• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Rubinacci Thread.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The more I look at the examples of the Rubinacci DB suit, the more I like it...and I liked it a lot when I saw my first photograph of one.

- B

+1,000,000. I can't wait to see a vested Rubinacci suit (but with a low cut 1B, 2B or 3R2B SB jacket and a classic style SB vest, preferably 6X5B and preferably with a notch lapel, though 5B and 6B and/or w/o a lapel will do just fine).
thumbs-up.gif

FWIW, 3R2B is three buttons rolled to two buttons.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Whnay, I love the shoulders on the jacket. The sloping with a slight rope bump at the sleevehead looks really great. This is a bit different than Matt's shoulder style, but I like it.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

tdx005hv7.jpg

iammatt, I like pretty well everything about this jacket, especially the fabric. Is it a vintage cloth, or something from a book?

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here are some of my favorites from Matt:
tod033gq7.jpg
tod034ew9na7.jpg
tdx001hk0.jpg
td4002di3.jpg
tod001rs7.jpg
td5002ni0.jpg
tdx003tk2.jpg
tdx003yt5.jpg
tdx002me6kv2.jpg
tdx002ue7oe2.jpg
The man himself:
MarianoCollagePochette897.jpg
cimg1364ph2.jpg

riverrun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
FWIW, "front cut" (at least in SR lingo) does not refer to the front dart, it's just another term for side bodies. They typical A&S coat has one or two darts that end at the pocket. A front cut coat has a rear dart that goes from the scye to the hem, hence the coat has a sidebody or panel. The coat body will be made from six rather than four pieces.

I don't know if SR even has a term for a front dart that runs to the bottom, or even if any SR tailors ever do that. I don't recall ever seeing it.

Interesting to note, Manton. Anyway, my general comment stands: whnay's DB looks exceptional, and noting the differences from matt's (the front dart, the shoulders) just reinforces that the appeal of the LH suits posted here on SF isn't reducible to one particular detail or another.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't recall seeing Matt's tux before...it's perfect!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

mpickens8982

Reaction score
As a frequent lurker who mainly uses SF to find deals in B&S, I have only read that iammatt had a nice collection of Rubinacci bespoke clothing. That last post by whnay of pics from Matt's collection resoundingly proves it. I love the sportcoats especially. Two questions for you, iammatt, if you are kind enough to respond:

1) Are your cuffs 2" or are they bigger than that? I love them and have recently asked for 2" cuffs on several of my own things.

2) Why the longer rise? Was this your choice or Mariano's influence?---The only thing I think I would change is the pant rise on some of your outfits (I'm thinking particularly of one of the lighter gray suits from an earlier post in the thread). I love your jacket length, waist-supression, button-stance and the trimmer leg on your trousers. These all seem to harmonize well. The one dissonant element I notice is the longer rise on pants. It seems to shorten your lower body a bit.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mpickens8982
The one dissonant element I notice is the longer rise on pants. It seems to shorten your lower body a bit.

I thought a longer rise had the effect of lengthening the leg.

mpickens8982

Reaction score
To my eye, the longer the rise, the shorter the inseam (assuming you wear the pant at the same spot on the waist). I find a longer inseam visually lengthens the leg.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mpickens8982
To my eye, the longer the rise, the shorter the inseam (assuming you wear the pant at the same spot on the waist). I find a longer inseam visually lengthens the leg.

Now, I'm not sure what we're talking about. I thought the "rise" was the distance between the bottom of the crutch and the top of the trouser. Thus a longer rise is higher waisted. And I thought higher waisted trousers lengthened the leg. Sorry for the confusion.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I find so remarkable about whnay. and Matt's DB's are the elegance and grace of the lines. The fit seems perfect; shaped just enough to give form and definition to the body, but without any sense of tightness or constriction. Great stuff!

mpickens8982

Reaction score
Sorry for any confusion on my end. We are operating from the same understanding of what rise means. To be more clear, I am not taking exception to where the pant is sitting on his waist. However, I think if the pant is going to sit there (which seems appropriate), the rise would look better shorter. Also, after looking at all the pics again, I really only find it noticeable on the light grey suit I mentioned earlier. None of the other pants seem nearly so long in the rise as those.

TIEALIGN

Reaction score
Everything that has been posted is quite nice but the following are my personal favorites.
tdx003tk2.jpg
tdx003yt5.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads