• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How seriously are tartan & regimental stripe patterns taken in the UK?

John Ellis

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt
The government tit looks like that of Hillary, or even Barbara Bush. The free market allows you to find a tit that is young, willing and firm. Embrace titty choice

There didn't seem any shortage of free market takers for the Hillary/Barbara tit over at Bear Stearns/J. P. Morgan. In fact large swathes of US business are the most eager feeders.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Ellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt
The government tit looks like that of Hillary, or even Barbara Bush. The free market allows you to find a tit that is young, willing and firm. Embrace titty choice

There didn't seem any shortage of free market takers for the Hillary/Barbara tit over at Bear Stearns/J. P. Morgan. In fact large swathes of US business are the most eager feeders.

You sir win the award for the first time I have ever seen someone reply to a sig file, in a totally non sequitor fashion, in a thread about tartan and kilts.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Thank you for the correction. I don't know what I was thinking this afternoon, but for some reason I thought Sobieski was their last names and they were Polish. Outside of their national origin, they are the ones to blame for all this "clan tartan" stuff. IMO, it all came about because Queen Victoria basically thought it was "cool" to be Scottish.

The doodlesack must have been drowning out my thinking
wink.gif

The root of the "Polish connection" and the phony name Sobieski comes from the fact that James III "The Old Pretender" married Maria Clementina Sobieska, a granddaughter of the great Polish king Jan Sobieski. She was the mother of Bonnie Prince Charlie and Cardinal York and would have been the charlatans' great-grandmother had they really been grandsons of Bonnie Prince Charlie, as they claimed.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
The root of the "Polish connection" and the phony name Sobieski comes from the fact that James III "The Old Pretender" married Maria Clementina Sobieska, a granddaughter of the great Polish king Jan Sobieski. She was the mother of Bonnie Prince Charlie and Cardinal York and would have been the charlatans' great-grandmother had they really been grandsons of Bonnie Prince Charlie, as they claimed.

What happened the pictures of AE spectator you promised and everyone is asking about in the other thread? This is an issue you need to address.
plain.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
What happened the pictures of AE spectator you promised and everyone is asking about in the other thread? This is an issue you need to address.
plain.gif

Maybe we need to follow Jan around and reply "Spectator Pictures" to anything he posts until he relents, the way the shoe fairy was doing with Conne and the Attolini tie.

Bohdathone

Reaction score
Piobaire you're quite right about the correct length; I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that.

John Ellis

Reaction score
You sir win the award for the first time I have ever seen someone reply to a sig file, in a totally non sequitor fashion, in a thread about tartan and kilts.

Well I assume Ben like the same sort of **** I do.

Crowlin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by katon
How seriously do people take tartan and regimental/school/club tie patterns in the UK? How readily do people recognize the various designs?

In the United States of course people wear them but no one takes them at all seriously. (In my limited experience, anyway.) Emblematic ties still suggest at least a vague interest in whatever is being depicted if not actual association, and members of the local Caledonian societies will wear their family tartans, but that's about the extent of it.

Keep in mind this "clan tartan" gibberish is mainly perpetuated by Anglo-American "clan societies" with no tangible connection to Gaeldom or even Scotland, and kilt-makers hyping their products.

As to the Somhairle who was Ri Innse Gall and "half Viking" - I find it curious why people feel a need to point this out ad nauseum. His Kingdom was a Gaelic one, not "Scandinavian." Some Roman Emperors were of Illyrian and Arabic descent, but we rarely hear that being used to try to make the Roman Empire of the 3rd century AD seem as though it was anything other than Roman.

This tosh about tartans and kilts and their correct formal wear was concocted at a time when our people were being culturally suppressed and forced off their lands and the very people doing this decided to have a costume party. It is mainly a WASP costume show with little or no correlation to our, or theirs, actual heritage.

As far as Regimental Ties, Droog's personal story is a good illustration of what may happen in any Commonwealth country should anyone have the poor situational awareness to wear certain ties in certain places.

If you walked into a Regimental, Squadron or Company bar, or any military-related event wearing a tie of a particular Regt/Sqn/Coy you never served in, the reaction would be explosive, to say the least. Anywhere else, few will know the significance.

Speaking as a British soldier and as a Gael I take great offence to any symbols or aspects relating to my service or ethnic heritage being appropriated and misused, or outsiders presuming they are entitled to any ownership of it. Anyone can go ahead and wear almost any tartan-pattern garment they want, but can not claim to have the right to speak for us or control our heritage. This includes external input on history which seems to be popular among certain enthusiasts - and I would ask people to be mindful of this in general and while visiting.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Droog & Crowlin seemed to have answered the OP's question. I also like the simple acronym WWNS (what would Nonk say) for brevity's sake....

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But really - why kilts? ...because Scottish sheep can hear a zipper a mile away.
rimshot.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
But really - why kilts?

...because Scottish sheep can hear a zipper a mile away.

rimshot.gif

Drunken lout repeatedly shouting to man in kilt: What's under yer kilt?!
Man in kilt: Your wife's lipstick.

rimshot.gif

John Ellis

Reaction score
Drunken lout repeatedly shouting to man in kilt: What's under yer kilt?!
Man in kilt: Your wife's lipstick.

rimshot.gif

"Your wife's lipstick" needs to be delivered in a real Scottish hard man burr as in:

YRRRRR WOOIFFFES LIIPSTIK JIMMMY. Followed by a head butt.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads