• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top quality belts

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UCBerkelyHaas06
#2. Who are the best manufacturers? In my view, there are only two belt manufacturers fighting for the right to be called "best." Brave belts from Canada, and the brand I manage, Bill Adler, from Oregon (Bill Adler also makes all of Nike Inc's belts, hence our Oregon headquarters). Brave & Bill Adler both have belts as their core business, which allows focus and attention to detail. The big brands, for which belts are a secondary business, just don't seem to care as much about belts.
In what possible way are these two the "only two belt manufacturers fighting for the right to be called 'best'." As far as I can see, Brave belts are limited to a small number of very fashion-forward designs that just wouldn't work with any dress or business outfit that I can think of. And Bill Adler belts--which your website makes almost impossible to see (since I wasn't already a customer, I couldn't access the catalog)--appear to be more of the same--lots of "creative" metal pieces, funky designs, and other "fashion-forward" features--pretty much ruling them out completely for any kind of dress or business wear. There are lots of truly excellent beltmakers out there (including many large commercial outfits like Allen-Edmonds, Hermes, Zegna, etc., that market belts made for them, in addition to the smaller shops) that can definitely give Brave and Bill Adler a "fight for the right to be called the best" and would, I believe win that fight.
wink.gif

Reaction score
Haha ok fair enough. I agree with you. I should have narrowed my comment to say "denim-oriented" belts. In the grand world of belts, the Hermes and Zegnas of the world are doing some nice things. Regarding the website - we only sell to retailers (not direct to consumers). Our retailers don't want everyone to see the wholesale prices, and we've had some problems getting knocked-off in the past. So we're keeping the site kinda private until our direct to consumer site is ready to launch.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Did you really go to Haas? If so, why misspell Berkeley?

Reaction score
I did graduate from Haas @ Berkeley. Miss-spelled Berkeley as a personal error then I couldn't figure out how to change it. Do you know how? Did you go to UCB?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did graduate from Haas @ Berkeley. Miss-spelled Berkeley as a personal error then I couldn't figure out how to change it. Do you know how? Did you go to UCB?

You misspelling Berkeley is utterly amazing. That sort of mistake isn't a typo either (I went to Cal, and I can't fathom missing the 3rd "e"). Also, misspell is one word. I think, usually without mod intervention, you are stuck with the SN you create.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

So, uh, this the hot MBA job you're stuck with?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
So, uh, this the hot MBA job you're stuck with?

Undergrads with a degree in business like to boast they "went to Haas." I guess because you have to apply to get into the program unlike most undergrad degrees at CAL. They seem to be very proud of the fact. I'm just assuming the poster was an undergrad.

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foto010101
I have gone through all topics related to belts on this forum to find out which manufacturers make high-quality leather classic belts. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a lot of relevant information. This is strange, because a proper belt is a must for a gentleman!

Let's start a thread where we discuss high-quality leather belts. What factors contribute to a good belt and which manufacturers are the best.

Perhaps a bespoke belt would be best. One might start with April in Paris (SF) and Flemings (ATL) and branch out from there.

Reaction score
Undergrad only. I didn't intend to boast about my undergraduate degree, misspell Berkeley, or claim to have a "hot job." Guess I accidentally punched myself in the face here.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I am a fan of Martin Dingman belts, readily found on sale at Nordies periodically.

misterjase

Reaction score
Paolo Scafora offers belts and a range of leathergoods (in addition to shoes) which should be beaut (if go-by his shoes).

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I recently purchased a shell cordovan Alden belt from the estimable Tom Park of LeatherSOUL, and it's very, very nice.

I admit that belts are an area of rapidly diminishing returns. A 30 euro India-made belt from Loding can look as nice as a 400 euro belt from Berluti. Hermes and Aubercy can do some wonderful belts, and I love EG's belts, but there are excellent belts available at a fraction. I do have a croco Herpes belt coming that I am looking forward to though.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I recently purchased a shell cordovan Alden belt from the estimable Tom Park of LeatherSOUL, and it's very, very nice. I admit that belts are an area of rapidly diminishing returns. A 30 euro India-made belt from Loding can look as nice as a 400 euro belt from Berluti. Hermes and Aubercy can do some wonderful belts, and I love EG's belts, but there are excellent belts available at a fraction. I do have a croco Herpes belt coming that I am looking forward to though.
That sounds potentially interesting. Aren't Aubercy's belts made by Duret? Hermes, I think, are in-house, but they're insidious enough to make sure you can only buy their belt buckles.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The best belt maker is Bill Julian. He is better than Bea. Bea and Bill are the top.
There are no others that compare. Fleming's comes in after that but in a different category. Fleming's uses Hermes skins. They will send samples. It can take awhile to get a belt from Bill or Bea. Fleming's is very fast and cheaper as well. Fleming's belt is the one that most other belt makers have copied. What hasn't been copied are the fabulous skins Bob, the owner of Fleming's, goes to Paris to buy. Their service is wonderful. Belts are their business.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads