• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another "my new apartment" thread

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If SoCal can, so can I, so...here's my redecoration thread. Here's the "blank canvas", as it stands - the electrician's coming in tomorrow, then carpenters, painters...it will be interesting to be confined to the bedroom, bathroom and kitchen while they're doing up the living-room, dining-room/office and hall. Bathroom is finished, thankfully. (See my posts in the WAYWT thread, it's the one with black-and-white tile floor.) Living-room:
DSC05070.jpg
DSC05071.jpg
DSC05073.jpg
DSC05072.jpg
Dining-room/office:
DSC05076.jpg
DSC05082.jpg
Original jute wallpaper, 1929:
DSC05074.jpg
Planned bookcas, not sure about this one:
DSC05077.jpg
Hall:
DSC05083.jpg
(Don't look at the furniture, most of it will be leaving.) View from kitchen or living-room, sundown:
DSC05062.jpg
Same side, late afternoon:
DSC04642.jpg
View from bedroom, late afternoon:
DSC05059.jpg

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for colours, etc., are most welcome. I'll try to put up a plan drawing one of these days, and post a few updates. Here's how we'll be living for the next three weeks or so:
DSC05084.jpg
(This means that the bedroom and kitchen will have to wait until autumn.)

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
What city are you in?

I would do some painting and floor refinishing if allowed. Looks like nice views.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally don't care for those floors. Are you planning on keeping them?

Laffertron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by contactme_11

I agree, have you considered sanding them down and adding a coat of varnish? What kind of timber in the flooring?

I also want to chime in and say I would love to have a place like this where I have to either do everything up in the perfect style or else live like a squatter - it's a great opportunity to fix everything up exactly how you want, without any major construction work required. The apartment I'm in now was basically new when I got it and spending any money to change it around would be a waste when I come to sell it, I'm on the hunt for a house with a similar situation to your place where I have to renovate the interior and can do it exactly how I've always wanted.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That jute wallpaper is awesome. Is that just a small amount remaining or is there more underneath, just covered up? If the latter, I'd say bring it back. Nice place ya got, can't wait to see the finished product! From the looks of your furniture, I'd say our tastes are pretty modern. I've found earth tones to go well with this style.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments!
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
What city are you in? I would do some painting and floor refinishing if allowed. Looks like nice views.
I'm in Oslo, Norway - yep, the walls will get a new (6 mm) plaster layer, and then filler and paint, all the window- and door-frames will be new, and the floor will be lightly sanded, then scrubbed, and then either oiled or stained.
Originally Posted by contactme_11
Yes, they're original, so we'll try to keep them.
Originally Posted by Laffertron
I agree, have you considered sanding them down and adding a coat of varnish? What kind of timber in the flooring?
The flooring is pine, and was stained white-ish around ten years ago.
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Furniture. I bet you have some nice peices just waiting to find a spot in the new place!
I do
smile.gif
- bought a nice, biggish alabaster hanging lamp for the hall just yesterday.
Originally Posted by Nataku
That jute wallpaper is awesome. Is that just a small amount remaining or is there more underneath, just covered up? If the latter, I'd say bring it back. Nice place ya got, can't wait to see the finished product! From the looks of your furniture, I'd say our tastes are pretty modern. I've found earth tones to go well with this style.
Sadly , the wallpaper's saturated with dried paint, so it's going. I'd have liked to keep it, at least on one wall. Photobucket isn't behaving at the moment, but I took a few more photos - I'll post them when it's working again.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess you bought it then?

It seems to have lots of windows, which is nice. I don't like pine floors in general though. Pine is my least favorite wood. It just doesn't have the attractive grain of other woods.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like a nice place. Perhaps you can snap a few more pics of the corners of the apt.

tounge.gif

dl

eidolon

Reaction score
A friend of mine mocked the hell out of me when I recommended using a tool for graphics and website design as a base for getting color ideas for his house, but I have no shame so I'm going to recommend it to you: http://kuler.adobe.com/ It's not perfect for large-scale projects (like the interior of a building), but I think some of the patterns on there are good and could give you a base to work off of, as well as letting you put your own colors together and seeing how they look quite easily (easier than trying to get an idea from little paint cards, anyway). If you go into "Most Popular" I'm quite a big fan of the idea of eventually designing a room around "Camo Nouveau."

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
first, get rid of that god awful stove and get a space heater. as a good efriend, I would be happy to take it off your hands, I'll even have it picked up.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Dining-room/office:

DSC05076.jpg

Nice looking chairs. Are they palisander? They remind me of the maui side chair, but these have more flair.

!luc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads