• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Savile Row convention is to put a buttonhole in both lapels for symmetry, though not all Savile Row tailors do it all the time. Off the row, the practice is less universal and some tailors do just one since you would never wear two flowers. To the extent there is a convention about this, it is a very low power convention and if you have your own preference for one way or the other, there is no reason not to follow it.

Enhances the symmetry, that's about it.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Bill, take a rookie's perspective for what it's worth, but I think a grey flannel DB suit with patch pockets would be pretty sweet--particularly since you have no shortage of 'proper' suits. I'd love such a combination for myself one day.

You make a convincing case.

Actually, I don't have all the basics covered now. I just thought about the reasons why, and I think it's because I had a fairly complete basic Brooks Brothers tailored wardrobe from high school through early professional life. As I added to this as I grew older with more handfinished brands like Oxxford, Barbera, Brioni, etc., I tended to get things that were less basic. The basic stuff got retired for wear and tear (and a taste for better crafted stuff), and so when I moved on to bespoke, I started back with the basics again.

For example, I do not own a solid blue suit. I feel I should have at least two: a fresco SB three piece for summer and saddle months; and a DB cold weather weight two piece. Same with the gray DB flannel suit.

On the other hand, for reasons of position and what I do, I do not need to worry the least bit about what others think of my clothing. So, why worry about checking off the boxes of the basics?

I don't know. I like what you are doing with how you are building up your bespoke wardrobe. I haven't given it as much thought, and often do things impulsively at the last minute.

You know, like getting a length of LL gun club and deciding that will be my next odd jacket.

- B

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I'm still mulling over patch hip pockets for mid to light gray DB flannel suit that I hope to have in the works beginning in a couple of weeks.

I'll probably chicken out and go with besom pockets, but still...I can dress more with more aristocratic leisure than people who are in a stricter environment. Patch pockets might be a nice FU to the work ethic.

- B

Certainly for a SC- in one of those wool/silk summer fabrics
smile.gif
I think I get a welted breast pocket though.

I'd also favor it for a tweed DB
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Or a flannel w/ a good deal of surface interest.
wink.gif

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, for reasons of position and what I do, I do not need to worry the least bit about what others think of my clothing. So, why worry about checking off the boxes of the basics?

I don't know. I like what you are doing with how you are building up your bespoke wardrobe. I haven't given it as much thought, and often do things impulsively at the last minute.

You know, like getting a length of LL gun club and deciding that will be my next odd jacket.

- B

thumbs-up.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Certainly for a SC- in one of those wool/silk summer fabrics
smile.gif
I think I get a welted breast pocket though.

I'd also favor it for a tweed DB
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Or a flannel w/ a good deal of surface interest.
wink.gif

I fall into the camp of being reluctant to do patch breast pockets on suits, despite my love of having all three out pockets done as patches on odd jackets.

The statement, "Or a flannel w/ a good deal of surface interest.," might as well be a direct quotation from Ediwn on the thought of patch pockets on a suit...he basically thinks the woolier the flannel, the better for patch pockets.

Since I'm still tending toward Golden Bale, obviously, we are not looking at the most surface interest in a flannel.

- B

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
. . .
Since I'm still tending toward Golden Bale, obviously, we are not looking at the most surface interest in a flannel.

- B

Since you are leaning towards the Golden Bale flannel you are not really getting a real flannel. You are getting a delicate girlie-man flannel for wearing with a fez and sitting under ceiling fans in shaded cafes while drinking mint tea.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Since you are leaning towards the Golden Bale flannel you are not really getting a real flannel. You are getting a delicate girlie-man flannel for wearing with a fez and sitting under ceiling fans in shaded cafes while drinking mint tea.

Despos, hellllpppp!

- B

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
how about some more pics assholes...

brionihfdbtux1ie0.jpg

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bad pic, but you get the idea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads