• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Stupid question: anybody know what flower Prince Charles is wearing in his lapel? Looks like a carnation.

Skyler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
A couple random DB jackets:

306510673_mAUWL-L.jpg

The tie in the second photo's a knock-out... from whence did it come?

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Stupid question: anybody know what flower Prince Charles is wearing in his lapel? Looks like a carnation.

I would like to know too. Seems like he always wears ones that are just the right size (not too large).

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I don't see patch pockets on any of V's three random jackets. The OXXford looks like a besom to me.

They're not patch, but I'm liking patches these days. Patches with flaps..hmmm
smile.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
smile.gif

I'm still mulling over patch hip pockets for mid to light gray DB flannel suit that I hope to have in the works beginning in a couple of weeks.

I'll probably chicken out and go with besom pockets, but still...I can dress more with more aristocratic leisure than people who are in a stricter environment. Patch pockets might be a nice FU to the work ethic.

- B

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I'm still mulling over patch hip pockets for mid to light gray DB flannel suit that I hope to have in the works beginning in a couple of weeks.

I'll probably chicken out and go with besom pockets, but still...I can dress more with more aristocratic leisure than people who are in a stricter environment. Patch pockets might be a nice FU to the work ethic.

- B

Don't do it Bill...flannel deserves better!

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
smile.gif

I have a tan fresco collegiate style suit on the way - patch flapped hip pockets, patch breast pocket hooked single vent with track stitching and lapped seams on the trousers. But if I weren't looking for a screamingly casual suit, I would probably skip flaps on patch pockets.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Don't do it Bill...flannel deserves better!

Hah! Now you're encouraging me...

Usually, however, when the cloud of possibilities in my mind finally precipitates into a commision, I end up being conservative.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I have a tan fresco collegiate style suit on the way - patch flapped hip pockets, patch breast pocket hooked single vent with track stitching and lapped seams on the trousers. But if I weren't looking for a screamingly casual suit, I would probably skip flaps on patch pockets.

That sounds really great, D.

I hope that you will not be too shy to post pics.

- B

palmettogent

Reaction score
Here's a question related to DB style. Should a DB suit always have a buttonhole in each lapel, or is that left to the preference of the wearer?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bill, take a rookie's perspective for what it's worth, but I think a grey flannel DB suit with patch pockets would be pretty sweet--particularly since you have no shortage of 'proper' suits. I'd love such a combination for myself one day.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

It looks like a carnation to me. The problem I have with carnations is that their base (the green leaves that hold the flower together) is too thick to fit through the buttonhole so the flower points up instead of out. But if you strip the leaves, then the flower kind of falls apart. I haven't yet tried using string to hold the flower together, or maybe it works best only with SR-style long lapel holes (I haven't tried it on anything but my Zegna suits).

--Andre

raphael

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Personally, I think Prince Michael of Kent's DB are very well balanced. <snip photos>

His ties and knots rock!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by palmettogent
Here's a question related to DB style. Should a DB suit always have a buttonhole in each lapel, or is that left to the preference of the wearer?

Savile Row convention is to put a buttonhole in both lapels for symmetry, though not all Savile Row tailors do it all the time. Off the row, the practice is less universal and some tailors do just one since you would never wear two flowers. To the extent there is a convention about this, it is a very low power convention and if you have your own preference for one way or the other, there is no reason not to follow it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics