• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today was not as dramatic as in the past but...

1 BNWT Zegna (Italy) 100% cashmere sport coat. I am going to sell this, I have too many cashmere jackets and this is a 44L. Any interest, let me know
2. Dark Charcoal Incotex wool trews, wow these are nice, and really nice for $4.15. Even better that they need no alteration at all.

There were a bunch of double breasted Gieves and Hawkes made in US suits, but I didnt feel like bothering with them.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How often do you guys make the rounds?
I try to hit all my stores once a week... I feel like anything more is overkill. But then, I wonder - how much amazing stuff am I missing because I only go once a week? It's a real question.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^A question I ask myself all the time. I'm on about the same schedule you are, but I always wonder what I missed when I wasn't there. One day recently I just happened to be near a store I had been to only a couple days earlier. With nothing better to do, I went in just as they were putting a brand new pair of Brooks English brogued cap toes on the shelf priced at $5. Had never even been tried on! If I had been there ten minutes earlier they wouldn't have been there. If I had waited until the next week, when I would normally have returned, they wouldn't have been there. So, I set up a tent and I live there now, but I wonder what I'm missing at the other stores. Seriously though, its all random and sometimes your lucky, as I was that day and other times you think you'll never find another thing.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
^^^A question I ask myself all the time. I'm on about the same schedule you are, but I always wonder what I missed when I wasn't there. One day recently I just happened to be near a store I had been to only a couple days earlier. With nothing better to do, I went in just as they were putting a brand new pair of Brooks English brogued cap toes on the shelf priced at $5. Had never even been tried on! If I had been there ten minutes earlier they wouldn't have been there. If I had waited until the next week, when I would normally have returned, they wouldn't have been there. So, I set up a tent and I live there now, but I wonder what I'm missing at the other stores. Seriously though, its all random and sometimes your lucky, as I was that day and other times you think you'll never find another thing.

Yeah, I know right? It can be such a tease. Went to a store today and found some ridiculous stuff, and now I"m like... wanting to go back the day after tomorrow. Luckily the price of gas makes it a 8 dollar trip and not that economical, so I won't. But seriously, thrifting = crack when you're finding good stuff.

Georgia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
thrifting = crack when you're finding good stuff.

^^Well said.

I typically make the rounds once a week, but have 'doubled up' on occasion with mixed results. Sometimes the hunting is good, sometimes it's bad. I have come to the conclusion that no matter when you go, it's all luck of the draw...

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
Went to a store today and found some ridiculous stuff...

Oh, where would that be?
mwink[1].gif

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have to figure out the flow of the shops.
The one I find my gold at, takes in donations from the charities such as purple heart vetrans, AmVets, etc. I know when they go through my area (which is generally a very affluent area) because they call me, I then know that [I need to be there the next day early when it opens as it takes a day to process what they take in.
I try to go 2 times a week if I can fit it in. Always on Tuesdays.[/i]

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go to the thrifts once a week. If I find a ridiculously good haul, I'll return the next day to see if they had put out more from the same donator or whatever after I had left.

For me, it's hard to gauge when to go it. My luckiest places put out donations every day and take in donations from the wealthy areas to the poverty stucken areas. So for me, it's all about being at the right place at the right time.

Ex. One day, I ran into an old friend from high school at the store I was at before heading to the thrift shop. He had nothing else to do, so he accompanied me on the trip. Since we chatted for a while in the store we ran into each other in, I was running a bit behind schedule. I like to get there around 1 pm. However, we arrived about 2:30. As I walked in, I saw a worker push a rack of suits out from the back room. While he helped me searching for nice stuff in my size (he kept bringing me Hilfiger, Nautica and Polo) I laid eyes on three Isaia hangers. Low and behold, three like-new bespoke Isaia suits were hung on them. They ran about $20/piece. Best haul for me as of yet. If I hadn't had run into him and arrived at 1, I would have been out of there by 2 and missed the suits! Timing is everything.

Nashville

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff
I'll take the first pair if you're looking to sell them.

great find , I have the second pair already in Black Suede...very nice shoes, I find it hard to believe they were goodwill finds

kalice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nashville
great find , I have the second pair already in Black Suede...very nice shoes, I find it hard to believe they were goodwill finds

thanks! It was a goodwill in relatively affluent area. And I think the two are from the same guy judging by the size. I just hope they're not a dead man's shoes.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a nice Charvet tie today in navy and gold. $1.95

I used to be against flipping on eBay but with gas prices the way they are I can't afford to "waste" a trip and come out empty handed, as the thrifts I visit are about 30-40 minutes away. So....I got a NWOT Banana Republic Heratige blazer and some Equilibrio shirts to flip. On another note, I've never ventured into a Banana Republic since they changed to a Gap-esque retailer, but I like the looks of their Heratige line.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Found a lovely pair of Trafalgar Limited Edition braces for $2.99. Apparently the LE braces sell for $170 according to Dann Online. This is the fourth pair of LE braces I've found.

p1012813za3.jpg

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found my first Hermès today. It's surprisingly narrow at 3 1/8". Any guesses about how old it is?

hermes1fo2.jpg

hermes3kc5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics