• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Greenfield Fitting - Pics Inside

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went back to Martin Greenfield earlier today for my fitting. Unfortunately, Martin Greenfield was at a funeral so I was fitted by the same tailor as last time: Dominic. The suit fit me very well right when I tried it on but in order to make it perfect they are taking in the seat and waist on the pants and tightening the jacket a bit and shortening one of the sleeves. I'm happy that he is a perfectionist. I let him choose the button stance since I've messed up MTM work before with crappy demands that stem from my lack of knowledge. I just told him "modern but not too high." I mentioned that the pants pockets felt a bit far back but he explained that they do this since it prevents the pockets from "pinching out" as flant front pants are wont. On my way out I met Todd Greenfield. (I met with Jay last time.) He offered to take me into the production room and was sure to point out that the sewing machines (in the picture below) are the only ones in the whole factory and everything else is sewn by hand. He also told me that they actually do not generally accept orders from people off the street since it would upset their retail customers. As one can imagine, he is not happy about BB's Golden Fleece line from Italy.

Below is one picture of the suit. There are no pins other than the one where the button will be so it fits slightly looser than it will when I pick it up next Thursday. Also, the suit is not fully pressed yet. Dominic took the picture for me so it is a bit out of focus. Buttons and buttonholes are coming soon. The only thing I don't particularly care for is the lapel roll (or lack thereof). For all I know this will be fixed when I pick up the suit. I am very pleased with the size and shape of the lapels, though.

greenfield1.jpg

greenfield2.jpg

greenfield3.jpg

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks like a good start, cheer up a little bit. You look really angry.

kcc

Reaction score
Looks nice, good call on the shade of navy.

Consider opening the quarters, slightly, for the next one.

Sir James

Reaction score
I wonder how does the Golden Fleece line from Italy differ from those of Martin Greenfield? Was he abel to provide any commentary that would give insight to the difference in quality, level of craftmanship, fit and or styling?

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sir James
I wonder how does the Golden Fleece line from Italy differ from those of Martin Greenfield? Was he abel to provide any commentary that would give insight to the difference in quality, level of craftmanship, fit and or styling?

He said that someone at the top of the BB food chain is very into machine made suits that all look alike. I'm almost positive he was referring to the Italian Golden Fleece but he was not specific at all.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
I agree about the lack of lapel roll, but in general, that looks really really good. Worlds better than many MTM pieces one sees on here.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
He said that someone at the top of the BB food chain is very into machine made suits that all look alike. I'm almost positive he was referring to the Italian Golden Fleece but he was not specific at all.

At one time the Italian Golden Fleece was made by Isaia who make much better clothing than Greenfield does for BB. The Greenfield Golden Fleece items I have are stiff and cut in a generic American style that makes Hickey Freeman look fashionable.

Maybe you mean Black Fleece though?

What is the Osborn Room about?

Your suit looks good.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
At one time the Italian Golden Fleece was made by Isaia who make much better clothing than Greenfield does for BB. The Greenfield Golden Fleece items I have are stiff and cut in a generic American style that makes Hickey Freeman look fashionable. Maybe you mean Black Fleece though? What is the Osborn Room about? Your suit looks good.
Thanks! BB currently sells a Golden Fleece version of the Madison (edit: Regent) that is made in Italy. They start at $1900. (Greenfield starts at $1600.) They could be made by Isaia but they don't have Isaia tags inside. The Osborn room is full of suits.
smile.gif
It is also their fitting room. I noticed a beautiful GF MTM suit with a ticket pocket and dual vents in a stunning blue-gray. Two more things I like about the suit are the hand pick stitching and that the pockets are all lined in the same red bemberg as the jacket. It's nothing anyone sees but it's a nice touch.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
Thanks!

BB currently sells a Golden Fleece version of the Madison that is made in Italy. They start at $1900. (Greenfield starts at $1600.) They could be made by Isaia but they don't have Isaia tags inside.

I have not seen these suits, but I will check the out on the next visit. The Isaia ones were made in the Marks and Spencer era for a season or two and are rare as hen's teeth. The few I have seen are the best made items BB has ever offered. They come up on eBay every once and a while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads