• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All about Levi's

datasupa

Reaction score
We need the tasteless masses, so that we may be able to sit around and feel superior to them.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am buying the LVC 1947 501s. But I need the help. I tried on a washed version at the Levi's store today -- I believe it was the "exile" wash that you see here (http://www.levisstore.com/product/in...entPage=family) Also, I'll add that I take a 32W in all of my raw denims -- and I wear the Somet 003's, RB11's, a pair of RRL's, and I have an RRDS. My instinct is to get a 33 or 34W but I'm afraid I'll want the 34 waist and the 33 fit through the leg. And what's the best method to get all the shrink out of them? Wear them in hot water for an hour or so? And after that, will they stretch? And THEN, if they do stretch, and I wash them, will they shrink back to that original point? OK, so what I need is: measurements after a hot soak, and then 3-5 days or so of wear, of a 33x34 and 34x34 and then I can figure out what I need.

calbee

Reaction score
Currently the XX doesn't stand for anything, at one time I believe it stood for the rivets on the rear pockets, or at least that's what I've heard. Right now we have it will depend on which plant the STF's are coming from, if it's Mexico it will have the XX and the patch printing will be a brighter red, if it's the DR/China it will not have the XX stamp and will be a more maroon color on the tag.

I've got a ton of Levi's I can post pics of in the next day or two...

LVC 47 STF's, 517, 646's in a few washes, 684's in deadstock (prototypes!, 1920's cords

Regular STF's in blue and black and a killer pair of cheaper 517's I got in deadstock and wore for three years with no washing, sick hige...

I've also started picking up embroidered Levi's chambray shirts, and I've got some cool vests and a nice big E trucker jacket and a brass 501 belt buckle and some other misc promo items, cuffs, knickerbacker dolls, shoes, books, ect...

More to follow

Daily555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Black Cherry
Sufu crosspost, of interest to anyone wondering about 47 sizing/stretching. Don't try this at home, kids.

---------------------

Thought you LVC addicts would be interested in a little experiment of mine.

The Levi's website had a 30% off sale for a very short time, so I couldn't pass up the pair of 1947s I've been wanting. I got them for 130-something shipped.

You're usually supposed to size up on these but I wanted to see if I could get a slimmer 501 fit, which is kind of my Moby Dick.

For comparison I wear a 30 in APC New Cures, Ande Whall Grifters, Levi's 511 and modern Levi's 501. (Cures fit loose due to stretching..)

I ordered a 29 in the 1947s. They were.. Ungodly tight completely raw. I could do all the buttons, if I wore them as high as possible, with a little gut-sucking. For science I had to see if I could make them work.

Before soaking them I streched the waist as much as possible by wearing them, and then MacGyer'd a wooden plank to stretch the waist further.

lvc3plankmt0.jpg

You can see that one end of the plank is cut diagonally so that I could, in theory, keep pushing the board in more as the waist stretches. It generally worked, and eventually they were wearable without any discomfort. I figured if I get them back this way after the soak, I'd be aces.

I did the whole sitting in tub of hot water with jeans on thing, and they were again very very tight in the waist. I let them hang for an indeterminate amount of time so that they weren't soaking but still damp and got them on (After much trouble) and went about my business, letting them dry on me.

At this point the waist was about as tight as they were when I first put them on. After a few wears and leaving the board in the waistband when I'm not wearing them, the waist is now mostly comfortable and I got pretty close to the fit I was looking for.

Exception is ass sag, which I suppose is impossible to avoid with a 501 of any type. Tell me what you think! (Note that in my right pocket is my asthma inhaler and back right has my wallet)

lvc1td9.jpg
lvc2gt4.jpg
lvc3jn9.jpg
lvc4qj9.jpg

(Apologies for gratuitous crotch bulge, homeys)

Edit: Realized my specs might help: 5'9" 150 lbs

lmao. If this is the popular look around this forum, no wonder you guys don't like trendy jeans.

calbee

Reaction score
1947 STF a little fooded out with a one inch cuff, cute & classy, perfect for summer. My advice, baby powder your ass and legs this summer to avoid chaffing and or hemroids, haha. Post more pics of the jeans in the stretcher. I wear a 34 and have some 34 1947 STF's I need to do this with.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For less than 20 bucks shipped, this seems like a good investment...

BC, I didn't chime in earlier, but I will now. That has to be the best fit on 47's I've ever seen. Also love the cuffs + PF's... very Sandlot.
bigstar[1].gif

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
I am buying the LVC 1947 501s. But I need the help. I tried on a washed version at the Levi's store today -- I believe it was the "exile" wash that you see here (http://www.levisstore.com/product/in...entPage=family) Also, I'll add that I take a 32W in all of my raw denims -- and I wear the Somet 003's, RB11's, a pair of RRL's, and I have an RRDS. My instinct is to get a 33 or 34W but I'm afraid I'll want the 34 waist and the 33 fit through the leg. And what's the best method to get all the shrink out of them? Wear them in hot water for an hour or so? And after that, will they stretch? And THEN, if they do stretch, and I wash them, will they shrink back to that original point? OK, so what I need is: measurements after a hot soak, and then 3-5 days or so of wear, of a 33x34 and 34x34 and then I can figure out what I need.
Blank, The 34x38 that i had shrunk to about a 31 when It came out of the wash. This was a hot wash. They were painted on MY thighs. My APC NS sz 30 are painted on if I throw on a fresh pair. Hope this helps.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cldpsu
Blank, The 34x38 that i had shrunk to about a 31 when It came out of the wash. This was a hot wash. They were painted on MY thighs. My APC NS sz 30 are painted on if I throw on a fresh pair. Hope this helps.
And after the hot wash, how did the stretching process go? edit: I ask because I bought the 33's and they were too tight; I am returning them and buying the 34's in-store today or tomorrow. I know I'm not going to get a slim fit through the legs in a 36, and there's no 35, so I might have to run with the 34 and cold soak and never hot soak, or I dont know... But an APC NS 30 is pretty tight on me too, though I can button it all the way up.

zub789

Reaction score
I purchased two pairs of 527's today, but when wearing one of th pairs the ass is all bunched up from between the pockets through the crotch. Is there any way to fix this?
Should i wash the jeans and then wear them still damp??
Also how do I keep the waist from streching, and reverse the stretching?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
(search function is always gonna be your friend)

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I cold soaked my 34x38 501xx's and then dried them until completely dry (probably a good hour) in the dryer. I'd done the shrink to fit in the tub three times and they were still too big past the knees. Not just length but like the legs ballooned out.

Anyway, out of the dryer they are perfect and lost hardly any color. The inseam is still stackably long, but the calf areas have shrunk considerably so the profile is much slimmer, a relaxed straight leg with out the weird proportions I was getting.

I'll go for a 34x36 next time, I think.

Just thought I'd share.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads