• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
Vox-

I love the look of those soft shoulders by the way... Just had a quick question about the fabric of your tweed suit. What weight is it and which textile company? I know you may have mentioned this before but I seem to have missed it...

Thank you, A. The fabric for the tweed suit is from the LBD/Harrisons from the Porter & Harding Glorious Twelfth book.

- B

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Thank you, A. The fabric for the tweed suit is from the LBD/Harrisons from the Porter & Harding Glorious Twelfth book.

- B

Thanks for the tip! Thinking of having a tweed jacket made up, and have been keenly observing the various fabrics other members have used for their tweed coats....

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! Thinking of having a tweed jacket made up, and have been keenly observing the various fabrics other members have used for their tweed coats....

You're welcome. It can be argued pursuasively that the tweeds in the 330 gram book begin to lose some of the inherant goodness of heavier, well, tweedier, tweeds. But, the fabrics in this book make up well, if my sample is any indication, and can be worn further into warmer weather.

I think that the P&H Glenroyal book, which is 430 grams, is actually more popular for odd jackets. One of the jackets whnay posts in his Rubinacci thread is a Glenroyal, and I think mafoofan is having a Glenroyal made up. You should look at that book, too...I have three Glenroyal swatches sitting in my desk at work, and one of them is bound to be made up as we get into the fall.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

- B

Do you really consider that tweed? I have always thought of it more as worsted designed to look like tweed, but wear much lighter, rather like Worsted Allsport (which I think this book was designed to compete against).

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Do you really consider that tweed? I have always thought of it more as worsted designed to look like tweed, but wear much lighter, rather like Worsted Allsport (which I think this book was designed to compete against).

Yeah, you're right. But saying "tweed" is shorter thant saying "worsted designed to look like tweed," even if the former is a stretch and the latter more clinically accurate.

That LL gun club is not going to give me any tweed street cred, either, because despite the weight, it's not a tweed. I'll make up for my sins at some point.

Definitely with Glenroyal. Maybe with Breanish.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
That LL gun club is not going to give me any tweed street cred, either, because despite the weight, it's not a tweed.

It's not?

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're welcome. It can be argued pursuasively that the tweeds in the 330 gram book begin to lose some of the inherant goodness of heavier, well, tweedier, tweeds. But, the fabrics in this book make up well, if my sample is any indication, and can be worn further into warmer weather.

I think that the P&H Glenroyal book, which is 430 grams, is actually more popular for odd jackets. One of the jackets whnay posts in his Rubinacci thread is a Glenroyal, and I think mafoofan is having a Glenroyal made up. You should look at that book, too...I have three Glenroyal swatches sitting in my desk at work, and one of them is bound to be made up as we get into the fall.

- B

I'll have to look at both books... I suspect that I may go for a lighter-weight material, such as the 330 g "worsted designed to look like tweed"
wink.gif
as I am more likely to wear the jacket indoors. I tend to be a little warm-blooded, and I would be a bit worried about overheating... I'm likely to throw on an overcoat if it gets cool...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
It's not?

I am going to take the position that if it is not handspun, or at least handwoven, it's not a tweed but something made up to look like tweed.

peepwall[1].gif

- B

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll have to look at both books... I suspect that I may go for a lighter-weight material, such as the 330 g "worsted designed to look like tweed"
wink.gif
as I am more likely to wear the jacket indoors. I tend to be a little warm-blooded, and I would be a bit worried about overheating... I'm likely to throw on an overcoat if it gets cool...

Have you looked at the Scabal Shetland book? It's full of fuzzy, authentically tweedy looking designs in 12 oz weight. I have one jacket made from the book, and am planning on at least one more.

Shetland800341.jpg

Shetland800345.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
W. Bill has (or at least, used to have) Donegals of that might be a tad less heavy than the fabrics in the Glenroyal book.

- B

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Shetlands are quite nice, MC.

- B

Yes. The first one I posted really speaks to me and I hope to have it hanging in my closet by Fall. This is the one I've already had made. I find I'm comfortable in it up to about 20 degrees Celsius (68 Fahrenheit).

Shetland800342.jpg

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Scabals are all very nice, too. The second and third ones really appeal to me, as I'm looking for something with slightly bolder checks with a more plain background. Is the overcheck blue and red in the fabric shown below, or more of an orange and blue? Just wondering since computer colour reproduction isn't always spot on...
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
Yes. The first one I posted really speaks to me and I hope to have it hanging in my closet by Fall. This is the one I've already had made. I find I'm comfortable in it up to about 20 degrees Celsius (68 Fahrenheit).
Shetland800342.jpg

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Scabals are all very nice, too. The second and third ones really appeal to me, as I'm looking for something with slightly bolder checks with a more plain background. Is the overcheck blue and red in the fabric shown below, or more of an orange and blue? Just wondering since computer colour reproduction isn't always spot on...

I have the jacket in front of me and it's hard to tell. The main part of the check is brown, and as far as I can tell, the thin outline is dark blue, or possibly black. Overall, it's pretty mottled.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you're right. But saying "tweed" is shorter thant saying "worsted designed to look like tweed," even if the former is a stretch and the latter more clinically accurate.

That LL gun club is not going to give me any tweed street cred, either, because despite the weight, it's not a tweed. I'll make up for my sins at some point.

Definitely with Glenroyal. Maybe with Breanish.
- B

Harrison's Mooooooooooooonbeam.
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

I've found the perfect cloth for my blue DB sportcoat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads