• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taking a road trip... what's in Portland?

injung

Reaction score
As a former resident I can say Portland is awesome - it has most of the perks of a big city but also a ton of outdoors activities. And since it's summer you won't have to worry about being rained on the whole time (though it's still an outside possibility)

Pretty much all the nightlife stuff is in or near downtown so it's fairly easy to go bar hopping. It's possible to check out many of the places listed above in one night.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You're not heading down for Moto GP are you? I've been seriously considering riding down for that.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I wasn't actually but only because it never even crossed my mind. I'll have to look more into that. I'd love to see it. Do you know the date off hand? I'll be leaving Vancouver around the 28th or 29th of June I think.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think it's around the 18-20th of July. All of Monterey is pretty much full though except for a few "dude's floor" spots. So I kind of doubt it's gonna happen unless I feel like sleeping on pavement. But you never know, with a sleeping pad, pavement isn't so bad.

bomber

Reaction score
Don't forget Voodoo Donuts after the bars all close. Nothing like waiting in line at 3am to get a donut looking like this:

voodoo_doll.jpg

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mary's Club was my favorite stip club. It was a pretty punk rock-low key type place with atypical strippers and great beer plus 25 cent pinball. It was the only stip club yo could hangoput in and not feel like you needed to shower when you left.
Its down town of Burnside.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to World Cup, which is directly across the street from the hostel I'm staying at. It had good coffee and an interesting, spicy biscotti (I'm a biscotti man) that dipped well, but the atmosphere was a little hard-edged for long-term sitting. The cupping room looked interesting, though. I'm actually using their Wifi right now.

Because I had more time, I went to a little place on 13 ave, I think it was around Johnson, I can't remember the name. They had just made a couple french presses worth of coffee, and it was delicious, unfortunately they were biscottiless.

After I went to my appointment, there was a quick run through of Powell's, then off to Stumptown at the Ace Hotel. Again, great coffee, good biscotti, I was satisfied. Then some wandering around, a stop at Cupcake Jones, and now back at the hostel. Two cupcakes, three biscotti, and four cups of coffee. In a bit I'll go out and check out first Thursday.

With any luck, I'll be moving to Portland in August. I need to get some rubber for my soles.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Mary's Club was my favorite stip club. It was a pretty punk rock-low key type place with atypical strippers and great beer plus 25 cent pinball. It was the only stip club yo could hangoput in and not feel like you needed to shower when you left.
Its down town of Burnside.

+1. Used to like getting some Dim Sum down the street before coming here to..."relax." It really is a Portland staple.
Originally Posted by Willsw
With any luck, I'll be moving to Portland in August. I need to get some rubber for my soles.
Sounds like you're having a good time. Head up to 23rd St if you get a chance (now or in Aug).

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The unnamed place was called Acorn, and it was a few blocks down from Johnson. Currently, I'm at a Coffee People in PDX, enjoying their artisanal biscotti. And to think I didn't even go in half the coffeeshops I passed.

A day in Portland was very nice, First Thursday was a little disappointing but maybe I didn't know where to go. I should be enrolled at PNWCA for Fall. Goodbye New York.

And that is all.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
+1. Used to like getting some Dim Sum down the street before coming here to..."relax." It really is a Portland staple.
Funny, I used to hit up the floating Sushi boat place down the block, some thing about Asian food and strip clubs (insert raw fish joke here)_ That and Hefewizen with a slice of lemon on a hot day. F ing great. For the TS try the Baghdad, its a theater run by the Widmere brothers (local brewers) and serves good beer and pizza. Plus it is a truly great old building. Its on Hawthorn and some thing in S.E. There are a bunch of stores, and bars in the area so its worth a trip over to that half of town.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ I thought Baghdad was owned by McMenamins, the same people who own the Kennedy school and half the bars in PDX.
Your right, Widmere does make a good hefewizen though, which is what got me thinking about beer and so the Baghdad. Another sugestion for PDX is the Portland Brewing company, they have (or had) a nice brew pub just down the block from the theater on Hawthorn. An excellent way to waste an afternoon (or at least it was when I still drank)

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought something was off. It's been a few years since I've been in PDX but I distinctly remember the pizza tasting like McMenamins.

BridgePort's on Hawthrone near Baghdad. Are you sure you're not thinking of that and not PBC? BP definitely has some good beers.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought something was off. It's been a few years since I've been in PDX but I distinctly remember the pizza tasting like McMenamins.

BridgePort's on Hawthrone near Baghdad. Are you sure you're not thinking of that and not PBC? BP definitely has some good beers.

Man thats the problem with bars; spend to much time inside and you cant remember where you've been Maybe it was Bridgeport, I remember they served twenty ounce pints and had a great IPA, but then again that pretty much goes for half the bars in town.
Anyhow its a nice little strip. Did you ever go to that Irish pub just a little down the way on Hawthorn? Mc somethings or some such, I think they actually moved way to **** and gone on like 60th.
One of my all time favorite places to get well pissed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads