• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion trends you don't buy into

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I guess nothing is really objectively trendy if it compliments the wearer.

Great thread all around.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Flip flops! Yes, I love them in summer too, but I have students wear them in the winter. And I just about gag when I'm eating at a restaurant and someone comes in wearing shorts and flip flops. It's beyond lazy, and rare is the day that a guy or girl really has the legs and feet to really show them off.
I have nothing against flip flops but I completely agree. It makes you wonder if anyone ever takes a look at their feet. Most people's legs and more importantly feet are disgusting. If you are going to wear something that draws my attention (flip flops = exposed skin), please take a look at yourself. The same girls that will do their hair 3 times because it's not perfect or spend 20 minutes picking out an outfit, don't have any qualms tossing on a pair on flip-flops on their nasty feet. Same goes with guys and you can insert "legs" where feet is, though I would rarely say legs are "nasty"

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
Whenever I've carried a bag like that I've felt less than dignified, and I've thought the same when looking at other people.

Agreed; hence, my comment that messengers are better suited to casual wear.

I see no reason why observing that an item of clothing or accessory makes the wearer take on a feminine quality is something to be wary of.

I didn't explain my self very well. I'll try and be succinct. Our ideas about what construes a "masculine" or "feminine" look can be culturally- and/or socially-influenced. For example, from my perspective, there is nothing the least bit "feminine" about slinging a bag on your shoulder, whether it's a duffel, messenger bag, or brief case with a strap. If that bag was designed as a woman's handbag, then one might possibly say that it looked "feminizing", but assuming that it was a gender-neutral bag, then this is a bit of stretch IMO.

Another question I have for you is: Assuming that the look is slightly "feminizing", why would this be bad? Why is this a negative thing? Why does it bother you?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Antonio Centeno
Skinny Ties and Lapels....basically anything that is worn because it is hot for the season unless it naturally compliments the person wearing it.

Agreed.

Originally Posted by macuser3of5
So I guess nothing is really objectively trendy if it compliments the wearer.

Do not agree. Some trendy items can look great on some people, and garbage on others. Whether they look good or not on a particular person has no bearing on whether specific items are trendy or not.

I'll agree with the timelessness thing. I think it a reaction to the insecurity of the modern world. I'm neither a sociologist nor a psychologist, so no one call me on that.

Hazad

Reaction score
If you've ever been to the Southeast, you would know that boat shoes have been worn consistently for quite awhile now, and saying GQ brought them back ignores this fact. Because of this, I don't consider them a trend (at least for many of us who do wear them).

Curious, have they really gotten popular in the rest of the country? I moved to Ohio for law school and I have yet to see anyone wear boat shoes.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
I didn't explain my self very well. I'll try and be succinct. Our ideas about what construes a "masculine" or "feminine" look can be culturally- and/or socially-influenced. For example, from my perspective, there is nothing the least bit "feminine" about slinging a bag on your shoulder, whether it's a duffel, messenger bag, or brief case with a strap. If that bag was designed as a woman's handbag, then one might possibly say that it looked "feminizing", but assuming that it was a gender-neutral bag, then this is a bit of stretch IMO.

Another question I have for you is: Assuming that the look is slightly "feminizing", why would this be bad? Why is this a negative thing? Why does it bother you?

I'll indulge you and explain further. It is the specific look of a bag with a strap worn over the shoulder that hangs to waist height. To see a man with one reminds me of a woman with a long-strapped handbag in the way that it hangs and must occasionally be adjusted or held while walking. Something about it has always seemed 'off' to me.

Our ideas about what looks good or bad are largely influenced by cultural factors, and this very thread was created so that people might offer their personal likes and dislikes; so why single out my comment among so many for the glare of your spotlight? I sense a barely contained agenda protruding through.
In my culture, (probably most cultures in a vigorous and healthy state) men adopting feminine traits is seen as a negative thing. This shouldn't need explaining to you, nor should I need to go to these lengths to justify it in a thread (and a world) where solid justifications for individual preferences are mostly absent and unnecessary.

kookydooky

Reaction score
Agreed Rocks, and they've been worn in europe for ages. The people criticizing slim pants are often the people who are too porcine to fit them.

More like the people who criticized them are the ones who swear by them now, or for the time being.
smile.gif

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
I'll indulge you and explain further. It is the specific look of a bag with a strap worn over the shoulder that hangs to waist height. To see a man with one reminds me of a woman with a long-strapped handbag in the way that it hangs and must occasionally be adjusted or held while walking. Something about it has always seemed 'off' to me.

Our ideas about what looks good or bad are largely influenced by cultural factors, and this very thread was created so that people might offer their personal likes and dislikes; so why single out my comment among so many for the glare of your spotlight? I sense a barely contained agenda protruding through.
In my culture, (probably most cultures in a vigorous and healthy state) men adopting feminine traits is seen as a negative thing. This shouldn't need explaining to you, nor should I need to go to these lengths to justify it in a thread (and a world) where solid justifications for individual preferences are mostly absent and unnecessary.

What are the other options, though? Backpacks(Ick), briefcases(too formal for 9/10 situations) and fanny packs(LOL). Basically that leaves bulging pockets or liveried servants to carry your luggage.

novqilin

Reaction score
all the "concept" GQ try very hard selling

like sockless, man bag, beltless, "bold" suit and tie combo etc

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over-priced/hyped hi-top trainers with jeans (casually) tucked in..

Sherlockian

Reaction score
Messenger bags like the one Beckham has in that photo make him look like a jumped-up paperboy.

Similar disdain goes for pretty much any "manbag". Most blokes just end up looking like my grandmother. The only manbag I would admit to handling is the one I empty inside my wife every night.

I'll stick to my coterie of liveried servants hauling my luggage.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ You are causing great offense to jumped up paperboys everywhere

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Manbag...My Dad used to have one thirty years ago and I always hated this stupid sacoche..
Bowtie...I don't hate them but i do find them ridiculous on 99% on people wearing them..
Pocket squares when they're not appropriate...

presence

Reaction score
Sports jackets with shorts. It look is too contrived. Too much incongruity. The people wearing sport jackets with shorts look ridiculous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads