• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion trends you don't buy into

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was never a fan of boat shoes even before they weren't trendy.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skinny ties
Skinny lapels
Tie bars
Trench coats when there is no chance of rain
Colored wayfarers
Pants hemmed at/above ankle

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After going through the mid-70's wide lapel, big collar look and then the skinny ties of the early 80's, i realized that too much or too little is only fun for about 6 months. I don't buy into the super short inseam, the too short jacket either. I would rather buy higher quality clothing and stick to a cut that will look good for years.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Skinny ties

+1 on super skinny ties (2 inches or less across).

I do like the ties being offered now that are between 2-3 inches wide. I bought the bulk of my ties 5-10 years ago and they are all 3.5 inches across or larger because that is all that was sold at the time. I'm a thin guy, so I'm loving the slimmer ties currently offered by Polo and J.Crew.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
eh.gif
confused.gif

where, uh, are you hanging out and seeing this?

The Ohio State University?

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Fixed.

laugh.gif

Jon.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Striped sportcoats, esp. of the dark navy w/ the bold contrast stripe in one color (white, silver).

Here to stay? I can't buy into it myself, but I wonder if the casual, "let's go to the boat race" associations are not so ancient as to be forgotten.

Broad horizontal stirpes, e.g., navy and white, were once associated strongly with prison clothing. I think people have forgotten all about that. That's a fashion trend that I've been seeing more and more since, at least, that Spiderman movie with the Sandman who wore that cool shirt. I see those broad horizontal stripes everywhere. I think they are here to stay. It's been decades since prisoners wore anything but orange jumpsuits. And people like stripes. I would buy into this but haven't yet.

BABuckeye

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Slim cut trousers. I prefer a more classic cut and find the current vogue for ball-huggers a little off-putting. Sure, it looks good on some gents, but certainly not on me.
+1

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Skinny ties
Skinny lapels
Tie bars
Trench coats when there is no chance of rain
Colored wayfarers
Pants hemmed at/above ankle

I agree on all of them except tie bars. They may have become somewhat trendy but they're still a classic item that look good when not worn with the rest of the downtown hipster uniform.

BABuckeye

Reaction score
Boat shoes had a specific purpose, or specific application when they were popular in the Preppy hayday of the 1980s. Sailors and yachties needed non-marking rubber soles that had slits or channels in the soles that provided some traction on a wet surface. Thus, the white soled Sperry topsider.

In the last 20 years, new materials have been introduced into sailing shoes (and gear) so most sailors and yachties wear something that looks like an athletic shoe now. Or, they wear Keens, those ugly but functional sandals with the hard rubber toe covering that were designed by a sailor who was tired of jamming his toe on the rail of his sailboat.

If form follows function, there is no longer a need for boat shoes to look like the original Sperry topsider. I suppose some would buy them because they are nostalgic. Perhaps buying Sperry topsiders (or their look alikes) is similar to buying a Barbour waxed cotton jacket--it has a certain look, but it is heavier and less functional than a gore-tex jacket for rain protection.

To me, the boat shoes looked best when they were weathered: sun bleached and sewater stained. In that case, they looked like actual boat shoes rather than street shoes patterned after boat shoes.

Where I grew up, sailing was a summer sport. Therefore, boat shoes were a summer-only clothing item, like shorts and polo shirts. Also, I looked at boat shoes as being pertinent to sailing--an athletic shoe of sorts. Accordingly, I would not wear them in the colder months and I would not wear them when not on a boat or near water, just as I would not wear hiking boots or ski gear or tennis shoes in inappropriate situations.

In summary, boat shoes have their purpose and in the boating context, they are fine.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I`m open to just about anything except capri pants.

element02

Reaction score
Boat shoes are great for sailing, but not as a fashion trend. I also don't buy into the cropped suit trend, skinny ties, faux-hawks, boot-cut jeans and overly embellished clothing.

Thoughts on shorts with a jacket, tie and wingtips? Not sure if this is one of the latest trends.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BABuckeye
Boat shoes had a specific purpose, or specific application when they were popular in the Preppy hayday of the 1980s. Sailors and yachties needed non-marking rubber soles that had slits or channels in the soles that provided some traction on a wet surface. Thus, the white soled Sperry topsider.

In the last 20 years, new materials have been introduced into sailing shoes (and gear) so most sailors and yachties wear something that looks like an athletic shoe now. Or, they wear Keens, those ugly but functional sandals with the hard rubber toe covering that were designed by a sailor who was tired of jamming his toe on the rail of his sailboat.

If form follows function, there is no longer a need for boat shoes to look like the original Sperry topsider. I suppose some would buy them because they are nostalgic. Perhaps buying Sperry topsiders (or their look alikes) is similar to buying a Barbour waxed cotton jacket--it has a certain look, but it is heavier and less functional than a gore-tex jacket for rain protection.

To me, the boat shoes looked best when they were weathered: sun bleached and sewater stained. In that case, they looked like actual boat shoes rather than street shoes patterned after boat shoes.

Where I grew up, sailing was a summer sport. Therefore, boat shoes were a summer-only clothing item, like shorts and polo shirts. Also, I looked at boat shoes as being pertinent to sailing--an athletic shoe of sorts. Accordingly, I would not wear them in the colder months and I would not wear them when not on a boat or near water, just as I would not wear hiking boots or ski gear or tennis shoes in inappropriate situations.

In summary, boat shoes have their purpose and in the boating context, they are fine.

+1 on the Keenes or rubber seaboots for cruddy weather. If not for deck hardware, I'd just go barefoot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads