• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skinny suit

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Skinny suits has been around before that dude is born...

Did you read what I said? I said nothing about skinny suits, I love them. I hate sizing down in items in order to compensate for fit. It makes people think in terms of sizing, not fit.

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
It really depends on the cut of the suit. You can probably size down 2 on 70's/80's era suits with huge shoulder paddings and still look modern (minus the low gorges and wide lapels). Most of the eBay listings for these types of "suits to size down" seems vintage from those eras.

But sizing down on modern suits with narrower shoulders is probably not a good idea. Problem being your shoulders and looking like you're squeezing into your junior school uniform.

Anamoly

Reaction score
seriously wear clothes that fit you. I said FIT you. that means not too big OR too small. That guy looks like an adrogynous terminally ill patient from auschwitz. I see these types dancing around here in lower manhattan all the time. Its stupid. youre trying too hard douchebag. Youre not a starving mod rockstar from 60s british invasion. Youre name is not nigel or lars youre name is trevor and youre family has a three car garage in connecticut. Get over yourself.
teacha.gif

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Anamoly
seriously wear clothes that fit you. I said FIT you.

that means not too big OR too small. That guy looks like an adrogynous terminally ill patient from auschwitz. I see these types dancing around here in lower manhattan all the time.

Its stupid. youre trying too hard douchebag. Youre not a starving mod rockstar from 60s british invasion. Youre name is not nigel or lars youre name is trevor and youre family has a three car garage in connecticut. Get over yourself.

teacha.gif

speaking of douchebags

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, a suit is for dress. A slim suit works, a skinny one doesn't. And for very important, conservative occasions, I don't even feel a slim suit works, you need a well-fitted traditional suit (like a job interview, etc). I think that the ideal fit, for a decent price, and using decent material for a slim suit is the Z Zegna suits. I have a bunch of them, all bought at end of season sales, for under $400, and I think for a fashion-forward, but still business-appropriate look, they're right on the money.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
speaking of douchebags

I think he has a fairly valid point, this whole sub-trend seems a bit overdone and like they're chasing past times and identities have long since gone.

I'm not saying throw out some of the ideas completely, but to over do it seems unnecessary.

roothack.exe

Reaction score
Ok, I have an idea of the look you are going for. Something similar to a trend that we are seeing in some fashion magazines... Personally, I am a fan of a suit that comes off as very true to fit and apparently you do to. However, there is a problem with the means upon which you are trying to achieve this look. Obviously suits come in different shapes and sizes and based on what the available price points are for a suit none of them are created equally.

With that being said, it would be a mistake of monumental proportions if you were to take a suit and downsize it to try and accommodate your standards. The reason being is that a suit is sized to accentuate the right parts of the subject according to his standards. Take Brooks Brothers for example, Brooks Brothers has a wide offering of impeccable suits and jackets. The coat that I have was designed for a more conservative look, while accentuating the shoulders by providing a perfectly snug fit. If I were to purchase my jacket a couple of sizes too small, there would be a lot of issues with the fit of the jacket that I would soon realize were unintentional. Like for instance, not only would my shoulders not fit correctly, but the way the arm width is cut, my jacket would look inappropriately short given the arm width.On top of this, the jacket would be far too long given the dimensions that you are trying to shoot for because the native length of the jacket is longer than most European cut jackets.

So what is the look you are looking for? Well, it sounds to me as if you are interested in a suit that has more of the British bespoke feel that we are seeing right now with Burberry and Polo: Purple Label and Black Label.

So here is what you are going to be looking for in your suit, You want the suit to have a narrow waist. A short torso, and most of all, high armholes for a more athletic feel that will accentuate your body type. In the trouser, you don't want trousers too small in the waist. get something that you are comfortable with, and look for a trouser that has a tapered fit. For this type of suit, I suggest a narrow lapel that is notched (if you are shelling out a lot of money on a suit, I suggest that you make sure that your lapel is rolled instead of creased), however as of right now, companies such as Dolce & Gabbana as well as Armani have created suits with the same dimensions I have described with peaked lapels. If you choose to opt for a suit with a peaked lapel, be sure that the peak rests on your collar bone...

Hope this helps.

Nico Samuel Pleninsek

Reaction score
I love skinny suits, and I will probably have one made in the near future. Who gives a damn? I could care less what others think; you only have one life, do whatever the hell you want.

wetwax

Reaction score
TaT. hands down. if you have a slim build, Jason's suit will blow you away. the point is that suits sized too small are, um, too small. suits have to fit. that's all that matters. the goal is to find a slim-cut suit that fits you correctly. which leads me back to this: TaT.

Musselma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Anamoly
guess uncontrol has nothing

You don't think it's even just a little douche-y to make fun of people who were sent to concentration camps?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads