• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to politely discuss a FAULT in your S.O.?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those in relationships, how do you bring up a conversation about your mate's (somewhat physical) shortcomings? For example, they may have gained weight, lost some hygiene habits, etc.
confused.gif

I recently met a girl who is GREAT except that she's a little overweight. By a little, I mean more than "thick." Anyways, is there any polite, respectful way to ask her if she plans to do anything about it, how she views herself, etc? Call me shallow, but I'm actually looking for the fact that she is motivated, and recognizes it would be healthy to lose weight (or not, if that's how she feels).

She's actually slowly losing weight, so the other night I asked "Is that on purpose?" I didn't get much of a quality response, just that it was partially on purpose and partially not.

Thanks Guys!

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Yeah um good luck with the making her lose weight thing.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, the topic women are usually least secure about, very loaded topic. It may become something positive for you both, such as using as time to go to the gym togeather (even if you both are doing different activities).

However, I've never found a better method than a honest, and straight forward request. Then hope for the best... Time and wording are key.

If someone has a more foolproof method I'd be interested in hearing it.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
Those in relationships, how do you bring up a conversation about your mate's (somewhat physical) shortcomings? For example, they may have gained weight, lost some hygiene habits, etc.
confused.gif

I recently met a girl who is GREAT except that she's a little overweight. By a little, I mean more than "thick." Anyways, is there any polite, respectful way to ask her if she plans to do anything about it, how she views herself, etc? Call me shallow, but I'm actually looking for the fact that she is motivated, and recognizes it would be healthy to lose weight (or not, if that's how she feels).

She's actually slowly losing weight, so the other night I asked "Is that on purpose?" I didn't get much of a quality response, just that it was partially on purpose and partially not.

Thanks Guys!

You could make it a "couples" thing, like try training for a marathon together, trying to eat healthier foods together or something like that. That might help her lose some weight, but it's still not going to get at if she is motivated to do so.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
confused.gif

Unless she's the type of woman who is completely subjugated by you, it is an automatic fail conversation. It's why initial choice is so important in a long term relationship.

bkk

Reaction score

That's hilarious! I only laugh because I've made similar mistakes too often.

Do you go to the gym and eat healthy? Just lead by example and she is more likely to follow.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no polite way to broach the subject in any way that will be viewed as constructive. IMO, the only way to encourage her to become more healthy is to invite her along with you for active outings like hikes, the gym, etc. Hopefully, you'll find something you both enjoy. Unless she sees a need to adopt a healthy lifestyle, you can't enforce one. And even with regular exercise and healthy eating, her metabolism may not allow her to drop much weight.

If this is a deal-breaker for you, as it is for me, move on. She is who she is.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Unfortunately(?) I don't have to work out to stay thin. Maybe we'll start hiking or just walking at night.

Alchohol is probably the worst thing she consumes...especially margaritas, and other fruity mixed drinks that are loaded with calories. I think I may stop ordering said drinks when we go out to eat or party, and she if she notices.

Any other advice is much appreciated! Having seen her Mom, she's decently cute, though still overweight. Not sloppily, but she wouldn't be called thin...

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck. Hopefully you are both good at the art of communication and have a solid relationship or you're going to play with some serious fire.

Me and my lovely bride to be have discussed this very issue. Now mind you neither one of us are overweight at all. Since we are older it is more an issue of muscle tone more than anything else. When I brought this up it was along the lines of we both could use the exercise. That way there was no finger pointing. Instead it was a matter of pointing out something we could do together to better our general health and appearance.

Again good luck......

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here a suggestion for you:

You are shallow, you are fixated by weight, and despite the girl being "cute", the weight issue will always bother you.

There is nothing wrong with being shallow and superficial, as long as you realize it.

It's a completely futile effort to try to "suggest" that somebody lose weight. She is going to be chubby. Her mom's shape is a good reflection of her eventual weight.

Move on, find a cute and skinny one.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could always become a baller and buy her a personal trainer. Baller wives all need personal trainers like they need Louis Vuitton bags and Tiffany jewelry.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You RECENTLY met this girl, so she was already chubby when you started liking her, right? If it`s not like she was thin when you met, she could have been chubby most of her life (like the majority of girls).

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, and you're right that I like a thin girl. Now, at the same time, I know:

1) The skinny girl might not always be skinny.

2) It's summer here in SoCal, meaning all you see everyday is PERFECT bodies.

I have two options right now, I can get back with the Ex (great body, though naive as all get out and we have little in common) or stick with the chubby girl (We have a LOT in common, same taste and lifestyle, same everyday living habits, meaning it would be easy to live together, we laugh more, NO NEED FOR KIDS RIGHT NOW, etc....)

I'd love to have an option 3, the skinny girl who my abrasive personailty gets along with...but I"m not sure if they exist, or If I'm good enough to snag one ; )

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads