• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bentley v Rolls Royce

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
Really?

bentley-brooklands002-sm.jpg

This is a huge car that looks much smaller in the pic than it actually is. It is a bit too massive for me, especially as a coupe. I like the looks of it, though.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
This is a huge car that looks much smaller in the pic than it actually is. It is a bit too massive for me, especially as a coupe. I like the looks of it, though.

I've not seen the Brooklands in person. But, seeing as how you drive what I would consider a very large coupe, I'll take you word for it. To my eye, it is a beautiful design.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
I've not seen the Brooklands in person. But, seeing as how you drive what I would consider a very large coupe, I'll take you word for it. To my eye, it is a beautiful design.
I have sat in but not driven the Brooklands. Beautiful cars, yet massive.

Yes, my car is longer than my SUV. It too looks a bit smaller than it is.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have sat in but not driven the Brooklands. Beautiful cars, yet massive.

Yes, my car is longer than my SUV. It too looks a bit smaller than it is.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you drive? Consequently, the Brooklands is a large car...but I guess that's part of the allure. I remember the first time I saw a Phantom on the road, my first initial thought, was how the car was huge.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
There was a exhibition in Vienna's Technical Museum recently: Chromjuwelen - cromejewels. Unfortunately the cromejewels-site, does not work.

The car was on display: Just amazing...

IIRC, there are only the two left, which are in the MB museum in Stuttgart.

MB had a strong appearence in the "old" DTM-Trophy with the 190-2.3-16V. Beginning of the nineties they competed with BMW and Audi and took the trophy in 92 with Bernd Schneider.

I find it difficult for MB to make a car more beautiful than the original 300SL, but seems as if they've accomplished the task.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It looks similar in length to the Mercedes W111 coupe:

Image-EAAF02F2D29A11D8.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have seen and sat in an MB W111 couple. The Brooklands is larger, but not by much.

Mblova

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
Actually Andrew you have to go several post back to get the point, it was more in reference to the AMG CLK Black edition being MB's recent best possible car for the track.

If you can think of a better car in their arsenal, please tell.....but I've always thought of them as more of a luxury auto maker.

AMG CLK BLACK is a ridic track car. Prob the best in their arsenal. They are comming out with the SL black edition. Would love to see how this car does.

Shraka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
I see nothing wrong with an engine which is reliable, runs to 7 grand, posts great torque/ power numbers, and weighs less than some 6 cylinders and most v8's. I'm usually more interested in the engines output, rather than the actual technological design, however the fact the LS7 is composed of titanium, aluminum and has the compression ratio of a highend supercar ....makes me all the more impresssed. Maybe you can find some cons (outside of older technology), but I can't think of too much wrong, with the LS7 design.

....and remember, inline engines are a fairly old technology dating all the way back to Ford Model A's. I do agree about inlines being better balanced, however they barely make great applications for performance cars, because of their size and weight (the Supra and M3 are the only exceptions).

The overall weight isn't a problem. The problem is the length. A longer engine means you have to either have a really long bonnet, or put more of the weight over the front of the front wheels, which makes the balance worse. You always want your engine as close to the center of your car as possible.

Another reason they are not being used as much anymore is because it is harder to make them meet pedestrian crash regs (due to the long, tall engine being closer to the front being more likely to cause injury).

The final reason they are not used so much anymore is because you can't easily make them into a FWD application. A lot of sports engines share a heritage with a consumer engine, and if you can't make it front wheel drive nobody will buy your car (with a few exceptions). Not to mention if you're already designing V6s, you already know the pitfalls of those engines, and are more likely to 'stick with what you know' and not start from scratch on an inline 6 sports engine.

As for Inline 6s being 'old tech', that's not true. They're a layout, not a technology. You can update a layout with new technology.

There are a few more examples than you mentioned too! Just some off the top of my head:
- Nissan RB20, RB25 and RB26 engines, the RB26 being included in the Skyline GT-R, one of the leading sports cars from Japan.
- TVR Speed Six engine in the TVR Cerbera, Tamora, T350, Tuscan, Sagaris and Typhon.
- Inline 6s were used in Formula one from 1947 to 1960.
- Ford Australia's DOHC Turbocharged I6

Also, the ones you did mention: The Toyota Supra 2JZ-GTE is considered by many to be the BEST turbo engines ever developed. It's solid, reliable, and can make LOTS of power without exploding (1000+hp models are almost common). And the M3 is the best, longest lived sports coupes ever. The old M3 engine was brilliant. So you can't tell me they don't make good sports applications.

An inline six not used for ease and convenience, not because the engine design is bad.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mblova
AMG CLK BLACK is a ridic track car. Prob the best in their arsenal. They are comming out with the SL black edition. Would love to see how this car does.
Yeah, I saw a pic somewhere on the net...the car looked pretty insane.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads