• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official MMA thread

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that's a good point but the MMA crowd is growing and if world wide they pull 100,000 pay per view slots at 42.00 they paid for the card and then probably made a cool million on sponosrs and the door.
Not great but not shabby at all.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I think Sylvia will win it actually. I think Fedor is way too out of practice to deal with someone of his calibre.

This will be in a ring rather than a cage, right?

shimmyt

Reaction score
damn i wasn't even going to start looking into the affliction ppv for at least another 2 weeks or so.

Reborn

Reaction score
Looks to be a great card and I can see Tim surprising a lot of people in this fight.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess everyone finally has to stop calling Tim Sylvia a ***** for not fighting Fedor.

The line up looks good. My predictions for winners right now would be Tim Sylvia, Andrei Arlovski, Josh Barnett, Matt Lindland, and Babalu. I think the hardest to call and best fight of the card is Fedor vs Sylvia, and I definitely look forward to that fight.

I'm going to be sure to watch this event (assuming my cable company has it on PPV
plain.gif
).

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Babalu is a true badass but sometimes he gets a brain fart and I want to jump in the TV and hit him with a bat.

I am willing to bet jeans that Fedor runs through or Beats sylvia..Cough *m@t* cough.

Any ones else????

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am willing to make the same bet, only Mauro will give me jeans whether I win or lose.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know who I want to see lose more, Tim Sylvia or Fedor. Tim reminds me of the fat kid in high school who was slow and stupid, but used to sit on the smaller kids and take their lunch money. Fedor I think is just so overrated that it would be nice to see him lose. On balance, I'd rather see Tim lose and I think that's what's going to happen.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Fedor I think is just so overrated that it would be nice to see him lose.

By what definition of the word is Fedor overrated! Woudn't that imply that there's ever been a better fighter in MMA?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
by the fact that he has fought noone of note in a very long time and yet still is rated number 1. As MMA folks say way too often, if you wanna be the best you gotta beat the best, and it has been a very long time since he beat anyone who is regarded as anywhere near the best.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
By what definition of the word is Fedor overrated! Woudn't that imply that there's ever been a better fighter in MMA?

Originally Posted by m@T
by the fact that he has fought noone of note in a very long time and yet still is rated number 1. As MMA folks say way too often, if you wanna be the best you gotta beat the best, and it has been a very long time since he beat anyone who is regarded as anywhere near the best.

Exactly what he said.

BYucko

Reaction score
To be the best, you do have to beat the best. The fact of the matter is, no one's ever beaten Fedor (the best).

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ok, so by that logic, if Matt Hughes had stopped fighting three years ago, when he was damn-near-unbeatable, GSP would not be the best welterweight in the world right now?

I am not a Fedor hater, he may well still be the best heavyweight out there, just no one knows...in the past three years, all he has done is beaten a nine-foot-Korean-freakshow, a decent journeyman MIDDLEweight, and two Marks who should have retired years before....in.three.years.

If he beats Sylvia, then I'll change my tune.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
side note - I am not sure who I consider the best heavyweight in the world right now. Fedor - I dunno, ask me in a month. I am on record above tipping Sylvia to win it though. And since I am basically always right in these things, it is pretty much a fait accompli
smile.gif
Maaaybe I would lean toward Tim Sylvia (as much as I hate to admit it) as the top HW in the world right now. He looked great clubbing Minotauro, only to lose in true Big Nog fashion (ie. Nog battered, bruised and with just enough in the tank to launch an armbar). But Tim had his aggression back, and would have been ahead on basically any scorecard if not for leaving that arm hanging...still, beaten fair and square, no doubt. Minotauro is lined up against Mir in an interesting jits battle. I dont think that either will be proclaimed the best in the world after that fight though. Randy's career may well be done, and I would never count the guy out, but jeez, on tiptoes, he can see fifty....he may spend more time fighting in court than in a cage though. Sad way for it to end, but the last few interviews I have seen, he seems to be increasingly stressing the fact that 'if it's all over, I am at peace with that'. I cant help but wonder if he should just enter the Octagon one more time, throw in the towel one second into the first round, and donate his fight purse to charity....at least then he would get it over with....then run off to Mark Cuban to fight Fedor before calling it a day. Then what? A very scattered group of heavyweights that it will be really hard to line up against each other, since they are a bit all-over-the-place in terms of divisions, with a huge exodus of the big boys away from the UFC. It's really hard to call right now.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, UFC just did a major cockblock on Affliction Banned by scheduling a free special UFC event at the same time the Affliction card to be headlined by Vera v. Wandy at 205. I guess I'll have to order the Affliction PPV and Tivo the UFC event.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=13271

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads