• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Down South, of course.
laugh.gif

Had Jack Stack today (again, I've eaten there a couple of times already). The meat is very good, but the KC sauce isn't my favorite. Too ketchupy.

Kansas side, or MO side? There is some decent thrifting... a lot of stores, most of the good ones are spread pretty far apart though. Not a lot of high end stuff either, a lot of tradly wear though... KC being such a conservative city - you can find some really neat vintage stuff. Not a lot of competition either.

As for BBQ... 2 of my favorites:
Oklahoma Joe's
BB's Lawnside BBQ
Def. check them out if you get a chance.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been very lazy on this front for a while but I picked up a few cool things the last couple of days.

Barbera unstructured jacket
Barbera suit that will probably fit me
2 Coogi Cosby sweaters to flip on ebay
Nice trench coat with liner for $10ish
APC military/safari style lightweight wool/mohair short sleeve jacket
Paul Smith leather Converse style sneakers

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody know of any good "hunting grounds" in the Cleveland, OH area? I've tried a few of the thrift stores and been pretty disappointed with the results. The Filenes' here is absolutely atrocious.

Georgia

Reaction score
Found a pair of Florsheim Royal Imperial shell cordovan tassel loafers that had been recently re-soled. Very happy.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Georgia
Found a pair of Florsheim Royal Imperial shell cordovan tassel loafers that had been recently re-soled. Very happy.

Can you show pix when you have the chance. They are rare.

mprice

Reaction score
I was looking in a thrift store for a sport coat for summer the other day when I stumbled across a beautiful pale-yellow blazer for $8 that fit me perfectly. It is in excellent condition (just a couple of small stains near the ends of the sleeves, which I'm hoping the dry cleaner can remove). The buttons appear to be brushed stainless steel with a very elaborately etched monogram. The label inside says "Oxxford Clothing" with a crest below it. In addition to the Oxxford label inside, there is another tag in the inner pocket that had a previous owner's full name and date (sometime in 1983).

I don't know a lot about Oxxford (other than I believe it's rather expensive). A couple of questions:
1) should I get the buttons replaced? They are quite beautiful and the monogram is in a very stylized script and very subtle (you can't tell it's a monogram until you look at it closely)
2) what color shirt goes well with a pale-yellow blazer?

Georgia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Georgia

Originally Posted by The Deacon
Can you show pix when you have the chance. They are rare.

Here are the pictures. Disclaimer - I haven't done anything to them yet - no cleaning/brushing/etc. I stuck the she trees in them and will get the ready to wear in the next couple of days:

img2437gb4.jpg

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
^^ Those are really nice shoes. Great find.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mprice
I was looking in a thrift store for a sport coat for summer the other day when I stumbled across a beautiful pale-yellow blazer for $8 that fit me perfectly. It is in excellent condition (just a couple of small stains near the ends of the sleeves, which I'm hoping the dry cleaner can remove). The buttons appear to be brushed stainless steel with a very elaborately etched monogram. The label inside says "Oxxford Clothing" with a crest below it. In addition to the Oxxford label inside, there is another tag in the inner pocket that had a previous owner's full name and date (sometime in 1983).

I don't know a lot about Oxxford (other than I believe it's rather expensive). A couple of questions:
1) should I get the buttons replaced? They are quite beautiful and the monogram is in a very stylized script and very subtle (you can't tell it's a monogram until you look at it closely)
2) what color shirt goes well with a pale-yellow blazer?

Congrats. Oxxford produces the best American made RTW garment. Today that would probably retail for ~$2500 or so. Please post a pic.

The pale yellow sounds like a great summer blazer. I would go pastels: blue and pink. Maybe with a white shirt and Nantucket reds. To tone it down try the usual gray and tan (although be careful of the shade).

It's probably not a high priority to replace the buttons if they are stylized enough that no one could make them out anyway (often the case).

kalice

Reaction score
Noobie posting.
shog[1].gif
Please be kind. i found these at the local goodwill. Bought them initially for my dad, but turned out that they're size 10, and he's... well... size 7.5. Pity.

Ferragamo Pregiato
They look like they've been worn a dozen times or so. looks nice and sleek, even for a studio level shoe (which I know gets a lot of heat on this forum).
987016.JPG

Ferragamo Diego
If I didn't know any better. This was tried on, and that was it.
987026.JPG

I don't know what to do with them. I'm not a big fan of selling things on ebay. Would it be good karma to give them to a neighbor or a friend? Or should I sell them on SF here and let someone else enjoy them.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A trip to two Salvation Armys and a Savers this morning got me these two goodies.

Barbour green wool Loden jacket. Looks to be pretty recent. Never owned/seen anything from Barbour other than a B/D shirt and the quality of this jacket it very impressive. $19.99

Black wool flat-front trousers from RLPL. $2.95

Overall not a bad day. Pics to follow.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kalice
Noobie posting.
shog[1].gif
Please be kind. i found these at the local goodwill. Bought them initially for my dad, but turned out that they're size 10, and he's... well... size 7.5. Pity.

Ferragamo Pregiato
They look like they've been worn a dozen times or so. looks nice and sleek, even for a studio level shoe (which I know gets a lot of heat on this forum).
987016.JPG

Ferragamo Diego
If I didn't know any better. This was tried on, and that was it.
987026.JPG

I don't know what to do with them. I'm not a big fan of selling things on ebay. Would it be good karma to give them to a neighbor or a friend? Or should I sell them on SF here and let someone else enjoy them.

I'll take the first pair if you're looking to sell them.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics of today's finds. The flash makes the coat look terrible, but it's truely a beautiful shade of green in person.
P1000148.jpg
P1000150.jpg
Any ideas on what to use to remove the permanent ink of the name tag? Amodex maybe?
P1000152.jpg
P1000153.jpg
I was amazed at how slim the RLPL trousers are. Slimmer than my Incotex ones. Need to get them re-hemmed, otherwise a perfect fit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads