• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official MMA thread

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
interesting. There were rumors that they may do this, but filed it under 'nah they wouldnt stoop so low'.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dana White is one vindictive mofo. My initial thought was that this tactic may not work because Affliction still has the much better card. Then I realized that many bars that would otherwise order the Affliction PPV may show the free UFC event instead.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that the fedor draw ( for MMA fans) is way to big. The UFC would have to put up a stupid mega card.
Think of all the MMA fans in Japan, U.S. and Europe waiting to watch Fedor show us if he still has it.

The thing is Fedor isn't ranked that high anymore becuase of his long absence in the ring/cage.
He was ( still can be) in his time just like Anderson Silva. The dude is pretty ******* good and there is NO way Sylvias ground game and compare to Fedors.
I will pay the 50.00 to watch this card over any chumpy UFC free card.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a crazy hook up so I dont know what prices are. I am rolling tomorrow with my boy Ryan Hall. He just won worlds (BJJ) lightweight purple belt. The Kid is a Beast.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Denimbar
I have a crazy hook up so I dont know what prices are. I am rolling tomorrow with my boy Ryan Hall. He just won worlds (BJJ) lightweight purple belt. The Kid is a Beast.
You train at Jeff Ruth's place in Arlington?

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
kinda. I was Llyod's first thai boxing instructor back in the day. I helped Jeff when he was getting started.
I will be there tomorrow rolling with Ryan at Jeff's.
I support Jeff and his team 100%
I started with Mr.K before I met Lloyd in 95 I believe.
I met Jeff at K's house.
You train there????

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I've heard and read, the Vera/Silva fight is off now, but UFC is still planning on running a card at the same time as the Affliction event.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who can the UFC get with one-month notice? This card is going to end up looking like a UFC Fight Night. No competition for Affliction.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
youre forgetting something man it's....freeeeeee.... the serious guys will go buy Affliction, sure...but the business growth isnt coming from there, it is coming from casual fans and the advertisers that they attract...and they will be highly attracted by the fact that it's free. And let's not forget that UFC is now basically a brand (and "Ultimate Fighting" is pretty close to being the layman's term for MMA), so layman's decision "free fighting from big famous company" versus "forty bucks from some guy Ive never heard of" Besides, any of those ex Pride guys are used to fighting at eleven minutes notice and ignoring the results of weigh ins
smile.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, a lot of bars and other places that show these events will probably opt to show the free UFC event rather than the PPV Affliction event.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ryan won worlds and got his brwn belt yesterday. I had a great lesson and we rolled a sec .
Anyone in the DC area should try to work out with this kid he is an amazing teacher and a Beast BJJ player.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am surprised that Ryan is only a brown belt. I saw a YouTube video of him submitting a black belt.

I am considering training at Jeff's or at Mario Yamasaki's affiliate in DC. I am leaning toward the latter because it is closer and I have friends there, but I will check out Jeff's place.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jeff's in metro accessible and is a Great palce to train. Ever went to Yamsaki's but I have afreind who is a blue belt there and he likes it.

Ryan submitss blacks all the time. the kid is a beast.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Denimbar
Jeff's in metro accessible and is a Great palce to train. Ever went to Yamsaki's but I have afreind who is a blue belt there and he likes it.

Ryan submitss blacks all the time. the kid is a beast.

cummon why does it matter what race he submits?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads