• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oatmeal....confused about its food group.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're eating oatmeal to reduce cholesterol you aren't trying hard enough. You have to eat an ungodly amount for the fiber in oatmeal to matter, which makes you fatter, which raises triglycerides and cholesterol.

Go for a run and skip breakfast.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by repressedm
Steel cut oats are great. What exactly do you mean by "natural" peanut butter? Can you link to an example?

Most of the popular brands like Jif and Skippy have added ingredients like high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, maltodextrin, etc. Natural peanut butter is actually made from peanuts and sometimes a little salt.

You have to stir it up when you open it because the oils separate and you get a pool on top, but other than that it tastes much better than the brands you had as a kid.

My mother-in-law just uses peanuts in a food processor. I don't think she adds anything else. When we don't have a jar from her, we buy Laura Scudder's All Natural Peanut Butter.

http://www.laurascudderspeanutbutter.com/products.aspx

Originally Posted by bbaquiran
Thanks repressed and Eason. I will try some steel-cut oats. Can you recommend a good-tasting brand?

McCann's has very good steel cut oats and a quick and easy version that only takes 5-minutes to cook.

http://www.mccanns.ie/

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Actually oatmeal is manna from heaven in many ways. One of the big benefits is the way it moves between food groups.

Add fruit: oatmeal becomes a serving of fruit
Add peanut butter: oatmeal becomes a serving of nuts
Add chocolate: you have dessert
Add meat: you need help.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
If you're eating oatmeal to reduce cholesterol you aren't trying hard enough. You have to eat an ungodly amount for the fiber in oatmeal to matter, which makes you fatter, which raises triglycerides and cholesterol.

For me, I just love it - I always have. I don't eat it as part of a cholesterol reducing diet.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas

I have added tuna and peanut butter into oatmeal before. The result was surprisingly satisfying.

Oatmeals don't magically "moves between food group though".
eh.gif

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
That'd be called haggis. (Actually, it works well in place of breadcrumbs in many recipes like meatloaf tat require a starch).

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
I have added tuna and peanut butter into oatmeal before. The result was surprisingly satisfying.

eh.gif

Tuna in oatmeal? Not for me.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Tuna in oatmeal? Not for me.

I know. That was when I lived in a college dormitory, and often got hunry late night when the cafeteria had already closed. Thus interesting (and some might consider disgusting) combination emerged.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked

eh.gif

Because of your first statement, I reserve the right to ignore your second statement. So there.
teacha.gif

Originally Posted by why
That'd be called haggis.

(Actually, it works well in place of breadcrumbs in many recipes like meatloaf tat require a starch).

...I've heard of Haggis, and read where Anthony Bourdain speaks highly of it. I also understand it goes really well with scotch, provided you consume the scotch first in copious quantities.

And I'm totally taking notes on the binding qualities of oatmeal. How that never occurred to me before I have no clue. I've certainly had to scrape out a saucepan or twenty.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correct answer: depends on how, when, and why you eat it.

Dumb one: I guess.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

I think you're missing the point. You don't eat oatmeal because of the over-advertised "cholesterol-reducing" thing. You eat it because it's a decent, filling meal that isn't loaded with cholesterol. And while I'm certainly pro-exercise, "not eating" isn't really a viable long-term health plan.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
Is Quaker Oatmeal's "regular" variety healthy?

Yes. The easy way to tell, as someone else said, is read the ingredient list. It should be: oats.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
McCann's has very good steel cut oats and a quick and easy version that only takes 5-minutes to cook.

http://www.mccanns.ie/

Thanks! I think our supermarket has this. I'll try it tomorrow.

I usually get the 2.5-minute Quaker's but today I tried the 1.5 minute Quaker's (hey, I saved a full minute!) and it didn't taste as good, probably because it was milled so finely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads