• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's, Tricker's & Greens...

jjl5000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
I got my "˜Shannon' some four years ago from eBay. An American seller offered three brand-new pairs in three different sizes (obviously some unsold stock). The seller had them at maybe $ 199.00 starting price and $ 250.00 BIN. When I saw, one pair was my size, I did hit without hesitation the BIN button, thinking:"If there is ten days of bidding, they'll only get more expensive"
tounge.gif
. Two other buyers thought the same way, and within a couple of hours all three pairs were sold BIN.

$250! Amazing price BS. Clearly those were the days when Ebay delivered great bargains
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
love the slippers! how much were they? will you only wear these indoors?

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0

Originally Posted by novqilin
sir: the shannon is absolutely divine !

Thank you for the kind words.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tricker's are great, I must decide between those Belgrave and C&J Westbourne.
Sorry but I think the Shannon are a bit too much.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jjl5000
$250! Amazing price BS. Clearly those were the days when Ebay delivered great bargains
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I suppose, those were the days when this and other forums hadn't elevated EG shoes to a somewhat almost mystical level.
(With "˜yours truly' playing some part in it as well.)

Prior to finding the forums, what percentage of the members had ever heard of Edward Green shoes?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
I suppose, those were the days when this and other forums hadn't elevated EG shoes to a somewhat almost mystical level.
(With "˜yours truly' playing some part in it as well.)

Prior to finding the forums, what percentage of the members had ever heard of Edward Green shoes?

I got a pair of EGs202 for US market for USD250 six months ago and was wearing them today. After wearing them I understand why you guys give them the rap you do!

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks TKD, I purchased them from Tricker's own ebay store. I believe they were made for Crocket, a German retailer:

DSC00755.jpg

Burgundy is not a colour normally available direct from Tricker's AFAIK.

Prince Charles wears Tricker's?!?! Tricker's has a Royal Warrant and EG has none. Injustice.
plain.gif
mad.gif
angry.gif

I wonder how much sale a Royal Warrant could boast in EG's case?

novqilin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Prince Charles wears Tricker's?!?! Tricker's has a Royal Warrant and EG has none. Injustice.
plain.gif
mad.gif
angry.gif

I wonder how much sale a Royal Warrant could boast in EG's case?

Eg doesn't have any ??

I thought John Lobb has all three..

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prince Charles wears Tricker's?!?! ...
Why not? Tricker's country boots are very well known and the prince is probably using those.

literasyme

Reaction score
That's right -- Trickers make the royal boots.

I looked at those brogues in the Crocket store in Cologne on holiday last week. They're nice, and the last is surprisingly sleek (channelled sole as well, right?), but I find the perforations a bit too, well, uncouth -- the holes are pretty large, the edges kind of ostentatiously jagged. It's a matter of taste, obviously, but in terms of decorations, I prefer C&J's more subtle approach (at a similar retail price point).

novqilin

Reaction score
I wonder how would one brand qualify for a royal warrant ?

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe they were made for Crocket, a German retailer

Burgundy is not a colour normally available direct from Tricker's AFAIK.

Burgundy is not normally available. Neither is Antique Cognac, the other really nice color for these. I will just reiterate what I ranted about last year, that shoe manufacturers don't seem interested in promoting (and making accessible) the shoes that are often the most desirable. The Belgrave may well be Tricker's' nicest shoe, in my opinion, yet you can't find a picture of it anywhere on the Tricker's web site. The two nicest colors for the Belgrave, in my opinion, are Burgundy and Antique Cognac, yet for both of these you generally have to order them from a store in Germany, because Tricker's doesn't sell those colors online. With Cheaney, the Raleigh adelaide, one of their nicest shoes, is notably missing from their website (although it is now available at Herring). With C&J, the Albany, one of their nicest shoes, is not shown on their website or catalogue and is only available for $700 from Ben Silver in South Carolina. The C&J Gerard specatator is also extremely hard to find.

I understand the point of making some versions only for particular stores, but it just seems shortsighted to me.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eg doesn't have any ??

Correct. EG has none.

I thought John Lobb has all three..

John Lobb St. James had three, now it's down to two. Queen yanked hers recently. John Lobb Paris doesn't have any.

I wonder how would one brand qualify for a royal warrant ?

Royal warrants are granted by the three members of Royal family at their discretion to any firms who have been Royal purveyors for number of years.

Some surprise Royal warrant holders: Ford, Heinz, Cadbury. Bengal has more knowledges in this area.

novqilin

Reaction score
Correct. EG has none.

John Lobb St. James had three, now it's down to two. Queen yanked hers recently. John Lobb Paris doesn't have any.

Royal warrants are granted by the three members of Royal family at their discretion to any firms who have been Royal purveyors for number of years.

Some surprise Royal warrant holders: Ford, Heinz, Cadbury. Bengal has more knowledges in this area.

thanks for the info
laugh.gif

I guess the whole royal warrant thing is nothing more than a clever way of marketing british goods

whatever firm it is , on hearing that it has a royal warrant, we would assume it has certain quality and with more researching we would certainly find some holders would offer the highest quality in the world

in terms of (over?)hype, I think now edward green doesn't need a royal warrant to be one of the most famous name in the clothing and shoes industry, partly thanks to you sir, and some folks over ask andy

but for john lobb, i do wonder if it will be kind of a humiliating experience to be taken down as a Queen's supplier ? I hear that unless the title of Queen or Duke goes to someone else, it's usually not common to change the warrant ... I could certainly be wrong though

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads