• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
Yes. The first one I posted really speaks to me and I hope to have it hanging in my closet by Fall. This is the one I've already had made. I find I'm comfortable in it up to about 20 degrees Celsius (68 Fahrenheit).

Shetland800342.jpg

Lovely cloth MC!

yachtie - I'm not familiar with Harrison's Moonbeam - any pics?

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
I have the jacket in front of me and it's hard to tell. The main part of the check is brown, and as far as I can tell, the thin outline is dark blue, or possibly black. Overall, it's pretty mottled.

Regardless of the specific colour, I like the organic feel of it....

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Lovely cloth MC!

yachtie - I'm not familiar with Harrison's Moonbeam - any pics?

Sorry, Saw it at Chris's Saturday. Didn't bring a camera. IIRC, they're all 10/11 oz 80% lambswool/20% angora
inlove.gif
: soft handed and a little fuzzy but good gutsy cloths. (jacketing- too soft for trousers)

Vox-Unless it's Harris, it needn't be handwoven to be a tweed.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Sorry, Saw it at Chris's Saturday. Didn't bring a camera. IIRC, they're all 10/11 oz 80% lambswool/20% angora
inlove.gif
: soft handed and a little fuzzy but good gutsy cloths. (jacketing- too soft for trousers)

So, what did you order?
smile.gif

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
inlove.gif

If you get a chance, do post pics!!!

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
So, what did you order?
smile.gif

Wool/silk/linen SBSC for later in the summer.Also finishing up a suit in H&S Dragonfly.
I'll get the Harrison's for the fall-I'd roast in it now.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wool/silk/linen SBSC for later in the summer.Also finishing up a suit in H&S Dragonfly.
I'll get the Harrison's for the fall-I'd roast in it now.

Very nice!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

Rationally and generally, yes.

For you, when does it stop becoming tweed and starting becoming faux tweed, then?

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I am going to take the position that if it is not handspun, or at least handwoven, it's not a tweed but something made up to look like tweed.

For you, when does it stop becoming tweed and starting becoming faux tweed, then?

Tweed is cloth made of rough woolen yarns frmo Cheviot sheep. I think there is no other simple definition.

M. Alden

Reaction score
The LL tweeds, including the Alden gunclub, are tweeds and not worsteds made to look like tweeds. I suspect the confusion stems from the association of tweed with the hairy, woolly, loosely woven variants from Harris or Shetland. The other style of tweed, known as "border" or "sporting" is equally tweed, a woolen spun Cheviot with a high twist finish that gives it a less hairy look. Examples of these "estate" tweeds can be seen in many border weavers' works and in the once available tweeds from Hunters of Brora.

Worsteds made to look like tweeds do exist. One of the well known examples is the excellent Glorious Twelfth book from Harrisons. This is a merino wool worsted spun cloth ie one in which the short staple length fibers have been combed out to give a flat and lustrous sheen.

Sporting tweeds are normally machine woven and this picture from the londonlounge site attests to the fact.

http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/...hlight=gunclub

Such machines are required to produce the twist sought for by gentlemen that require a solid, long wearing product. Harris tweed cloth is also made on machines but machines operated manually and are they are consequently more loosely woven. These tweeds make up in charm what they lack in staying power.

An experienced bespoke customer is normally alert to the use of the word "handmade" and realizes that this appellation can have value if applied to such acts as stitching, sewing, pressing, or carving, engraving, sculpting etc. Using one's hands to run a sewing machine or a manual loom is another thing entirely.

There are some good Shetland products on the market and the ones from Scabal pictured in this thread deserve particular merit. I too have had my eyes on the gunclub but for the time being I am expecting delivery on a brown herringbone from this book. At the clothclub, we have issued our first Shetland cloth and I had a chance to fit it this week.

http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/...pic.php?t=7902

I think our members will be very pleased.

M Alden

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Tweed is cloth made of rough woolen yarns frmo Cheviot sheep. I think there is no other simple definition.

Originally Posted by M. Alden
The LL tweeds, including the Alden gunclub, are tweeds and not worsteds made to look like tweeds.

Worsteds made to look like tweeds do exist. One of the well known examples is the excellent Glorious Twelfth book from Harrisons. This is a merino wool worsted spun cloth ie one in which the short staple length fibers have been combed out to give a flat and lustrous sheen.

M&M: thank you.

- B

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

- B

Probably when the yarn size drops to the point where it really starts to feel like worsted suiting. The hand/feel of those is different.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Pricing

It's not gentlemanly to discuss pricing, is it?

So let's do it.

The three expats price their two piece suits currently as follows:

DeBoise: £1800

Mahon: £2000

Hitchcock: £1895

- B

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pricing

It's not gentlemanly to discuss pricing, is it?

So let's do it.

The three expats price their two piece suits currently as follows:

DeBoise: £1800

Mahon: £2000

Hitchcock: £1895

- B

Hi Vox-

That's before VAT, correct?

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A&S, and their expats, pride themselves on going straight to a forward fitting. This might be self serving, but it does place a premium on brilliance.

Are they brilliant? Or are they taking shortcuts? Hard to say...one can only judge from the results.

But here is one thing in their favor: in the case of all three A&S expats, the guy who talks with you, the guy who measures you, will also be the guy who cuts your cloth and then fits you later on. This is a pretty efficient committee, and can...if the conditions are right...result in straighforward and clear collaboration between maker and client to achieve the objectives on which both agree. That is, in the ideal case.

Photographs of my most recent set of fittings. One is completely at forward, the other is partially at baste and forward.

279605779_ecHmn-O.jpg
279605814_6wBLm-O.jpg

279605849_PLAvn-O.jpg
279605873_LgCGS-O.jpg

I, in fact, just received the finished garments today.

- B

Looking forward to seeing the finished garments!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads