• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hanover shoes?

davo10375

Reaction score
Was at a thrift shore today, and saw a pair of nice shoes that looked quite nice (albeit old). Looked for a name on the shoe, and made out what looked like "hanover". Pending my return and not fitting into these shoes, do they have any worth? According to google hanover stopped making shoes in 1974, so I assume they are quite rare. Any idea how much I could sell these for?

Wasn't too sure where to put this by the way, feel free to move it if it is wrongly placed.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They were once a very reputable shoe manufacturer and produced some very good shoes including shell cordovan. Their LB SHeppard line was named for their founder or president and I see these the most at thrift shops. I've sold many Hanover double leather sole and heel plain toe and wingtip shoes. Broke my heart to have to sell a pair of Hanover whiskey shells last year but they were a little too big.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Deacon
They were once a very reputable shoe manufacturer and produced some very good shoes including shell cordovan. Their LB SHeppard line was named for their founder or president and I see these the most at thrift shops. I've sold many Hanover double leather sole and heel plain toe and wingtip shoes. Broke my heart to have to sell a pair of Hanover whiskey shells last year but they were a little too big.

The L. B. Sheppard line Hanovers are very nice. I sold a pair of L.B.s in #8 shell just last week and they were a great buy for someone as the name doesn't draw the interest that AE, Alden and even vintage Florsheim do for shell shoes. I think some company still owns the Hanover name so be careful with newer ones as they can be real crap, but jump on a pair of vintage L.B.s if you find them.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Broke my heart to have to sell a pair of Hanover whiskey shells last year but they were a little too big.

Just curious, how you'll define a little too big?

Pundit

Reaction score
I believe the production date stoppage to be in error as I purchased #8 shell blucher at a Hanover factory store in 1985-ish (UTC, San Diego). Unfortunately I outgrew them as the shell had a depth of color that my current Aldens don't come close to.

For some reason I associate them with Bostonian -- I sould be in error on this point.

davo10375

Reaction score
Thanks guys

Not sure if its a dumb question, but how can i tell if they are lb sheppard/shells?

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up the shells mentioned below as a gift to my dad. They knocked his socks off as being one of the nicest shells he ever saw. That is quite a statement coming from someone who knows all about many, many great American shoes from the fifties and sixties. Fwiw he advised to avoid the lower line Hanover shoes.
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
The L. B. Sheppard line Hanovers are very nice. I sold a pair of L.B.s in #8 shell just last week and they were a great buy for someone as the name doesn't draw the interest that AE, Alden and even vintage Florsheim do for shell shoes. I think some company still owns the Hanover name so be careful with newer ones as they can be real crap, but jump on a pair of vintage L.B.s if you find them.

Hoofit

Reaction score
I just sold a pair of LB Shepards in shell on ebay last week. They we NOS with the horween cordovan tag still attatched. They were very well constructed, and were as nice as AE in my oppinion.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hoofit
I just sold a pair of LB Shepards in shell on ebay last week. They we NOS with the horween cordovan tag still attatched. They were very well constructed, and were as nice as AE in my oppinion.

I was watching that auction as those were very nice looking shoes. Unfortunately they were not my size.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Just curious, how you'll define a little too big?

Kind sir,
I'm a 12D and can wear some 12.5 and some 13. My non LB Sheppard shell Hanovers were 13D and were long and wide on my feet. I wore them for 8 months with a padded leather insert that helped alot but although they were a beautiful color, `I thought I could do better by selling them and buying pairs of better fitting shells down the road. I did the same with some AE Shell Cambridge 12EEE. I' ve since bought the following shells in 12D: Darlton, Alden Revello PTB, Alden #8 NST, Florsheim imperial PTB, BB LHS 763 and ALden 986 in 12.5C for an exact average of $150 each thanks to ebay, SF and thrifts.

In my humble opinion they have AE shells beat hands down. In the Fall, I sold a pair of NOS that I bought from a widow. She sent them to me in the original package with the packing/order slip from Hanover(dated 1987) and they had the Horween tag and shell cord card. They were not LB Sheppards but were the sturdiest example of shell wingtips I had ever seen. I wonder if it was because they were small, 7.5D?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hanovers are good shoes and one of the main NOS American shoe names I look for on ebay. The others being Nettleton, Walk Over, and Florsheim.

rtr

Reaction score
I have two pairs of the LB Sheppard Signatures (a tan plain toe blucher and a #8 shell plain toe blucher). Both are clearly marked "LB Sheppard Signatures" on the insole. I agree with the other posters that these were very good shoes back in their day--probably not as good as Nettleton, Alden, or vintage Johnston & Murphy (vintage J & Ms can be really, really nice), but still very solid all the same.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kind sir,
I'm a 12D and can wear some 12.5 and some 13. My non LB Sheppard shell Hanovers were 13D and were long and wide on my feet. I wore them for 8 months with a padded leather insert that helped alot but although they were a beautiful color, `I thought I could do better by selling them and buying pairs of better fitting shells down the road. I did the same with some AE Shell Cambridge 12EEE. I' ve since bought the following shells in 12D: Darlton, Alden Revello PTB, Alden #8 NST, Florsheim imperial PTB, BB LHS 763 and ALden 986 in 12.5C for an exact average of $150 each thanks to ebay, SF and thrifts.

In my humble opinion they have AE shells beat hands down. In the Fall, I sold a pair of NOS that I bought from a widow. She sent them to me in the original package with the packing/order slip from Hanover(dated 1987) and they had the Horween tag and shell cord card. They were not LB Sheppards but were the sturdiest example of shell wingtips I had ever seen. I wonder if it was because they were small, 7.5D?

You tried your best. I can feel for your "loss".

rs232

Reaction score
IThvc.jpg

jgyEF.jpg

Impossibly nice shell on these derbies - sort of a mid brown with a deep red glow in sun (no idea what colour). Double sole, split welt, lasted trees too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads