• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to trim down fat thigh?

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So here's the situation. Starting mid March I've been going on a diet plan to cut my weight from 245 to 175. I am 6' tall btw. My weight is between 205-210 at the moment and I notice some great results in my mid section. The old protruding belly has now not very visible.

But my problem now is that my diet plan has a lot less impact on my thighs/buttock compare to my waist. So I am wondering if there's any better way to shape up ******/thighs in addition to the weight loss plan. Anyone?

p.s., is there any specific work out plans that I should adopt? My goal is to be lean and cut, not muscular/atheletic.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think the general consensus is that there is no such thing as spot reduction

i think the manliest workout for losing weight is to run your heart out while eating as little as possible

do not get some specialized boutique workout where you are doing 20 reps of a bunch of exotic exercises involving obscure gym contraptions

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right, I get the exercise part and I am executing my plan.

But I am just wondering if there's anything like a spot reduction. I mean, you could do reps for certain muscles only right? So maybe how should I avoid gaining muscles on my legs?
confused.gif

m_wave

Reaction score
no such thing as spot reduction but if you are concerned about gaining muscle mass then just do higher reps and lower weight on the area..

like perhaps 12-15 reps at 60% maximum..

Someone else can probably tell you with more precision.. but you get the idea!

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
its unusual for men to store fat in their thighs, right? I remember reading somewhere that women store it there, men more commonly around the gut (me = guilty). Still, everyone's different with that I'm sure.

Anyhow, I am no expert, but AKAIK the only thing you can do is keep up the cardio to beat the fat off from all over your body (and evidently with you, thighs are the last to go), and maybe do some toning work on the stems so that when the fat comes away, there is a well define muscle waiting to poke through.

Good luck.

dimshum

Reaction score
As everyone has pointed out already, there's no way for you to spot reduce. We're all predispositioned genetically as to how the fat in our bodies are stored. The only way to trim down your thigh fat is to reduce your overall body fat by weightlifting and/or doing cardio.

Once you start working out you may notice or think that your thighs are getting bigger, and that may be the case. However, rest assured that it's all just muscle peeking from under the fat. Eventually it'll start balancing out in favor of the muscle should you consistently exercise.

As mentioned a couple of times in the other threads, a great way to reduce overall bodyfat is to include high-intensity-interval training in your exercise. If you can, find some hills around your area and do some uphill sprinting in intervals. Finish a hill, rest then rinse and repeat. After consistently doing 20-minute HIIT sessions at least three times a week, you'll be well on your way to a trimmer body and a stronger lower body.

Good luck!

eidolon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
trying doing high repetition leg presses
This will do nothing other than waste stamina and time. If he wanted to reduce muscle mass (which I doubt he has much of, and I don't mean that as an insult) that wouldn't atrophy the legs (long distance running would reduce extraneous muscle mass), and spot reduction doesn't exist so it won't do anything for fat loss. High-rep work is normally for endurance and raising the anaerobic threshold, and leg presses are worse for that kind of work than squats would be.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the words for you, "Stair Master", that is all...

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eidolon
This will do nothing other than waste stamina and time. If he wanted to reduce muscle mass (which I doubt he has much of, and I don't mean that as an insult) that wouldn't atrophy the legs (long distance running would reduce extraneous muscle mass), and spot reduction doesn't exist so it won't do anything for fat loss. High-rep work is normally for endurance and raising the anaerobic threshold, and leg presses are worse for that kind of work than squats would be.

actually if the op has extra ***** tissue on his thigh, any exercise started will first start converging his thighs to relatively less fat and a slight gain in muscle. even a beginner runner who starts out running will gain a slight muscle gain because of the nonexistence of trained muscle in the thigh prior.
so a high rep leg press will do that conversion at first for him. which however amount his fat content is for the thigh, will trim it down initially.

if a more intermediate or advanced trainee wants a further size down of the thigh, yes, high rep leg press or any leg press will not be the most beneficial method of sizing down the thigh.

eidolon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
actually if the op has extra ***** tissue on his thigh, any exercise started will first start converging his thighs to relatively less fat and a slight gain in muscle. even a beginner runner who starts out running will gain a slight muscle gain because of the nonexistence of trained muscle in the thigh prior. so a high rep leg press will do that conversion at first for him. which however amount his fat content is for the thigh, will trim it down initially. if a more intermediate or advanced trainee wants a further size down of the thigh, yes, high rep leg press or any leg press will not be the most beneficial method of sizing down the thigh.
He's exercising, presumably doing weight training, so that "convergence" would have mostly likely begun by now. If he's relatively new to weight training and not built very wide then it's likely he's still pretty heavy (210 at 6' might be considered normal in some circles, but it's really fairly overweight if it's not on someone with appreciable muscle mass), and he's better off focusing on the best bang for the buck exercises--and the leg press is not one of those exercises. Also, I don't know where you're getting this from, but any exercise does not just start targeting areas where extra ***** tissue exists. Spot reduction does not exist, spot gain exists. An exercise is going to trigger growth in whatever muscle it targets, in the synergists and often in the antagonist stabilizers.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I guess I have blessed genetics, but I don't think he has to do much for his legs other than high-resistance cardio (ie. stair master, crosstrainer, high-inclined treadmill). I have 19" calves and little to no fat on any part of my legs or lower-body, I don't even do any leg lifting exercises at all...

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't do anything about it, really. When you get down to 7% body fat and still have flabby thighs, then post here.

Until then, just lower your body fat.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
You can't do anything about it, really. When you get down to 7% body fat and still have flabby thighs, then post here.

Until then, just lower your body fat.

This is the correct answer.

What you're doing seems to be working well for you, just continue with that and your ass/thighs should work themselves out eventually.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
This is the correct answer.

What you're doing seems to be working well for you, just continue with that and your ass/thighs should work themselves out eventually.

qtf, it's gonna take time, so just keep doing what you are doing and you will reap the full benefits later on...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads