• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion trends you don't buy into

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i dont think square toes were made a 'trend' per se, but moreso 'after the fact'.

what i mean is, square toes shoes like kenneth cole and stuff are not really made on an expensive last or outsourced to an artisan/ specialized company making lasts.

it is a cheap simple last that is shelled out and almost looks like a box where it is simple relatively to slap out hundreds of shoes by putting on a top, sides, and front.

this reason being, so easy to make , but since it is so ubiquitous, that poeple just think it is a trend or made it a trend after the fact.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
So basically this? :

www.thombrowne.com/

Thom_Browne.jpg

Jon.

worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

raiderbuck

Reaction score
Hands down it's square toe shoes. They are everywhere.

oneblood

Reaction score
American Apparel in general. Not distinguishable from other far less expensive basics. If you want high quality basics there are far better options for slightly more.

Spilotro

Reaction score
Abercrombie, Hollister, Aeropostale, etc. (the crap people my age waste insane amounts of money on).

The preppy look, in general.

Any type of sandals (I'm a shoes-only guy), or shoes without socks... yuck.

Sportcoats with t-shirts.

Polo shirts, only because I don't like the way I look in them.

oneblood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spilotro
Any type of sandals (I'm a shoes-only guy), or shoes without socks... yuck.

I totally forgot about that. I agree. Especially the sandals with pants thing. It looks terrible and I never understand how people like that look.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
+1 on boat shoes. terrible then, terrible now.

also:

-"dress" shorts
-ties with jeans (tho I've been guilty of it heh)
-vests, not as part of a 3 piece suit
-rolled pants to manpri length
-sandals

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"timeless clothing". aka the fashion trend of SF

coconut

Reaction score
shoe: I have always wondered if square-toe shoes were cheaper to make. Do you have any verification on that?

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BABuckeye
Boat shoes had a specific purpose, or specific application when they were popular in the Preppy hayday of the 1980s. Sailors and yachties needed non-marking rubber soles that had slits or channels in the soles that provided some traction on a wet surface. Thus, the white soled Sperry topsider.

In the last 20 years, new materials have been introduced into sailing shoes (and gear) so most sailors and yachties wear something that looks like an athletic shoe now. Or, they wear Keens, those ugly but functional sandals with the hard rubber toe covering that were designed by a sailor who was tired of jamming his toe on the rail of his sailboat.

If form follows function, there is no longer a need for boat shoes to look like the original Sperry topsider. I suppose some would buy them because they are nostalgic. Perhaps buying Sperry topsiders (or their look alikes) is similar to buying a Barbour waxed cotton jacket--it has a certain look, but it is heavier and less functional than a gore-tex jacket for rain protection.

To me, the boat shoes looked best when they were weathered: sun bleached and sewater stained. In that case, they looked like actual boat shoes rather than street shoes patterned after boat shoes.

Where I grew up, sailing was a summer sport. Therefore, boat shoes were a summer-only clothing item, like shorts and polo shirts. Also, I looked at boat shoes as being pertinent to sailing--an athletic shoe of sorts. Accordingly, I would not wear them in the colder months and I would not wear them when not on a boat or near water, just as I would not wear hiking boots or ski gear or tennis shoes in inappropriate situations.

In summary, boat shoes have their purpose and in the boating context, they are fine.

I see your point, but if you are to throw out every item of clothing which contains a hangover from an obsolete function, then you'll surely be dismissing some of your own stuff. Boat shoes once had a function which is no longer needed, but the style which grew out of that need has remained and is no less legitimate because you can remember why they came about in the first place.

I'll confess that I used to dislike the style of boat shoes, but I've warmed to it after seeing them so well executed as part of stylish modern outfits.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh...
I've never bought into manbags in general, but especially messenger bags. There might be a few styles that work, (rucksacks, briefcases and dufflebags - sometimes you have to carry stuff) but for the most part having some sort of bag over your shoulder has a feminizing effect and just looks bad.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneblood
American Apparel in general. Not distinguishable from other far less expensive basics. If you want high quality basics there are far better options for slightly more.

Such as?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads