• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skinny ties: how skinny is too skinny?

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'm in the midst of ordering some new ties and need to stipulate a width. Currently, almost all my ties are 3.5 inches across. My lapels are a touch under 3.75 inches wide. I'm tempted to try a 3-inch width, but I'm afraid it will look too narrow. I also realize that skinny ties are trendy right now, and want to avoid picking something will look out of place in a couple of years. What width do you think I should go with? How do you go about choosing the width for your own ties?
Mafoofan, I tend to take a practical approach to the question of tie widths. First, most of your ties are 3.5 inches. I assume (perhaps wrongly) that you do not have 3.25 or narrower ties or you would have your answer already. You should order one tie only in a 3.25 inch width and see how you like it. Again as a practical matter I would not be concerned at all with fashion. Another thought is your shirt collar, if you tend to wear wide collars you might want to ask your tie-maker to keep the "knot" area of the tie a bit wide even if you go with a narrower width at the widest.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
I think the actual measured width is overrated. If a tie is coming across as loud, or somehow extra central, then I think it plays wider than it is. For example, block stripe ties, or a solid black tie with a white shirt and a tan suit. What's important is the perception. The perception is the reality. If a tie is 3" wide but plays extra loud or heavy in the outfit, it's going to look and feel wider than a quiet tie that's 3.25" or 3.5" wide. That's been my experience at least.

So the lapel width : tie width thing is just a guideline, not some kind of ironclad law, that I think anyone could flout thoughtfully and well -- especially if the ties and lapels in question are not radically skinny or wide.

I agree. The practical approach does not appeal to me. I take the approach that if something appeals to me, then it is correct. I love the look of a small knot in a good sized collar, so that is what I do. The lapel issue is the same. If it looks good, then it is good. There is no further determination necessary.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Everyone, thanks for the comments and insight. I agree that my existing Marinella ties (the ones I recently sold on the B&S forum) could stand to be a tad narrower. I mulled over everything for a while and finally settled on an 8 cm width for my new Rubinacci ties (about 3.1 inches). I was afraid of going much narrower than that for fear of getting stuck with what are notably 'skinny' ties.

I just put in my new order. Hopefully, I'll have my ties within a month or so!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm torn between wishing you success or wishing you failure.

Are you doing any unlined, untipped seven folds with Rubinacci?

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I'm torn between wishing you success or wishing you failure.

Are you doing any unlined, untipped seven folds with Rubinacci?

- B

Haha. Is 8 cm too narrow for you, Bill?

I'm only doing unlined, untipped seven-folds from Rubinacci
smile.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Haha. Is 8 cm too narrow for you, Bill?

Not at all...I get three-folds that I like (e.g., Charvet) narrowed to 8 cm if they are not so already. I have a batch of lined six-fold grenadines in the mail now from David Hober that are 3.25."

I do have quite a few Italian six-folds that are 3.75"...since my closet is diverse, they remain handy.

I'm only doing unlined, untipped seven-folds from Rubinacci
smile.gif

Wonderful...can't wait to see photographs of them. My next batch of stuff from David Hober will be just like that.

- B

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
bwindow.jpg

Doc, beautiful.
inlove.gif

MFan, the ties I have that are on the skinnier side (3.25-3.5") are very thick, so they don't seem all that skinny because of the thick knot they make & how they hang. I would take into account the overall girth of the tie in conjunction with the width when opting for slimmer width (if that makes any sense).

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ I cannot imagine anything worse than a skinny, beefy tie.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone, thanks for the comments and insight. I agree that my existing Marinella ties (the ones I recently sold on the B&S forum) could stand to be a tad narrower. I mulled over everything for a while and finally settled on an 8 cm width for my new Rubinacci ties (about 3.1 inches). I was afraid of going much narrower than that for fear of getting stuck with what are notably 'skinny' ties.

I just put in my new order. Hopefully, I'll have my ties within a month or so!

The tie width shown in your SC shot looks fine- as I said above it goes with the wider lapels.

Originally Posted by iammatt
I agree. The practical approach does not appeal to me. I take the approach that if something appeals to me, then it is correct. I love the look of a small knot in a good sized collar, so that is what I do. The lapel issue is the same. If it looks good, then it is good. There is no further determination necessary.

The way to go if you have a good aesthetic sense. Often, folks know "something" is wrong but can't put their finger on it. Even otherwise good dressers. I like guidelines- that way I know what to ignore.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by iammatt
^^^ I cannot imagine anything worse than a skinny, beefy tie.

+1. Winds up looking like a bolo.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
For a regular pointy end tie, 3 1/4" is as narrow as I will go, and even then repps only. For a knit, I will go below 3". Wide knits look stoopid.

Reaction score
The classic 3.25in width is safe and will never go out of fashion.

but then again who cares about what is presently fashionable? Classic style will not change.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorial in Seattle
The classic 3.25in width is safe and will never go out of fashion.

but then again who cares about what is presently fashionable? Classic style will not change.

Originally Posted by tlmusic
You could also consider Alan Flusser's advice on neckwear,

"Widths between 3 1/4 inches and 4 1/4 inches will generally ensure longevity."
Dressing the Man (2002), Alan Flusser, pg. 165.

But wait! Back in the 1980's
devil.gif
he was writing,

"The proper width of a tie, and one that will never be out of style, is 3 1/4 inches (2 3/4 to 3 1/2 inches are also acceptable."
Clothes and the Man (1985), Alan Flusser, pg. 85

Originally Posted by LabelKing
My skinny ties are all 1.75 inches. They are the real '60s deal, made by respected makers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads