule is also ridiculous, since it doesn't account for height or age, but not as ridiculous as what you wrote.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads